“Hidden Paradise & Top Notch Resort for a Quiet, Romantic Getaway”

Hotel Capitan Suizo
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
“Hidden Paradise & Top Notch Resort for a Quiet, Romantic Getaway”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 11 nights for our honeymoon in July. What a beautiful place! Truly amazing!! This resort was recommended to me by my friend who stayed here the summer before with her husband and her two adult ( early 20's) children. My husband and I are in our young 30's.

We can't wait to go back to Costa Rica and stay at Hotel Capitan Suizo again. The resort itself is literally tucked away in the jungle of Tamarindo, but also located directly on one of the most beautiful beaches you've ever seen. In fact, it is one of the ONLY true beachfront properties on the area. Best of all, my husband and I booked one of the only 2 private BeachFront Bungalows. So we had the beach to look at all day and night. You could hear the waves crashing in the morning and night and also the calls of the howler monkeys. ( very cool )

I have stayed at many 5 star All Inclusive Resorts and Hotel Capitan Suizo's location, service, and staff far surpass any of the other places I've traveled to that have cost 3 times the $$. The resort itself is very private, in fact there are less than 30 rooms! Which means no crowds/lines for dinner reservations or drinks.

Mostly Swiss, German & European travelers seemed to be here when we stayed. The owners are actually Swiss and the head chef is German. Hotel staff are Ticos though. : ) Beautiful people and always aiming to please. Quite possibly one of the friendliest places I've traveled to.

Another great feature of this resort is that in keeping with the Costa Rican eco-culture/tourism.... the hotel actually is home to several different species of animals who have been injured and orphaned and need to rehabilitate. So you'll find baby howler monkeys, baby raccoons often following around the hotel staff and guests sometimes. Don't be alarmed, they are a standard feature and attraction here and the resort works in conjunction with a local vet to make sure these animals heal properly and in a very "free" way. Upon our arrival we were greeted by many of these animals and allowed to pet and play with them almost anytime we were around. A very cool way to experience the local wildlife.

Tamarindo is a quiet surfing village and you can either walk the beach to town ( 10 Mins) or the dirt road ( their version of streets..lol ) 5 mins. Many great restaurants in town, that far exceed the resorts. Unfortunately, was not a big fan of the resort restaurant. Its not traditional Tico fare. Its not that the food was bad, it just wasn't Costa Rican and they were pretty heavy on salt and thick rich sauces. No matter what you order it all sort of tasted the same. After 3 days of meals at the resort, we took the advice of a really nice Costa Rican couple who were vacationing here ( another sign its good if locals are staying there) and ventured into town to check out some other places. Seasons, Dragonfly and a Buoela. Just a few of the places we tried. Incredible food some of the best I've ever had in the world ( ranks up there with Italy) . Best of all, the dinners we had in CR were about half the price of what we would have paid in the U.S. and we had more courses and alcohol!

Totally would recommend this to anyone looking for a quiet, rich relaxing escape. Lots of activities you can book through the excursions concierge Rosa. Always willing to go the extra mile. Plus there is a fabulous spa attached to the resort. Its small, but beautiful and the services are great.

I would not recommend this place if you have kids or are looking for some big exciting ALl INclusive deal. You want to get away from it all and feel like you've been whisked away to your own private oasis, then this is your best place and should be your only choice. : ) Fly into Liberia and its a 40 minute cab ride.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 29, 2009

My wife and I spent a fantastic 5 days at Hotel Capitan Suizo. After fulfilling our need for adventure in Monteverde we hired a driver (recommended) to take us to Tamarindo for some much needed R&R. Hotel Capitan Suizo was the perfect place to unwind. It is within walking distance (on the beach at low tide with a flashlight) to the shops and restaurants, but away from the hustle and bustle. The staff was very friendly, the grounds were immaculate, and the natural wildlife made you feel like you were in paradise - friendly iguanas, lazy cats, baby monkeys and rocky the squirrel/mascot.

I would highly recommend this hotel. My wife and I sprung for one of the bungalows and it was well worth the extra money. The breakfast that is included with the per night fee is fantastic. The lunch menu was nice and eating by the pool was very relaxing. The only dinner we had at the hotel was the beach barbecue and I would recommend that you take part. The restaurants in town are a nice alternative.

Definite 5 star rating from us!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Maplewood, NJ
Reviewed August 21, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the Capitan Suizo for two nights and I find it hard to imagine how anyone could not enjoy staying there. The hotel is beautifully landscaped, with a very nice pool (frequently visited by a troop of howler monkeys), and is situated directly on a beautiful and safe beach. Our bungalow was clean and lovely.
I should clarify, however, that we stayed in a deluxe bungalow (all that was available at the time) which did have air conditioning. But when you make a reservation, it clearly states whether or not the room or bungalow you choose has air conditioning.
Everyone we encountered there was friendly and helpful. All of the activities were reasonably priced, especially compared to the Marriott where we stayed next - more about that in a bit. The woman at the activities desk help us hook up with someone else to share a deep sea fishing excursion, and the chef happily prepared the tuna we caught for our dinner that night. We also got hot stone massages (using discount coupons for the spa which we were given when we checked in )-- It was the best massage I have ever had.
Because our room was at the limits of our budget, we booked the next two nights at the nearby JW Marriott, where we were able to get an amazing special rate on an ocean front room. However, as mentioned above, everything else (excursions and food) at the Marriott was a lot more expensive. We thought both hotels were great - while the Capitan Suizo is more our personal style - small, with more of a sense that you are in Costa Rica. The Marriott might be better for those who enjoy big luxury hotels, with every conceivable amenity and an exceptionally attentive staff.

2 Thank joano11
chicago,il
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I am writing a year after my stay at Hotel Capitan Suizo. I have wanted to write a review for a while and I am just now getting to it. My husband and I flew in San Jose and it was 5 hour long drive. Very scary driving at night. People, kids, dogs walk on the side of the road at night and it's hard to see. Crazy DRIVERS! Lots to look at on the way. But we stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. We had our own bungalow and that was awesome!! Food and drinks were just okay. breakfast was included and that was the same every morning. GREAT wildlife! the only thing i would say that i didnt like was the bed bugs! i was expecting bugs but i dont think our sheets were washed. I pulled them back the sheets back and they were not the cleanest. It was a very nice quiet place to stay. Highly recommend getting a massage on the beach. DO lock up your personal belongings!! We went in September during "wet season" and it didnt rain on us once.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bearklaus
London
Reviewed August 20, 2009

My wife and I stayed here as part of a Kuoni tour.

We reached this hotel after nearly 10 days of constant travelling across Costa Rica. This was to be our chill out zone after the tiring tour. We were not disappointed.

The hotel sits on the each of the popular Tamarindo resort. About a 10 min walk down the beach. The hotel is surrounded by trees that encourages the wildlife into the hotel. We saw Howler Monkeys (One even sat on my shoulders) squirrels, racoons, snakes, iguanas and a wide variety of birds all from either the pool or restaurant. The beach is a truly picturesque pacific beach with gentle sloping shores, sunbeds and hammocks, being right at the end of Tamarindo if you turn left onto the beach from the hotel it is just trees and rocks lovely. Although the shoreline gently slopes away making it safe to bathe the waves are big enough for surfing or just palying in.

The pool is really nice and big enough to accomodate a fair few guest comfotably with good quality sunbeds. You are literally surrounded by wildlife. For example my wife fed a iguana a bit of banana by had, the Howler Monkey sat on my shoulders (There is a whole troop living in the trees), a racoon took a piece of banana from my hand (I never knew they were such gentl animals) and the squirrels jumped around the trees.

The room was large comfortable clean and air conditioned and ceiling fans if you didnt like aircon. The shower room was clean although the shower curtain a bit flimsy so it flapped around a lot.

The staff were all friendly and helpful. We had an issue one night with my wife's dinner that meant we had to ask for the food to be removed. The waiter was very very apologetic and immediately waived the bill for all the food and drinks that night. We were happy with the way the waiter dealt with the issue and yet the Manager and then the owner still came to see us the next day to apologise. I won't mention the details of what happened and I have only written this to demonstrate how good the staff were in the hotel and they dealt with our issue extremely professionally.

By and large the quality of the food in the restauant was the best we had during our trip in Costa Rica, so much so that we ate in the hotel every night eventhough it was on the pricey side.

This is a good hotel and counts as one of the most enjoyable stays I have had in a hotel.

1 Thank MikeT81
London
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in June. The location of the hotel is excellent - right on the beach at the quiet end of Tamarindo. The hotel staff were very good and the pool was excellent.

The only thing I would criticise is that we stayed in the honeymoon suite and I would say it was quite an odd style!! It had a massive wooden bed in the middle on a kind of mezzanine floor - seeing is believeing.

We just wanted a nice place by the sea and this hotel was perfect.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsDVT
Henderson, NV
Reviewed August 11, 2009

My finance and I researched places in Costa Rica that we would like to get married at and stay during our honeymoon. Capitan Suizo had great reviews! It lived up to these reviews and more! It is the most wonderful place ever! The breakfast of fresh fruit, cheese, and just out of the oven pasties is to die for! The atmosphere is calming and green! The hotel staff is wonderful.... I have to mention Rolando! He is the one who helped plan our wedding, he is so wonderful and caring. He truly cared about us and making our day the most special. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who appreciates a welcoming atmosphere!