“Paradise!!!”
Review of Hotel Arco Iris

Hotel Arco Iris
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
Reviewed August 9, 2009

We were looking for a place to spend our honeymoon in. We wanted to spoil ourselves with something fancy yet not too hectic nor exaggerated. Someplace very close to nature, yet not too far from the beach.
In Arco Iris we found exactly what we wanted! The high class rooms are beautiful and the proximity to the swimming pool is great! The atmosphere is very calm and peaceful, and the restaurant is great (See our review on Seasons restaurant).
The price includes a nice breakfast, and the service is great.
Special thanks to Richard- the owner- for being so great and welcoming!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 7, 2009

My wife and I recently stayed here for a 7 day trip to Tamarindo. Our rooms were cleaned daily, the bed was firm and comfortable, and the daily breakfast was a great start to each day. Richard was super nice and easy to talk to about planning trips or getting recommendations for places to visit or eat.

The rooms are fairly small, but they have everything you'll need. Bed, TV, A/C (helpful!), refrigerator, clean bathroom, and a hammock in front of your door. The hotel is a 5min walk into the center of the town, but being away from the main street is helpful. Occasionally, there'll be a car blasting music or honking horns, and you won't hear any of that at the Arco Iris.

I would go back.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Came here on our honeymoon and it was wonderful. The owner is a great guy and gave us great advice about where to go hiking and biking in Guanacaste, the room was big, clean, and nicely decorated. It's about a 5 minute walk to the beach (and most stores/restaurants), and simply wonderful. Pool was clean and he just refinished the pool deck. It's a quiet, nice little getaway, and tons of fun. If you're there, skip the guided tours and head to Rincon de la Vieja or Arenal in a rental car, there's no need for the guided tours (unless you're into that). We did some great hiking on our own, Richard was really helpful in explaining where we could go if we wanted to hike/bike without paying for mud baths and zip line tours (though he explained how to do those as well).

We had a great time and would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat, it was absolutely wonderful. I think the other positive reviews are all correct, it's been great. Definitely where we'll stay if we are ever back in Tamarindo.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2009

I have never written a bad review before but I feel compelled to do so now so that other people may escape the horrible experience I had at Arco Iris. First of all, ignore every review that was posted more than a year and a half before this one - apparently, a cute little Italian couple used to own this hotel - NOT anymore! This hotel now has a new owner whose less-than-professional attitude caused me to cancel my stay and move elsewhere.

The owner was incapable of responding to any request with a coherent thought - this means anything from a suggestion of where to eat lunch (apparently, despite owning this hotel from a year and a half, he didn't know where to send tourists to eat in this town which encompasses all of TWO BLOCKS) to telling us that there was no way to buy a Tica bus ticket in Tamarindo (despite the fact that there was a ticket booth right on the main strip) to being incapable of booking a day tour to Monteverde which he and I had discussed over email multiple times before I began my trip (a trip he assured me he would be able to take care of while I was there, which is why I didn't research other options online before I left - joke's on me, I never got to go because once I got to Tamarindo, the owner told me about all these additional complications which he had never previously mentioned; specifically, that because it was "low season," no tours were running unless I was willing to pay for an entire trip's worth of people - except when I checked at the hotel Tamarindo Diria on the main strip, they were not only running tours but theirs were all full already because so many people wanted to go on them).

The rooms at this hotel are nice, but that's all that's nice about this hotel. There are bugs everywhere even at 2 in the afternoon and the pool is tiny and disgusting. When I complained about these things to the owner, his response was that there are bugs all over Latin America and that the pool was "mucky because it had been raining but it was clean." All I have to say is unless it was raining only over his hotel, that makes no sense because Tamarindo Diria did not have any mosquitos except at twilight (which you would expect) and had a perfectly clean pool. Arco Iris is also far from the beach up an unpaved muddy road - something certainly not made clear on its promotional materials.

Ultimately, I was so disgusted with this hotel and with the unprofessionalism of Richard, the owner, that I decided to check out and move to a different hotel (Tamarindo Diria, which is why I am able to compare that fantastic hotel with this one). However, when I decided to do so, the owner's response was absolutely unbelievable. He first tried to lie to me about hotel.com's policy regarding cancellations (he told me that hotels.com had a cancellation policy that once you check in, you get no money back. A quick call to hotels.com confirmed that this was incorrect: hotels.com has no policy whatsoever and only abides to policies that some hotels have, in this case, you are refunded all but your first night's stay), then told me he had to find out if he would still get paid by hotels.com before returning any of my money. I offered to wait while he called hotels.com to find out how the refund would work and his response was "I don't want to call them." How do you respond to logic like that?!? No professional hotel manager would EVER respond to a guest's request for a refund by saying, "I don't want to call to resolve your problem." In the end, I left completely disgusted and contacted hotels.com myself to get my money back, which they promptly refunded. Thank goodness I booked through such a professional company rather than directly with this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank WorldTraveler2727
hotelarcoiris, owner at Hotel Arco Iris, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2009

I am the owner of the Hotel Arco Iris. I an very committed to providing a level of service to my guests consistent with a boutique hotel. I enjoy talking with my guests and helping them have a great time. This includes helping to book tours, giving restaurant recommendations or directions to a pristine beach. I believe I am professional and coherent in my interactions with my guests.

I believe from the feedback I have recieved personally and from other reviews that most hotel guests are very satisfied with the help I give them. I encourage potential hotel guests to read the other reviews.

I believe the customer comes first and always try to find a constructive and fair solution when a problem arises including when a guest wants to move to another hotel.

I was a psychologist before buying the hotel so I understand quite well what motivates the behavior of a person and this makes it easier to respond in an empathic manner.

I have been pleased that the majority of my hotel guests have been very happy staying in our hotel.

Reviewed May 27, 2009

I spent 4 nights at the Iris and I have to say that this was by far the best spot in all of Tamarindo! It is located the perfect distance from the center of town to give you peace, but not too far that a couple minute walk can not cure. Richard is an excellent host and goes far beyond that of the typical. He was very accomodating and willing to go that extra mile to make sure that we were comfortable. This is the perfect spot for the middle of the road traveler. Not too expensive, but beyond that of a Hostel. Very nice place. Please consider the Arco Iris if and when you go to Tamarindo. Adam

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2009

I recently completed a week stay at Hotel Arco Iris. I had a wonderful time and recommend the hotel without reservation.

This is a small, boutique hotel with a laid-back atmosphere and a friendly vibe. The rooms are clean and the staff is helpful. The manager, Richard, is particularly helpful and is very knowledgeable about booking tours, restaurants, taxis and everything else in Tamarindo. The hotel itself is about a 5 minute walk to the beach and is very close to shops, restaurants and everything else in town. It is safe, has good A/C and a nice pool. The hammocks for each room are a nice touch and I really felt as though the staff would go the extra-mile to make the stay a pleasant one. Additionally, the restaurant that operates out of the hotel is excellent, if a little pricey. All-in-all, this was a great value and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2009

Richard, the owner, is so helpful for booking tours and highlighting good things to do in CR. The rooms were clean and although the hotel is not directly on the beach it is only about a 5 minutes walk. The restaurant at the hotel is the best in Tamarindo! I would definately stay again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple