“Fantastic hotel in a great little town...” 5 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN Tamarindo Vista Villas
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York Mills, New York
“Fantastic hotel in a great little town...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here for a week at the end of July, and we had a blast. The town itself, the tours, the nightlife, everything was great, but the best was this hotel, and specially the people operating it. Tamarindo Vista Villas came highly recommended by some friends who stayed here last year, and all good things they said about it.......this year we think it was even better. The staff is super friendly, they all speak English, and nothing is too much. Michael, a new member of the staff, was very knowledgeable about the tours, the beaches nearby and the places to go to at night. The first day we arrived he picked us up in the reception, helped us to the rooms, told us we had to come to the restaurant for food and drinks, gave us some lessons at the pool table.....and then it turned out he was more or less the manager.......I know some managers, but most of them won't carry your suitcases to your room. But OK, he was fantastic. All tours he recommended turned out to be fantastic, specially the fishing trip was something we'll never forget. One thing we all agreed upon, next year we'll be back, and we hope the staff will still be the same. Some things you shouldn't change too much. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BW Vista Villas T, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Tamarindo Vista Villas, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Yeah, that’s our Michiel, always ready with a helping hand. He’s at breakfast everyday giving advice about Tamarindo, and in the evening, when he’s no longer on the clock, he’s at the pool table giving pointers. Michiel is a great addition to our already very helpful staff. You pointed out that you came to us on the recommendation of your friends. We are grateful for good reviews like this one and the word-of-mouth recommendations because they bring us such great guests. We’ll look for you next year; we are ready to serve you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Hebrew first
Laguna Vista, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is my third review of the Vista Villas. I really enjoy Tamarindo, the beach, the view, & most of all the staff. While this is my third review, it is actually my fifth stay with them. I return about every 6 month for 2-3 weeks at a time. Since I go there primarily to surf, staying a longer period of time virtually insures getting good waves somewhere in the area.

Since my last trip in January, they have made some nice upgrades to the rooms. Recessed lighting & a flat screen TV made the room brighter & more comfortable. The rooms remain basic, but the work fine for me even for 2-3 weeks at a time.

The staff has had some turn over, but they still remain the most friendly & welcoming people in Tamarindo. Trevor is still managing the property with help from a new assistant, Michael, who handles everthing from the bar & restaurant to maintenance. As usual, I made my reservations on line via Ellen & Erika.

When I arrived at 10:00 PM, Marisol was waiting to check me in (her last duty of the evening, before going home). Up to my room & off to The Crazy Monkey Bar for Ladies Night. As always, I was greeted by Fernando, Sharom & Adolfo with a genuine "Welcome Home". I also met the newest member of the of the staff, Kristie, a medical student from near by Santa Cruz.

This was the start of 3 great weeks in Costa Rica. Many of the hotel guests are, also, surfers so I met many new friends & their family's during my stay along with two family's I had met the previous August. We plan to meet again next year.

What I love most about the Vista Villas is how they make their guest feel at home. Every employee from the housekeepers, (Sandra, Yesenia , Maria & Johanna) to the maintenance staff take a genuine interest in their guests & strive to make their stay memorable.

I plan to return next April to celebrate my 60th birthday. That's how much I love this place.

Room Tip: 300 series rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I bring a large group to Costa Rica every year and for the last two years, we've started our trip at the Best Western Vista Villas. It's super! The property has many different room types, so I can always find what I need. The staff is super accommodating from Reservations to Housekeepers! We will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Wow, where do I begin? Lets start with the kindness of Ellen and Aldolfo in reservations, then we will move on to Michael's new shrimp paste dish you can get at the Vista Villas Monkey bar, we will move on to Kristie's insanely great margaritas, and Fernando's tasty mojito's. Trevor I don't know how you continue to make this place better year after year?!!!!! Once again your staff has outdone themselves and helped to make our vacation more memorable. And let't not forget the view from the bar and pool area is the best Tamarindo has to offer!!!!!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Vista Villas more than once. The view is incredible. The hotel is old but well taken care of. The Monkey Bar is fun and has great food and drinks. But the BEST part of this hotel is the people. Trevor, Kristie, Mike, and Fernando are just a few of the wonderful people who are the heart and soul of the Vista Villas. Their warmth and laughter made the stay worthwhile over anything else.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
st.augustine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We first stayed at a discount motel that was not very nice so we went to the Best Western Vista Villas and for only $20 more per night we were very happy with our decision. The manager Trevor was very helpful with local information and the employees Sandra, Judith, and Erica were over the top friendly, helpful, and efficient. The view of the ocean from the room and the pool area was incredible and friendly monkeys in the trees were fun to watch. I can't wait to go there again, great food, great memories, great time, great place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank scott w
BW Vista Villas T, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Tamarindo Vista Villas, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Wow, such high praise! It’s really nice of you to point out that we are the “best” hotel for the money in the area. We do try very hard to make sure that our facilities are pleasing, and that our staff is helpful and accommodating. And the monkeys are here at no extra charge!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Went for a 5 night trip with a friend and we had an awesome time. We woke up early everyday to a fresh breakfast with nice variety which was included. If you wanted a little something extra you could buy that too. We would go out surfing for the day and by the time we came back Jesenia had our room looking perfect again, she was the best. Geisel at the front desk was very helpful in helping us plan our excursions, we went on atvs, catamaran, white water rafting and she arranged a shuttle back to the airport too. If your Spanish is no bueno they can speak English too. The pool area has a swim up bar with very attentive staff as well. Apparently Friday night is the big party night at this place but we missed it. I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: The lower level villas don't have a direct view of the beach but you get a nice porch with table...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We really appreciate your recommendation of the Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas. It’s great when someone gets what we are about here, and has a good time while visiting. Sounds like you really had a lot of activities to keep you busy, and we were glad to help you book them.

Our staff love this place as much as our guests, and from the maids to the bartenders to the cooks to the receptionists, everyone cares that your vacation is the best.

By the way, just recently we added crepe pancakes to our already plentiful free continental breakfast of pineapple, watermelon, papaya, yogurt, breakfast cake, toast, cereal, tea and coffee. And of course you can get eggs, gallo pinto, French toast and other hot choices for the small fee.

That said, all of us are sure you will be visiting us again. We’ll be waiting for you.