“Best steak I ever had!”

Hotel Capitan Suizo Beach Front Hotel Boutique
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 21, 2008

Stayed at the Capitan Suizo and thoroughly enjoyed the experience...particularly the restaurant, ordered a steak one evening and the chef stopped by to ask how I was enjoying the meal.
I proceeded to tell him that I was a steak eater and this one was the best I ever had! I asked if the beef was Argentinian, and he said it was from their own stock of grass fed beef raised on their land across the road. Great meals, service, and staff! A must if in Tamarindo!

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled solo

Reviewed November 13, 2008

My husband and I just returned from 11 days in Costa Rica. We spent 5 nights at Captain Suizo and overall it was a nice experience. The staff was probably one of the nicest we have ever encountered. The front desk was very helpful and spoke excellent English, which was great because our Spanish is very poor. Diego, one of the managers , was especially friendly and helpful.The restaurant staff were also wonderful and again all spoke English very well. We spent 3 nights in an upstairs unit and then 2 nights in a bungalow when one became available. Lack of air conditioning was not a problem as there are two ceiling fans in each room. Be aware that there are no TV's in any rooms. It seemed strange at first,but we got used to it. You also have to get used to all the animals around the place. We had raccoons visit us every night. I agree with another poster that the bathrooms are outdated and could use some remodeling. but we did enjoy the outside shower in the bungalow.The chairs overlooking the ocean are very comfy and great for napping, as are the hammocks.

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed October 28, 2008

My husband and I spent eight days of our honeymoon. The hotel facility, grounds and staff were exceedingly lovely. When we checked in we were given a coupon redeemable for two free drinks at the hotel bar. Our bungalow, Bungalow One, was not yet ready and so we headed down to the bar. The bar and restuarant were beautiful. At the bar we met Gerald the bar tender. He was friendly and willing to give advice on where to go for lunch and dinner.

Our Bungalow was lovely. Two walls of the bungalows were made of sliding glass doors and allowed a lot of light into the room. There was a comfortable bed and a nice couch to sit on. The room also had a small refridgerator which was great to have to keep bottles of water cold. The bathroom didn't have a shower curtain around the tub/shower. But there was an outdoor shower that worked well. On the porch there were nice lounge chairs and a table with chairs. Our bungalow also included a cat, Lassie. Lassie is a hotel cat who likes to sleep in the lounge chairs. If you stay here...please bring a few books (or visit the "library" next to the Concierge Desk) because there are not TVs.

The hotel grounds were lush and beautiful. There were Howler Monkeys that visited the hotel every night. There were also racoons and funny squirrels that lived on the grounds as well. Also, the hotel was rehabilitating two baby Howler Monkeys, Sophie and Alice. We were able to pet them and watch them play.

The restuarant was wonderful. Breakfast is included with in the cost the hotel room. There was a wide variety of breads and fruits. The breakfast also had rice and beans, eggs and fried plantains. We had dinner and lunch at the hotel the first few nights and it was delicious. The food was so great and filling we couldn't even eat dessert.

The Concierge staff was amazing. They arranged a surf trip for my husband through Witches Rock Surf Camp within a matter of mintues. The also arranged for us to have massages on the beach.

You know a hotel and restuarant are great when its employees come to spend their day off at the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TMasin
Reviewed October 5, 2008

We stayed in this hotel on our honeymoon and absolutely loved it. We were given a bungalow right beside the beach and it was really beautiful. Everything has been thought of, there is a selection of pillows and even real milk in the fridge for coffee. The food in the restuarant is fantastic and much cheaper than in town. The beach is great, very flat and really really warm. It is only a 15 min walk along the beach to get into town. I would also recommend flying into libertador instead of san jose as our flight from san jose was in a very very small plane (8 seats). I also loved all the animals in the hotel we saw iguanas, howler monkeys, squirels and racoons. I would really recommend this hotel it is one of the best I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2008

I spent some time researching hotels in Costa Rica and this one stood out to me for some reason -- I am glad it did.

Want some demographics? I am 33 year old software architect married to a 32 year old graphic designer. We love the outdoors, but realistically spend most of our time in modern situations -- we travel a fair amount. I am a little more into that outdoor experience than she is, but she is pretty willing.

I honestly didn't know what exactly to expect. Marketing photos are meant to look good ... it looked pretty good, but I also wanted a little more from my experience as far as exploring Costa Rica and the culture.

Let me try to break down the hotel experience because that is mostly what this review is supposed to be about.

Room:
When I booked the hotel they didn't have an A/C room for the first night we were there. They only had 1 night in a non-A/C room and 6 days in an A/C room. I saw some of the bungalows so I can kind of give you my opinion of those.

The non-A/C room:
It was actually really nice. Everything is well taken care of and ... really good. The ceilings are vaulted to let air come in from the top and the space feels great. The whole space is a nice low key Caribbean feel, but well done. The balcony was really cool and alows you to look out into the garden, pool and maybe even a small bit of the beach. The air temperature wasn't much of a problem and I think people who know what they are getting into will be just fine.

The A/C room: Oh, A/C is great. I know I said the non-A/C is fine, but still it was just nice to come inside sometimes and feel cooled down. Sleeping was a plus. A negative is that the rooms are on the first floor and don't have the vault to allow the breeze in, so it feels a little smaller... I got over that, but I did like the space of the other room more. I have no regrets ...

Hotel: The staff is nice... if you have ever been to some Caribbean destinations you sometimes get a feeling that the people just don't like you. I didn't get that here. It helps to know a little Spanish and they appreciate it ... some people are very fluent and others are getting by, but it was never a problem. The hotel grounds while not huge (there are only about 60 rooms) are well done and very garden-like. Wild life can abound. We saw many monkeys, some iguanas, racoons, etc. There are "pet" cats and dogs too ... so get used to it. They are all nice and respectful -- some are actually pets of owners/managers and others I think are just there, but we love animals. They are around though, so understand that. Overall the establishment is very well taken care of.

Hotel Pool: Really good. Granted I don't know how many people were staying there when we did, but for our stay it was quite and really really nice. It is well taken care of and blends in well with the garden surroundings. It was a highlight.

Hotel Bar: Good service. The drinks are fairly well done, but don't expect a liberal amount of alcohol ... might take a few. The night life was less than tame ... very quite - maybe because we were there in the low season, but I still got the feel that it is usually not very hectic.

Hotel Beach: If you have been to Caribbean destinations before then you might almost just expect crystal clear water. I would say that this beach is a little bit of a mix of that. There are some fair waves and huge waves around the point that mix up the sand into the water so it isn't a snorkeling environment, but still nice. The amount of beach in width and length is good. Boogie boarding and surfing is available. Shell finding is good. To the right of the beach there begins a good amount of lava rocks which are fun to explore too, but you want to go just about 100 feet down from the hotel to not worry about them. Still, it is a good beach - if you think South Carolina Beach mixed with Caribbean then that is what it is. There are some beaches you can visit close by that are more towards the complete Caribbean style of sand and water. The atmosphere is great though because you can see great hills in the distance and boats in the cove.

When and Weather: Second week of September 2008. We lucked out I think. We went during the rainy season. The week before we went it was raining 24/7 and there was a lot of flooding. When we were there it only raining for a half day out of 7 days... I think we lucked out. The temp was sometimes very warm and other times a little cool with the wind. Actually ... really nice. Night time cooled down enough to be nice and day time was fun to be in the water when you got really hot.

Tamarindo: This town is starting to blow up. It is still pretty small, but has become pretty commercial. There is about a main strip and a half as I write this of paved roads with shopping, restaurants and hotels. There are still unpaved roads that can get pretty bumpy, but still have some pretty nice hotels on them (where this hotel is). I can't imagine that it will be the same when you go - it will continue to become more tourist friendly which isn't really a good thing. Shopping is kind of generic ... souvenirs, some local stuff ... ok. While the restaurants are not bad and you can find soe good food, I encourage you to look for the small places with locals. I had great food at the small places and kinda mediocre food at the others. This is only about a 10 minute or less walk on the beach from the hotel. Take the beach and not the road for now.

Tours: The number of tours is good. Some of the attractions I wanted to see like big volcanoes were too far from the hotel, but we had a lot of fun doing some of the tours such as zip lining, canyoning, atv tour, white water tubing ... very fun and will expose you to some of the interior of Costa Rica - worthwhile. The hotel concierge will help you st them up and was very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank devmode
Reviewed September 8, 2008

This is probably one of the nicest hotels in the area, although I would not say that it is great. The landscaping is great, although the property is small. It is the only hotel that is directly on the beach, although they have a plexi-glass wall that separates the property from the top of the beach. It is a bit out of place, and can only make you wonder why they put it up? The hotel was created by a Swiss couple which is reflected in the menu at the hotel's restaurant. Nearly all of their dishes had a Swiss/German twist to them, which although not bad, seemed a bit out of place for a beach front resort surrounded by palm trees and lizards. We stayed in one of the bungalows, which was quite nice. The layout and size was great. The bathroom and amenities seemed out of date, a bit '80s. Also, if you stay on the right side of the property beware that the house next door has a fews dogs that bark-alot!

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank javelin0524
Reviewed August 24, 2008

By far the best place to stay in Tamarindo. The grounds are the most untouched nature in the area and many local folks think it's the prettiest too. We stayed 4 nights and loved every minute of it. the pool area, the beach and the walk to the town were perfect. the most amazing sunsets. we hope to go back there soon. We had one of the rooms without A/C and were perfectly comfortable with fans on. The staff was very friendly. Word of advice, bring your own alarm clock. the rooms have no clocks at all and the hotel had only 2 to offer to the guests.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple