“A very nice hotel with excellent staff”
Review of Hotel Luna Llena

Hotel Luna Llena
Ranked #10 of 48 Tamarindo B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We were with two families, coming from the Netherlands, for 4 nights in Luna Llena at the end of our 3 weeks journey in Costa Rica in the month July 2011. Both families had a nice house in the hotel; nice swimming pool good and nice breakfast; the staff was very helpfull and were allways willing to help giving good and interesting information over the surrounding

Room Tip: all the (approximately) 8 rooms (little houses) are situated around the swimming pool
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank l_spoormakers

Reviewed July 28, 2011

I just got back from a three week stay at Hotel Luna LLena. Since I am a 49 year old "student," I opted to stay in a hotel while I attended classes at Coastal Spanish Institute instead of staying in the school's apartments or with a local family. I am so happy with my choice. The hotel is right down the street from the school, the grounds are idyllic and (usually) tranquil, and the staff is very hardworking. I said usually because one weekend I was there, a group of 20somethings came and partied all night long. Also, if you understand that you are in Costa Rica and not in the U.S., you will be more apt to forgive certain things. For instance, the wildlife will wake you up on occasion. Howler monkeys are frequent visitors - one morning they were literally yards away from my happy camera, dining on the trees the hotel owners plant to attract them. The beautiful red and grey squirrels will run across your red tile roof and make quite a racket. You may wake up to find land crabs at your door or an iguana may flee one of the cats just inches from you. If you're like me, you'll find all of these things exotic and just grab your camera. I found the hotel to be extremely clean. The staff even swept and mopped the cobblestone paths outside daily. I stayed in the Casita, which is a hotel room with a kitchen. It is larger than a regular room, but smaller than the bungalows. It was the perfect size for me, traveling alone. I am deathly afraid of cockroaches, but I can happily report that I never saw a single one while I was in Tamarindo. Spiders, however, are quite common. If you feel about spiders the way I feel about roaches, do what I did - pack a flyswatter! One other thing I should probably mention is that one night there was a torrential storm, and my roof leaked in several places. Thankfully, none of the leaks were above my bed, so it worked out fine. Several other people staying at the hotel said that they had leaks, too. Again, this was only an issue when there was a very, very heavy amount of rain. One last thing, if you're an Internet junkie like me, you'll often be frustrated with the wireless signal. Again, realize that you're practically in the jungle, and that the Internet for the entire country comes from San José. It's not going to be like at home, and unless you're staying,in hotel room 10 (which is where the Internet router is located), you probably won't have a signal in your room/bungalow. About the hot water- first of all, almost no one in Tamarindo has this luxury. The weather is so hot all year round that a cool shower feels awesome. But Hotel Luna Llena does have hot watee. You just neee to wait a few minutes for it to get hot. Also, several other guests reported that the water pressure was horrible in the morning. I never had a problem with water pressure because I always showered at night. Overall, my experience in Tamarindo was amazing and I am very pleased with this hotel. If you're going to be studying at Coastal Spanish Institute or Wayra Spanish School (right across the street from CSI), Hotel Luna Llena is a great choice. Just remember that you're not in the U.S. and that this isn't the Hilton, and you'll be very happy here.

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank cajungirl1962
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Luna Llena is a few blocks away from the beach and from the center of Tamarindo.

The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the staff was ever friendly. The Italian Restaurant on the premises was fabulous. There's also a sushi bar, but that will have to wait until the next time.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Scribblegal
Reviewed March 21, 2011

As soon as you step onto the property from the dirt road that precedes it, you feel as though you've entered into a private oasis. The yellow cabanas with terracotta roofs surround the crystal blue (and very clean) swimming pool water, and the birds are chirping away...
If you are looking for modern 5star amenities, this may not be for you - but if you are looking to get away from it all in rustic accommodations, with excellent staff then I would highly recommend. The cabanas are small but very quaint and my son loved his own treefort like room upstairs. The breakfast that is included is perfect - fresh fruit, granola, yogurt and toast.
It is a 2 block walk to the beach, and I'm glad we stayed over any other place there.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We stayed here for 4 days. We had a bungalow that is very much like the pictures shown on this site. It was lovely. We did not notice more than a few ants, not anything out of the ordinary for a tropical area. The staff were great, the breakfast delicious. The two restaurants on site were wonderful. The italian restaurant was amazing as well as the Sushi bar. The only drawback was the water pressure in the bungalow. The bathrooms in the rooms seemed nicer, but the bungalow was very cost effective for our group of 4. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I stayed at Hotel luna Llena in Tamarindo beach for a few days and it was the perfect spot. I was happy to stay walking distance from the centre and the beach. Lovely, large room with a very big bathroom. Staff is so kind and will help you with anything you need. The place was very colorful too. Nice pool and great Sushi bar for dinner. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I stayed at Luna Llena with a group of friends and would like to thank the staff there for making our stay so comfortable. The room was spacious, clean and I loved the decoration. Simona, the owner, decorated the rooms and bathrooms herself and she is very arty! I liked the fact that the hotel is located in a quiet spot but still walking distance to the beach and centre. We did not have a car so this was great. Furthermore, Simona runs a "save the monkeys" project which is just great. Please buy her "safe the monkeys" merchandise in support of her project! I encourage anybody to stay at Luna Llena because it is just lovely!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends