Capitan Suizo Beachfront Boutique Hotel
  • Free Internet
Hotel Nahua(Tamarindo)
Hotel Arco Iris(Tamarindo)
1,368 results
All reviewscapitan suizohowler monkeyscosta ricain townsuperior roomboogie boardsoutdoor showertamarindo beachwalk along the beachour honeymoonbeautiful birdssitting areabeautiful beachair conditioningrestaurant stafflounge chairshigh tide
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Costa Rica is an amazing country with a lot of vegetation and wildlife. Hotel capital suizo is the definition of Costa Rica. If you don't like animals around you, including bugs, this hotel may not be for you. I loved how they treated then animals as one and did not ever run them off.

Transportation to the hotel was arranged by hotel. It was $85 for the two of us. The driver was prompt and professional. The road is small, bumpy and windy. I did get car sick. It will take about one hour.

The hotel: wonderful, courteous staff. The Free wifi in the lobby works good. The garden is amazing. We snacked on passion fruit picked straight from the tree on the property. We were visited each night by raccoons and each morning by birds. A few times we also enjoyed the monkeys on the property. Domesticated cats are always visible.

The room: we stayed in room 35 without AC. During the day it was kind of warm, but you shouldn't plan to stay the day in the room. At night, it was perfect. The room is spacious with enough closet space for two. There's a mini fridge, coffee pot and hair dryer. The restroom is big. The cleaning staff does and excellent job. Be aware that if you leave snacks on the counter, they will for sure be attacked by ants. Since the windows are always open, you will be awaken by the birds signing, monkeys howling, etc.

The pool/beach: the beach is your backyard. Accessible, clean. Not a beautiful beach compared to some we have seen, but still very nice. The water is dark, but the sand is also dark. The sand is the softest I have felt. The pool is never full, clean, and enough lounging chairs for everyone.

The restaurant: it has a good selection for dinner. We made the mistake of ordering too much the first day. All plates are big. First day we paid $70 for both of us, but we had ordered four plates, water and two juices. We decided to eat all of our dinners in the hotel for the convenience and because we heard that the restaurants outside the hotel weren't remarkable. We did have lunch outside the hotel at restaurants our tour guide took us to. The food was very good and authentic.

The excursions: ATV tour: if you're adventurous, I would recommend this. Know you will get very dirty and have to go through rough terrain. Zip lining: FUN, not to be missed. Hot springs in Arenal: nice on a rainy day. Arenal volcano: beautiful, but most of the time it was behind a cloud. We ended up getting a good view of it at 6pm, but only for a few minutes. The best tour we took was the one to the Tenorio Volcano. We hiked to a beautiful blue waterfall and lagoon. Then we hiked more to natural thermal pools on the blue river. This is the experience of a lifetime. You can't be out of shape for this one. Warren was our personal tour guide. He was excellent. Ask the hotel for him.

Tips:
1. Mosquitoes are everywhere!!! Bring your bug spray. We went through two cans in four days for two persons.
2. Dollars are accepted everywhere. No need to exchange.
3. Bring clothing you don't mind getting dirty
4. Bring good hiking shoes

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank GlobetrotterBella
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We loved going to Kona Village in Hawaii until it was closed after being hit by the tsunami a few years ago. Our wonderful travel agent (Sharon Delano of Frosch Travel) found Capitan Suizo for us as a Costa Rican alternative. We loved the place! It's very small, only about 25-30 rooms, spread out over delightful grounds and right on the beach which we loved. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful and will stop whatever they're doing to chat or help in any way. The collection of wildlife at the resort is wonderful - families of howler monkeys, almost tame racoons who wander around the restaurant, and delightful cats and kittens that my kids fell in love with. We had 2 adjacent rooms which had A/C. I definitely recommend getting rooms with A/C based on the heat and humidity, though some people we met there said they were fine with just the fans.

They have free boogie boards, ping-pong, an outdoor pool table, bocce, etc. We also rented kayaks ($15 per hour for a double) and went out to the little island just off the shore.

Rosa at the activities center was very helpful. After a couple of very long and bumpy car rides, we didn't want to go far and she organized zip line and mangrove tours that were both quite close by. We also took surfing lessons that she organized. It's worth asking for a discount if you are more than one person - we got a $5 per person discount for some of the tours.

The restaurant is quite good - nothing spectacular but very reliable and reasonably priced. They were good about accommodating our daughter's gluten-free requirement and were careful check with the chef on anything we had concerns over.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Peter O
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We are a couple in our 50s and stayed in one of the private bungalows with air conditioning. It was spacious, beautiful, private and very comfortable. There was LOTS of storage space which was great. The bathroom is huge and there is an outdoor shower! Perfect for coming in from the beach with sandy feet.

My one, small negative remark about the bungalow is that it was dark. Put some brighter lights in! There are two bright (but quite small) reading lights on each side of the bed which was helpful but not enough. There are other lights but all are dim. Not that you go there to spend time inside, but while inside I'd have been more comfortable with more light.

The staff was wonderful, the pool area gorgeous, the pool temperature perfect. The setting on the beach is like a postcard of the tropics. We watched the sun go down one night, over the ocean. The wildlife is fun - we saw monkeys in the trees, several large lizards and interesting birds.

We were there in June which is "green" (meaning wet) season. It did not rain but was incredibly humid. Insect repellent is an absolute must! My husband didn't use it the first night and was eaten alive. He got a lot of big bites which hurt for a couple of days. I used it religiously and still got a few bites but they didn't really bother me. The book in the room warns you about the need for the bug spray.

The restaurant and bar are open air, very tropical and casual. They will serve food and drinks to you at the pool if you ask which we did, one day, and it was just lovely. The meals in the restaurant are great. The breakfast buffet, which is included, is okay although not as tasty as the other meals. Bread, cheeses, cereal, yogurt, scrambled eggs, sausages, pancakes - a good selection and all you can eat. There is some exercise equipment outdoors. We didn't use it but saw it being used; Nautilus-type stuff. I admire the people working out in that humidity!

You can walk to the small beach town of Tamarindo in about 15 minutes and one day we did this. It was a very hot and humid walk on a dusty road but still nice to be able to walk. It's a typical beach town with many souvenir shops and restaurants. I think everyone we talked to spoke some English, which was helpful, although I was trying hard to practice my limited Spanish!

We had a very good time at Capitan Suizo and definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Make sure you have air conditioning! I think not every room has it and it is essential.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This place was the tops! Could not have asked for a better place! The views, the food, the service, the rooms, the beach, the drinks, the pool. Everything! 3 minutes from town! This place was excellent! So much wildlife in and around the property. It was awesome. The trees, foilage, plants and all nature was so beautiful. Would love to return one day!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 22 and it was such a pretty view. From our porch you could see all the way to the pool and out into the ocean!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I will admit I had high expectations based on the reviews and I left wanted something more. First thing is we did go during “wet season” and it didn’t rain when we were there but was so HUMID and HOT. In addition we were SHOCKED at how many bugs were there. With bug spray my husband had 10 bites within the first hour of arriving and we were in our room. There is no wifi in the rooms and we also did not have AC in our room no biggie just a note. This would probably have not be an issue expect for the fact that there is no relief from the heat or bugs (as a note we were told the heat and humidity was very unusual during our stay). If they had a dining room or just general room with AC it would have been perfect!!!
Now for my input on toddler necessities - they did have a crib, high chairs and a fridge in the room. Once again with a toddler I recommend stopping by the supermarket on the way in to pick up snacks and milk. They only had a shower, no tub, and the balcony and pool made me nervous with our toddler but I just locked the door and kept an eye on him at all times. The rooms were also HUGE and my son was able to have his own space and my husband and I were able to stay up without being in his way. The staff was AMAZING. They all loved my son and housekeeping remembered when his naptime was so he was able to nap in peace  The babysitting was completely reasonable pricing but I will admit I couldn’t do it. Overprotective mom came out. They had bogie boards and beach toys free of charge to use! In addition, they always filled my sons sippy cup with milk at the bar free of charge….which really was a lifesaver!
The food was decent. We had breakfast and lunch at the hotel. And the last night we were still full from our lunch and wanted something small so they allowed us to order from the lunch menu and brought it to our room.
The wildlife was AMAZING. We saw monkeys, birds, raccoons, and my son was obsessed with the cats  The location was also nice we walked into town a couple of times and the beach was so peaceful.
I am hoping that the bugs and weather was just poor timing on our part because otherwise we had a great time.

Room Tip: Depending on the season you may want to spurlge on the ac!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family