We really enjoyed this hotel and we're glad we stayed here. The location is outstanding - right in the middle of town and within walking distance to plenty of restaurants, shops and caddy corner to a little supermarket. 2 ATMs are within spitting distance and it takes just a few minutes to get to High Tide Surf Shop, Iguana Surf or anything else you might need in town.
We had a sunset room - spacious and clean with a fantastic view of the beach. We're glad we paid extra to be by the beach. There were usually people by the beach-side pool but the back pool (stunning) was usually barren... that may change as high season rolls around.
Breakfast is great - fruit, yogurt, breads, pastries, gallo pinto and traditional American food. More than you need. The bar is great although service out by the pool and the lawn is very scarce - you'll get faster service by walking to the bar and placing your own order. The Matapalo Restaurant (next to the beach) is well worth visiting for drinks or a snack at sunset.
If you like to surf, there's a surf spot in front of the hotel. On smaller days, you'll be dodging swimmers and beginners at surf schools. Larger days break well over the reef. Just to the right of the property (as you face the beach) is a slightly hollower wave. 5 minutes will take you to the rivermouth and a nice barreling wave. You can also walk over to the water taxis (right by the rivermouth) to cross the estuary to Playa Grande. A 45 minute walk along the beach will take you to the most popular break in front of Las Tortugas. The rest of Playa Grande has plenty of breaks, though. Grande is typically 3 feet bigger than Tamarindo.
Some restaurants we visited:
El Jardin Del Eden - wonderful atmosphere and very good food. We would consider this hotel next time as the pool/gardens were gorgeous.
Lazy Wave Cafe - Reminescent of an Asian or Moroccan influence... outstanding seafood with an exotic twist. Some seats are traditional dining tables while others are couches and low chairs in a red-tinged outdoor dining area. Highly recommend Delice Del Mar.
Nogui's - Good but I don't see why so many people fall all over themselves for this place.
Nibbana - Probably my favorite place... also with an Asian feel. Outstanding pork loin and the tuna tartare was delicious!
El Coconut - An expensive place but excellent and the atmosphere is very nice. Norwegian-run and nice for a fancier dinner.
Kahiki - Very cool bar with a great atmosphere and tasty mojitos. Located next to Iguana Surf.
Pasatiempo Hotel and Bar - Good if you're looking for an American-style hangout. More of a party place than anything else.
Panaderia de Paris - French-run bakery with good pastries and coffee... comes with authentic French "service" ;)
Witch's Rock Cafe - Good casual hangout with a lot of gringos. Defnitely not gourmet but if you're craving some "bad" food (nachos, chicken tenders, etc.) this is a good choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Tamarindo Diria is the iconic beach hotel located in Tamarindo Beach, Guanacaste, Costa Rica, with its own personality perfect for an authentic Costa Rica vacation. Features direct access to the most famous costa rican white sand beach, front ocean view accommodations, 4 swimming pools, 5 restaurants, 5 bars, and much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with West Indies, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Tamarindo Diria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach & Golf Tamarindo
- Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach And Golf Resort
- Tamarindo Diria Hotel