“Great Staff”
Review of Hotel Luna Llena

Hotel Luna Llena
Ranked #10 of 45 Tamarindo B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The staff members were all incredibly nice, welcoming, and helpful. The breakfast was delicious and the rooms were well cleaned.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Katie O

Reviewed December 13, 2011

I am writing this poolside at the lovely Luna Llena in Tamarindo. My husband and I enjoyed our stay here four years ago so much that we have returned for a two week visit. The owners have poured their friendly Italian sense of hospitality and beautiful colors into this intimate complex of bungalows, pool, and covered patios. We are enjoying the option of preparing our own food in the simple kitchen area of our colorful, AC'd bungalow or ordering the excellent pasta (some of the best vegetable/bechamel lasagne I've had!) or various pizzas homemade and served by the owners. Or, of course, there are many restaurants to walk to in the area. The location is great - away from the noise of the main drags (such as they are in Tamarindo) and around the corner from the very good CSI school where we are are taking Spanish lessons each morning. The owners have been extremely helpful and friendly, as has been their entire staff. We feel very welcome and comfortable with their informal but accommodating service. Also, we are enjoying their cats and dogs who are happy to hang out with the guests in the common areas. We wholeheartedly recommend this small hotel/B&B for its value and relaxing, refreshing ambiance! Great for families, couples, singles.

Room Tip: If you plan to cook, I suggest you pack a small assortment of spices and perhaps a small sharp knife...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank QueensRiverMimi25
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I found Hotel Luna Llena (hotel full moon) when attending the Coastal Spanish Institute to study Spanish for a week in Tamarindo. (The school would be a different review.) I was originally going to do home stay with a family but I realised the first night that I NEED AIR CONDITIONING. So I looked at tripadvisor for a hotel close to the school and they mentioned Lluna Lena. It is the closest hotel to the school (about a one minute walk) The school "facilities" weren't that good, so it was nice to be able to pop back to the hotel at times.

So anyway, the hotel was AWESOME for me. Marilena (sorry if that's misspelled) at the front desk showed me a couple of rooms. I selected one, and she gave me a great rate for the week. The room was super comfortable with a seperate largish bathroom (shower, sink, toilet, bidet) which I like because the humidity from the shower stays in the bathroom, not in the main room.

The walls are all concrete so it was wonderfully quiet in my room. The hotel does have a nice pool area and the breakfasts (included) were great for me. You have a choice of Tico (rice, beans, juice) or Continental (toast, jam, juice), but I talked to the cooks (Severa and Yadira) and they made me some eggs with the continental breakfast each day. An excellent way to start the day of spanish classes. Severa did my laundry for me one day for $10. I just gave it to her in the morning, and when I got back from class in the afternoon, it was in my room all done and beautiful.

Now, Piino, the owner, is from Italy and invited me down to the restaurant one evening for home made Pizzas. That was nice - but there are two things that set Pino (and his family) apart from any other hotel owner I've ever met.

First, Pino and his family have started a movement to save monkeys (Salve Monos). As more and more trees get cut down here, the monkeys don't have a way to cross busy roads - so sometimes they try to use the power lines, with predictably horrific results. Salve Monos make rope "bridges" across the roads for the monkeys. It's really making a difference.

Second, I ended up having a problem with my transfer from Tamarindo to my next location (Samara) on Saturday morning. So Pino drove me here in his car (two and a half hours - each way) for the same price as what I was going to pay. We had a great conversation and I really really appreciated it.

Hotel Luna Llena was definately the best part of my week in Tamarindo.

Room Tip: I loved room number 9 - I would give the room an "excellent" rating also if it had interne...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank James A
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Together with my wife we spent 10 days in Tamarindo, Costarica at Luna Llena. It's a great location with cozy and quiet bungalows, and a very nice swimming pool. Far from the noisy places but just 10' walking from the beach. All around the wildlife is amazing: flowers and luxuriant plants everywhere. In the morning you can listen to the howler monkeys. The staff is very friendly and helpful: the owners help me a lot for the rental car. Overall, a great time in Costarica and at Luna Llena: reccomanded!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sator72
Reviewed August 15, 2011

In July we visited Tamarindo with 2 families, including 5 kids. The 2 floor bungalows were excellent for families with children, the swimming pool is very nice and some nice places to sit, sun, relax or drink something complete the hotel. The owner is very helpful and gave us some valuable tips to explore the surroundings. Going to Tamarindo we strongly recommend to visit this friendly small scale hotel Luna Llena.

Room Tip: all rooms have a good location
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Richard L
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We were with two families, coming from the Netherlands, for 4 nights in Luna Llena at the end of our 3 weeks journey in Costa Rica in the month July 2011. Both families had a nice house in the hotel; nice swimming pool good and nice breakfast; the staff was very helpfull and were allways willing to help giving good and interesting information over the surrounding

Room Tip: all the (approximately) 8 rooms (little houses) are situated around the swimming pool
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank l_spoormakers
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I just got back from a three week stay at Hotel Luna LLena. Since I am a 49 year old "student," I opted to stay in a hotel while I attended classes at Coastal Spanish Institute instead of staying in the school's apartments or with a local family. I am so happy with my choice. The hotel is right down the street from the school, the grounds are idyllic and (usually) tranquil, and the staff is very hardworking. I said usually because one weekend I was there, a group of 20somethings came and partied all night long. Also, if you understand that you are in Costa Rica and not in the U.S., you will be more apt to forgive certain things. For instance, the wildlife will wake you up on occasion. Howler monkeys are frequent visitors - one morning they were literally yards away from my happy camera, dining on the trees the hotel owners plant to attract them. The beautiful red and grey squirrels will run across your red tile roof and make quite a racket. You may wake up to find land crabs at your door or an iguana may flee one of the cats just inches from you. If you're like me, you'll find all of these things exotic and just grab your camera. I found the hotel to be extremely clean. The staff even swept and mopped the cobblestone paths outside daily. I stayed in the Casita, which is a hotel room with a kitchen. It is larger than a regular room, but smaller than the bungalows. It was the perfect size for me, traveling alone. I am deathly afraid of cockroaches, but I can happily report that I never saw a single one while I was in Tamarindo. Spiders, however, are quite common. If you feel about spiders the way I feel about roaches, do what I did - pack a flyswatter! One other thing I should probably mention is that one night there was a torrential storm, and my roof leaked in several places. Thankfully, none of the leaks were above my bed, so it worked out fine. Several other people staying at the hotel said that they had leaks, too. Again, this was only an issue when there was a very, very heavy amount of rain. One last thing, if you're an Internet junkie like me, you'll often be frustrated with the wireless signal. Again, realize that you're practically in the jungle, and that the Internet for the entire country comes from San José. It's not going to be like at home, and unless you're staying,in hotel room 10 (which is where the Internet router is located), you probably won't have a signal in your room/bungalow. About the hot water- first of all, almost no one in Tamarindo has this luxury. The weather is so hot all year round that a cool shower feels awesome. But Hotel Luna Llena does have hot watee. You just neee to wait a few minutes for it to get hot. Also, several other guests reported that the water pressure was horrible in the morning. I never had a problem with water pressure because I always showered at night. Overall, my experience in Tamarindo was amazing and I am very pleased with this hotel. If you're going to be studying at Coastal Spanish Institute or Wayra Spanish School (right across the street from CSI), Hotel Luna Llena is a great choice. Just remember that you're not in the U.S. and that this isn't the Hilton, and you'll be very happy here.

• Stayed: July 2011