“Perfect Location”
Review of Casa Cook

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Casa Cook
“Perfect Location”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed at Casa Cook for seven nights, and our stay was quite enjoyable. Casa Cook's location, on the south edge of town, is perfect: an easy walk to the shops and restaurants in town, but far enough away that the busier sections of the beach don't intrude. The beach itself is free of the large lava rock formations that dot most of the surrounding shoreline. The ocean is warm, and the waves gentle, and the bottom is virtually all sand.

I would rate our cabina as adequate. We were able to cook several meals in the kitchen, and a gas grill is available, although we didn't use it. The kitchen and dinette front on the ocean side, the bedroom is in the back, and there is a small seating area in between. There is a small TV, oddly placed high on the wall in the dinette area, but we weren't there for that so it didn't bother us. The bed was comfortable, although the pillows are hard and flat, in definite need of upgrading. There is a safe in the bedroom closet. The small seating area has a futon and chair, neither of which are particularly well suited to comfortable sitting. The air conditioning in our unit was not adequate for the 90 degree plus outside temperatures we experienced. I'm guessing the temperature inside the cabina never got below the low 80's.

The pool area, behind the cabina, is very nice. The pool is not large, but plenty big enough for the small capacity of the property, with enough furniture to accommodate all guests. The surrounding grounds are well kept, and the pool itself is clean and refreshing. There is a land line available in the pool area to call anywhere in Costa Rica. The management requests that users of the phone leave a dollar for each call made. While hanging out at the pool we saw howler monkeys and iguanas, as well as lots of birds.

Marie and the grounds staff were extremely helpful and responsive, arranging taxi's and transfers, assisting us with our luggage and groceries from our shopping trips, pointing out wildlife, and moving pool furniture out to the beach if we so desired. As far as I could tell, the grounds/security people were on duty 24/7, and because the property is small they were never far away. The property is gated at both the street and the beach, and gates are locked after dark. When we returned to our cabina after dark, we rarely had time to get our keys in the lock before the staff would beat us to it and unlock the gates. Maid service is provided each day, and towels are replaced every couple of days, or more frequently on request.

Sharon and I prefer small properties such as this when we travel. The few shortcomings I have noted above aren't a big deal for us, as we don't spend much time in the room, and the personal touch of the staff is of great value to us. We would be happy to stay here any time we visit Tamarindo.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Chasin_Tales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Bullard, Texas
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We love Casa Cook! This was our second trip to Costa Rica and to Casa Cook. It was like coming home. Marie and Antonio are like family to us. And of course, Buddy, the cat, was there to welcome us home also! It is a short walk to the grocery store where you can pick up your supplies for a day or two. The restaurants in Tamarindo are great, but I highly recommend just going to the fish market and having Antonio bring the grill out where you can grill your own fresh fish for dinner. Buddy, the cat, will supervise your cooking to make sure you do it right! Nothing is more relaxing than taking your book out to the hammock and read while listening to the waves roll in. Marie will help arrange some fun excursions if you like. Olman Sosa offers several fun day trips, zip lining or taking a trip down the river to see all the wildlife. I just cannot say enough about what Casa Cook and the people of Tamarindo mean to me and my family. Pura Vida!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Narberth, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We just stayed at Casa Vista del Mar which is the condominium a short distance away from the cabinas at Casa Cook. I would certainly recommend this if you are vacationing with a family. It was huge with four bedrooms and four bathrooms. We were with our two adult sons and it worked perfectly. Everyone had their own space. The views from the third floor master bedroom were magnificent. We were able to walk into town and the beach at Playa Langosta was a short walk. Every morning I walked to the corner grocery store to buy some fresh bread and provisions. If you want to go to the beach at Casa Cook, they will bring chairs onto the beach for you or let you use any of their boogie boards. Marie and Ruthann etc. are still at your service. In the middle of the week, the maids came in and cleaned. I can't recommend this highly enough. Costa Rica is a beautiful country, Tamarindo is a great little town and Casa Vista del Mar is a great condominium. It was a special vacation for our family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank calvert_13
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I'm not much for commenting, but I specifically created a trip advisor account just so I could comment. I loved, loved, loved Casa Cook! It was everything I thought it would be and even better in person. If you're looking for the Four Seasons, this is not for you. However, if you're looking for your own private little slice of island heaven, then this is. I went with a friend for her birthday trip this January and we agreed from the moment we arrived that we'd be coming back each year thereafter.

The cabina we stayed in was a quaint little bungalow right on the beach. I mean right on the beach. They're about 10 feet from the beach, through a gate. The place has the amenities you need, (hot water, fans, A/C, full bathroom, etc.,) and some you may not but are great to have (full kitchen with pots, pans, plates, glasses, etc.,). It's great to know that if we wanted to cook, we could have - but we didn't. There's a lovely pool area in case you didn't want to sit on the beach, or you could just lie in one of the hammocks - also on the beach - in case you didn't feel like sitting anywhere.

The staff is amazing. Simply amazing. So attentive, but never hovering so you knew they were there, but didn't feel like they were there. A big thank you to Ruthann, Marie, Antonio, Ignacio, Joel (sp?), the lovely women who cleaned up our rooms, and of course, Buddy the security cat who was always watching out for us. We always had fresh beach towels every day which I loved. It's a little thing that you think everyone should do, but they don't. security was on point as well. There was always someone walking around checking up on things throughout the day and night.

I found things to be relatively inexpensive (beers for $1 and cigarettes for $3 a pack - what????!) and easy to access. There's a store down the road to pick up "groceries" (see above) and anything else you may need, like bug spray - lots and lots of bug spray. Bugs are everywhere inside and out, so be prepared.

In terms of other cons, one thing would be that the mattresses could be a bit more comfortable, especially the futon mattress. I could sleep very easily, but it would've been nicer if they were a bit more comfy. Like I said, I had no problem sleeping, so not a big deal to me. The only other thing that could get frustrating is the wi-fi and phone service. I didn't really use the computer during my stay, but it was a little annoying trying to get a good connection. Same with the phone service, I tended to have to walk to the pool to get reception. However, since I really didn't need the phone or the computer, I really didn't care all that much. If I couldn't get service, that was just more reason for me to refill my drink and head back to the beach.

Back to the pros, we also enjoyed the people who stayed there. They were fun and mellow, and just plain nice. It seems that these are the type of people who come to stay. If you're looking for loud parties all night long, go somewhere else. Please. But if you're looking for chill evenings where you can be left to your own devices, then this is definitely the place for you. I understand why many of the people there regularly return.

I'll stop now. In summary, this place and the people who run it are awesome. Go here if you can. I'll most certainly be going back again. And again after that.

Room Tip: Go for the cabinas.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank dudewheresmyyacht
Ottawa, ON
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Buying expensive groceries and drink, eating at average restaurants that aren't a good value, washing dishes, wifi that continually drops and only works around the pool, uncomfortable beds and pillows, rough bedding, screens that don't keep bugs out, air conditioning that doesn't cool, small space, a puny television that can only be viewed from one location (good variety of channels though). I can't believe that people pay $200+ for this?!! It is right on the beach and safety was fine and it is nice meeting the other people staying there, but definitely not my cup of tea and if this is considered tops in tamarindo, i can't imagine what the other places are like then!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Champagnekisses1
SoniaPuraVida, Manager at Casa Cook, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hola and thank you for your review!

As of April 2016, Hotel Casa Cook was sold. We are now under new ownership and management. We would love to invite you back, and to kindly ask you to give us another chance. As you can see, we have not had any bad reviews since the change. We have walked around the property many times and have changed many things that needed attention.

The WIFI was one of the first things that we changed. We now have WIFI on the whole property and as far as the hammocks that we set up right in front of the beach. The beds are all completely brand new, as well as the new colorful and comfortable bedding. We have also changed the AC units in the rooms that desperately needed change.

If you are ever in the Tamarindo area again, please visit us when you get a chance. We would love to show you the property as well as all the changes.

Have a great day,
Sonia
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Casa cook is a small hotel on the beach. It is located on a less busy section of beach and a beautiful property. We stayed in one of two units directly on the beach which were unbelievable. I can't say enough positive things. The prop is far enough away from Tamarindo to not be too close to all the noise and parties yet walkable on the beach to everything when you do.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank boski21
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I wanted to surprise my husband with a romantic vacation for his birthday. Well, I couldn't have found a more perfect place. We stayed there in Nov. We had a condo right on the beach. It was everything I thought it would be. Very clean and it was nice to have a kitchen to heat up some of the great leftovers we brought home from the restaurants. The sunsets there are just amazing so it was really nice to be able to just walk out of door and watch them. We fell in love with the manager, Marie. She was extremely helpful with suggestions of restaurants and things to do! You also don't have to lift a finger, Antionia is always there to help! Can't wait to make our next reservation!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple