2,970 results
All reviews beach side tour desk swim up bar family pool adult pool costa rica ocean view breakfast buffet grassy area lagoon pool in town waffle station beachfront room third floor beach resort destination wedding large pool
Selected filters
Reviewed April 17, 2017 via mobile

We stayed in a "premium ocean view room", on the right hand side of the property. Thought the room was nice, breakfast pretty good. We had a ground floor room which had the advantage of easy access to the garden/pool area with the French doors (that unfortunately could not be locked or unlocked from the outside), disadvantage was minor loss of privacy and less good ocean view.

The hotel is right on the beach (which is public). Be careful swimming there, there are rocks which are hidden at high tide, I cut my foot on one, despite sticking to the areas where everyone was swimming.

Customer service during check in left a lot to be desired. After being given that ground floor room, I requested instead a high floor and - without the staff member even checking or bothering to go through the motions of checking - was curtly told "no sorry, we are full". Meanwhile, someone else shows up after me at the next desk and I overhear that they are given a third floor in the same block. So I ask again, answer comes back no again, I hadn't put in a request in my reservation. So I ask to speak to a manager, and the staff member replies, "well I'm the supervisor, so...". A couple of hours later I spoke with the guest services lady who was much more nice and accommodating and attempted to get us moved as soon as she could.

Beware thieves here: on our second day someone ran into the property and swiped someone's stuff off their lounge chair. A portly guard showed up out of breath a couple of minutes late, I suspect the thief was long gone. Also someone attempted to enter our room through the French doors whiie my kids were alone in the room. Could have been a guest making a mistake, but could not have been.

Lastly, the towel policy is a major annoyance. To get their manky, gross pool towels, you must exchange the token you are given at check in. If you do not return the token or the equivalent number of towels at check out you get fined. When someone took one of our four towels I went to reception to tell them. They said it was my fault for not looking after them, and that it was another guest probably taking ours so they didn't have to pay the fine, and that there was nothing they could do! Outrageous! You'd expect a bit more class at a $300 per night hotel.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2017

Overall the Hotel was decent.
Family pool was big and clean.
Food was decent and staff was friendly.
Location was nice right in the middle of town with free parking for all guests.

We arrived very early and was greeted by the hotel desk with a warm welcome. The girl that took care of us could not find our reservation but after 30 mins (not kidding) we were told that we did indeed have a room. Whew

The good thing was that they let us use the facilities, stored our luggage and let us park for free in the secure lot. All a big plus when you consider it is extremely hard to park in the town and it was 98 degrees.

The bad thing was the actual experience with the room. After we got our room we noticed that the AC was not working properly. We called down to the front desk and someone came up pretty quickly. His idea of fixing the problem was to remove the filter. Obviously that worked but he never replaced it. About 4am I wake up to the smell of sewer. I tried to call the front desk but no one answered. I tried calling the operator but got the same response. Nothing. I actually walked down to the front desk at 4:15am. I spoke with the person at the desk who asked the cleaner to come with me to my room to see what was the problem. He agreed that it was the AC putting out the smell. I turned the AC off and slept in an extremely hot and stuffy room.

When I checked out I made sure the front desk knew of the problem with the room to hopefully prevent it from happening to someone else.

I would probably stay at this hotel again if I ever came back to Costa Rica, which will never happen. Not a big fan of the country but thats another story.

Room tip: Try to stay on Beach side. You wont have to cross the street.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank 27larryo
Reviewed April 16, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I spent 6 days/5 nights at this resort. It was a great experience. Weather was perfect, resort was beautiful, clean, and had everything to offer. The hotel has two sides separated by the street. We stayed in standard rooms on the checkin desk/beach side, but if we had to book over again, we would have booked in the adults section on the other side of the resort. Either way the beach is right there.

They have lots of pools, we spent most of our time at the adults only pool hanging out with Luis the bartender. He made our day great by playing music, laughing with us, and telling us some funny stories. They also have a nice lounge area including a billiards table on the opposite side of the swim up bar.

The food was great, good selection of foods. Drinks were good and they have happy hour at the main bar by the beach from 4:30 to 6:00 for 2 for 1 drinks. There are lots of different restaurants that are part of the hotel and everything can be billed to the room so you don't have to worry about carrying cash around unless you go shopping at the stores nearby. We ate at Nari pizza which was soooo good, and Gallo has great chicken. We didn't go to Flying Bull as it looked a little expensive. We ended up eating at a couple of spots off of the hotel that had similar menus for a little less.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family and if we ever decide to revisit Costa Rica, we would likely stay here again.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2017

We stayed here two nights and really enjoyed the central location (we spent first nights at far end of beach) with our young son, who enjoyed the pools and the outdoor bar with tv playing soccer matches (I know, I know). The hotel arranged a couples massage and a river excursion for us, and both were nice. Our first room was on the ground floor and when we turned out the lights we had big red ants in the bathroom and on bedroom walls. The hotel moved us immediately when we asked very late at night. We enjoyed the big buffet breakfast and the multiple pools (including adults only pool!) . It would be nice if the hotel had some chairs on the beach so guests won't have to pay $15 a day for the ones on the beach. Wifi in our second room was sporadic. We would stay here again, in a room higher than ground floor.

Room tip: Careful of ants with ground floor rooms.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2017

Friendly staff, tasty food and a spacious room with a pool side balcony were features that made our stay at the Daria very enjoyable. How special it was to enjoy the beautiful sandy beaches of the warm Pacific as we dined at the hotel's open air restaurant. We took advantage of the wholesome breakfasts which were included in our package. As we were in Tamarindo for only 6 days we chose to eat at other establishments during our stay, However, reports by other guests indicated that the buffet dinners were excellent. Both my husband and I were thankful that we brought water shoes to fully enjoy our frequent strolls along the beach.Yes, the sand was golden and fine but the areas of volcanic rock made walking barefoot uncomfortable.