“A Pearl in Tamarindo Beach”
Review of Hotel Luna Llena

Hotel Luna Llena
Ranked #10 of 45 Tamarindo B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I can't stop but saying good things about this property. It's a little gem in Tamarindo beach, the location is perfect, it's close to the beach to the market and the main strip but it's also nice and quiet and away from all the main strip noise. The staff was excellent, my room was gorgeous with A/C (you will need it), cable TV, Wi-Fi, a beautiful bed and bathroom. I spent Easter Sunday in the pool drinking great tropical drinks made from fresh fruit. I also used the restaurant quite a bit and the Italian food was great (coming from an Italian it means a lot). I felt safe (they have night security staff) and all my needs were met (I'd like to mention that I work at a Five Stars Five Diamonds hotel and I do know what service means). The hotel owners are an Italian couple very active in the community (they started a foundation to help and protect the howling monkeys as well as creating a children play area) and I can't wait to see again Pino and his wife Simona, Ms. Marianella (she works at the front desk and organized my zip-line canopy tour as well as a beautiful day on the Marlin Del Rey Catamaran) and Tony who runs the bar and the Restaurant.
Thank you guys for the great hospitality, I am already planning my trip back.

Room Tip: Depending on what you need, just send them an e-mail and they will choose what is best for you
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed March 26, 2012

It was a delightful stay at this bed and breakfast in Tamarindo. My air conditioned room was bright and cheeful, nice big bath room, and decent closet,
It has a lovely pool with excellent pina coladas at pool bar - pizza too.
An easy walk to the beach or stores and lots of restaurants and taxis makes getting around simple -
The music you hear some nights is either music or noise depending on your taste- I am in my sixties so .......
I'd be happy to stay there again any time.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed there March 8/9 and were so comfortable and happy with our choice! It's far enough away from the main strip to avoid the noise, but close enough to easily walk to both town and the beach. The B&B keepers are incredibly friendly and the grounds cat, Mauricio, is always there to greet you. There is always someone at the bar to serve you up a fresh drink when needed and free breakfast is included. For the price you pay, you get a wonderful little hideaway with all the necessary comforts. I'll say the ONLY major negative was that we didn't have hot water. But honestly, after coming in from the steamy days, a cool shower wasn't the worst thing.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
HOTELLUNALLENA, Proprietario at Hotel Luna Llena, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2012

Hello Miss Asley,
Thank you for your review about Hotel Luna LLena.
Unfortunately during your stay we had some problems with a gas water heather and was impossible to find the spare parts to fix it, so we bought a new one in S. Jose.
The problem was with the transportation that was definitely too long, infact we waited for 4 days the new heather.
Now we solved this problem and all our clients can enjoy again of a hot shower.
Hoping to met you again at Luna Llena, thank you in advance and best regards.

Pino Trimarchi
HOTEL LUNA LLENA OWNER

Reviewed March 10, 2012

This hotel is simple and charming but it's not for people who have back problems or are sensitive to noise. As others have pointed out, it's more of a hostel. At all costs, avoid room number 12. It is right over the entrance to the hotel and the front desk, and is probably the noisiest room in the place. The windows are louvered, so they can't block out the noise or the heat, even when the air conditioning is on. One night the sports bar down the street had a special permit to play loud music until 1:00 a.m. Even with ear plugs, I could still hear the music. And then the howler monkeys started up at 5:00 a.m. I tried each of the three saggy beds in the room and each gave me a backache. All in all, those four days of our vacation were a writeoff. If we'd had another room, our stay could have been pleasant, I guess.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zaychara
HOTELLUNALLENA, Direttore at Hotel Luna Llena, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2012

Hello,
My name is Pino and I am the manager of the Hotel Luna Llena.
I am sorry to read you bad review about our Hotel because there are some points that are not under the Hotel responsibility.
-The first point it’s about the music.
I understand your complain for the loud music of the Restaurant located 2 blocks from the Hotel but it’s not our responsibility.
As I told that night by phone when you call the reception, i called the local Police Station to ask what’s was happening and Police explained me that they had all the regular permits to play music through 1.00AM.
So I think that if they are totally respectful of the Costa Rican law they can play live music……and don't forget also that was the night of the Super Bowl and for the American people it's party time. As you wrote on your review you stayed 4 nights at the Hotel and the music only was on Saturday night, for a Special Occasion as the Super bowl. This is only to clarify to future guest that was the ONLY time that they had live music at Kahiki Restaurant.
-The second point it's about Howler monkeys.
I understand that the monkeys waked you up you early in the morning, but to be honest the monkeys are part of the Costa Rican Biodiversity and i think that we are very lucky to see them free on the trees near the Hotel instead to been in a Zoo inside of a cage.
Normally the tourists come to Costa Rica to see animals and nature....
- The third point it's about the mattress of your room.
I am very sorry that during your stay at the Hotel you never mentioned anything about uncomfortable mattresses in your room.
For sure we would have changed your room without problems and probably this would have helped you to enjoy more your vacation.
We checked the mattresses in room 12, honestly we didn't find saggy beds or anything strange or defective because we only use Orthopedic mattresses and pillows in the Hotel.
Anyway our goal is to have happy clients at the Hotel instead of unhappy clients.
Focused on this, I am more than happy to invite you to spend 2 NIGHTS FREE of charges at Hotel Luna LLena next time you visit Costa Rica.
Best regards
Pino Trimarchi
HOTEL LUNA LLENA

Reviewed March 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I (we're 25/26 years old) have never stayed at a b&b (and I'm not sure I would even consider this one since it has a more boutique hotel feel) and I was absolutely blown away! Great price and great location. Not directly on the beach, but there's only 1 in Tamarindo that is. Also nice that it's on a side street so you don't get all the noise from the town and you feel super safe. It's a super short walk to the beach and main street in town (less than 5 min) so you can definitely enjoy the nightlife.
Pino and his wife are so great and do a lot of work saving the monkeys and you can see a bunch of them if you catch them at the right time! (We were able to see them around 4:30-5pm when we made a pit stop at the hotel to change clothes.)
Be sure not to skip the included breakfast either, it's simple but absolutely delicious!
I would highly recommend this place and would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Loved our bungalow apartment, it was on the 2nd floor, room #15 (very bright colors, think lime gree...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jamie F
Reviewed February 13, 2012

This is a perfect hotel 3 minute walk to the beach and the shops. it is perfect because you feel super safe and everything is beautiful - but a bit out from the loud Tamarindo strip. WE loved our little bungalow and other than the huge!! ants that come out at night I wouldn't change a thing. It is nice beacuse you can walk to everything from here and not have to listen to the night life of Tamarindo but if you wanted to be a part of it it is within walking to - but you still feel like you are a part of the wilderness. When i go to Tamarindo again I would stay here for sure. We did not eat or drink other than breakfast but everything was super clean and the owners are very helpful

Room Tip: Crazy jungle Ants come out at night!! but they provide Raid for the rooms. You get your own bungalow...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank davone
Reviewed February 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Luna Llena for 2 nights in Tamarindo. It's a bit pricey but I guess it's the price you have to pay to stay in a surf town. We stayed in Bungalow 6 and it's a cute little building with 2 beds on the 2nd floor. WIFI was available in our bungalow and wasn't bad. There's also a nice pool at this hotel with a bar. The only negative thing we have to say is that there were a lot of giant ants in our bungalow, we killed nearly 50 ants over the 2 nights we stayed. Overall it's a good choice given it's only a 5 minute walk to the beach.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple