Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas
$179
Hotel Tamarindo Diria(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$162
Bookit.com
Occidental Tamarindo(Playa Langosta)
$191
$169
  • Pool
Seis Playas Hotel(Huacas)(Great Value!)
$88
Tamarindo Village Hotel(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$98
$302
$187
$249
  • Pool
El Mono Loco(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$45
Hotel La Laguna del cocodrilo(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$46
$43
Hotel Nahua(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$55
Travelocity
1,015 results
All reviewsmonkey barladies nightthe friday night partytropical suitecrazy monkeyswim up barcosta ricahuge partypool areaocean viewpura vidasurf schoolliving roomspecial thanksfull kitchencomplimentary breakfastin town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I visited Tamarindo purely to Surf and take in the amazing views. I couldn't have picked a better place during my stay in Tamarindo. At the pool level of the hotel, there is a great view of the ocean and estuary (This is the best place to surf in Tamarindo). There you can also grab a bite to eat at the bar while you take in the views. I would wake up every morning, walk up to the pool level, suck in the ocean air and check out the surf conditions while sipping coffee and eating their complimentary breakfast. After taking in the views and curing the morning hunger, I would grab my board and take a three minute walk to the beach to get my morning surf session in. The main part of the town is walking distance away just south of the hotel. The hotel itself is clean and well kept and the staff are professional and friendly. Definitely coming back here on my next trip back.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
EllenZoe, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2012

We appreciate the positive commentary about your stay with us. It’s nice to hear a surfer’s point of view, someone who takes advantage of the pool level to check out the waves each day. Sounds like you got a good routine going, and we are happy that we could help make your surfari a great one with comfortable rooms and accommodating staff. See you next time; we’ll save a wave for you.

Reviewed January 25, 2012

I spent a week at the Vista Villas with some friends over the New Year holiday, and to make a long story short, it was exactly what we needed. They have the most perfect location -- northern side of town overlooking the estuary, right across from the beach, far enough from the bar strip to have peace and quiet, yet close enough to walk within a few minutes. The property is gated and secure (they have someone at the gate monitoring who goes on and off the property 24/7) and they have ample amenities -- they even have a nice pool area up top that has a swim-up bar and overlooks the Pacific Ocean.

I found the hotel to be an overall very good value, and the quality of the rooms was high for Costa Rica standards. Typically, it is very difficult to find quality hotels in the mid-price range -- most places are either very high end (i.e. JW Marriott) or budget accommodations (i.e. youth hostels) -- but the Vista Villas does a good job at filling that void in the middle and providing good accommodations for reasonable prices. I found the staff to be suitably attentive, as they responded to our requests on a timely basis (i.e. called down to request extra towels and they were delivered within 5-10 minutes) and were pretty friendly overall.

At the end of the day, the Tamarindo Vista Villas is an overall good "bang-for-the-buck" option, and I would definitely stay here again -- high quality rooms, good security, great price, perfect location. Hope to see you guys again soon. Pura vida!

P.s. They also have an awesome surf shop there that provides lessons, board rentals, etc.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Mike, thank you for the great review. Believe us, we appreciate it when a guest such as you not only has a wonderful experience at our hotel, but takes the time to write about it in such detail. You touched on all our selling points, from our location on the hill which provides the gorgeous ocean views, to the fact that we are a good priced hotel option that is clean, safe and and nice with a staff that is attentive to our guest’s every whim. Actually, we couldn’t have gotten a better review unless we wrote it ourselves. So thanks once more, and come visit us again. You are always welcome at this “bang-for-the-buck” hotel.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

We stayed one night at the Hotel Best Western Tamarindo Vista in December, 2011. Our room was basic, but clean. I believe we got one of the two remaining rooms in the hotel, as we didn't have prior reservations. We sat at the pool in the evening and watched a gorgeous sunset, caught up on our email with the free wi-fi, and chatted with the friendly staff at the outdoor bar.

While we enjoyed our stay at the hotel very much, it was what happened afterwards that really impressed me. I inadvertently left my iphone in the hotel room when we checked out. I discovered my phone was missing when I got to the airport later in the day. I had no idea about where the phone might be - hotel, airport, restaurant, or any number of other places we had visited. I was pretty sure I'd never see it again.

After I got home, I received an email from Trevor from the Best Western Tamarindo, saying that the person who cleaned our room had found my iphone and had turned it in. Let me say that I was surprised and impressed that an honest employee turned in my phone and that another member of the staff went out of his way to contact me, package up and mail me the phone, and then follow-up via email. I couldn't have asked for better service - friendly, honest, and extremely accomodating. Thank you, staff at the Hotel Best Western Tamarindo Vista!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
EllenZoe, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

Thank you so much for the great comments. We are really appreciative when a guest takes the time to write about a positive experience with us. Of course we would contact you when we found the telephone; we knew how important it was to you and after all, it was your valuable personal property and it was our duty to return it to you. We want you to feel safe and secure with us here at the Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas and we hope that if you do, you will come back and visit us again.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

Small room, noisy neighbors and no hot water.
The airconditioner condensation wet my bed sheets
A terrible experience and not cheap

Room Tip: Do not go!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Martin C
EllenZoe, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2012

First of all, we would like to apologize to you for your experience, we are truly disappointed to find that a client had such an unpleasant stay with us. We rarely have such terrible reviews and with a high rate of return customers, we are sure that we offer a much better service than what you are describing. All of these problems could have been remedied by simply reporting them to our friendly English speaking staff. I mean, you wouldn't want us invading your privacy and listening in on every room, right? So how could we have known if your neighbors were disrupting your stay if you don't let us know? We have someone answering our front desk phone 24-hours per day just in case of these types of instances. Finally, to call us "not cheap" seems to be a slight exaggeration. Our clients find us to be very reasonably priced with rooms ranging anywhere from $69 to $94 and suites available from $109 to $159. Of course, we most certainly aren't a $20 per night "roach coach" but you won't find a cleaner, safer, and more fun ocean-view hotel at a better price!

Reviewed January 18, 2012

My 1 night at this hotel could not have been short enough! The room appears "decent" when you first walk in, except then I looked down on the floor to see tons and tons of giant ants. Needless to say I did a dance and stepped on all of them until they were all "gone". All I could think of the rest of the night were the ants and I hoped they did not crawl up to my bed.

The nicest part of this hotel is the view of the ocean (in the distance).

The breakfast the next morning (included with the room fee) was pathetic.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dreamer1000

First of all, thank you for staying with us (even though it was for only 1 night). Of course, we are in the Tropics and as such, we have found that an occasional encounter of the insect kind is inevitable. So, for that we would like to offer our sincerest apologies. As for your "dance" to kill all of them, why didn't you notify one of our staff members? Even though you arrived at almost midnight, we still had one of our night guards help you up to your room, you probably could have asked him to help you get rid of a couple ants and saved your dancing for our Salsa Night.

As for breakfast, we offer (and openly publicize) a continental breakfast. As hotel textbook will tell you, a continental breakfast can be defined as a selection of coffees, teas, juices, fruits, toast, breakfast cereals and assorted pastries. The presence of meat is a primary distinguishing factor between a "regular" breakfast and a continental one. A continental breakfast will never include meat. Believe us, we offer exactly this plus a full breakfast menu in case you are looking for something a little more substantial.

So why the one star? Well, reading between the lines, we also want to apologize for the wait that you had in reception on the evening of your check-in. You see, your booking agent (also a fellow hotel) had been notified that we had canceled your reservation due to a lack of payment, but, seeing as you still showed up, we opted to let you stay for free and not punish you for the mistakes of your booking agent.