“Best Place in Tamarindo!!”

Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 24, 2009

So my cousins and I, who are all around 25-30 yrs old, stayed at this beautiful hotel. When I first walked in...i was in awe. It was simply beautiful. It really is the ONLY resort found on the beach. We stayed in the Sunset Ocean View room on the 3rd floor and it had an incredible view and youre right on the beach..the other rooms are across the street which sucks. The pool and tanning area were beautiful with many areas to tan. The beach in front of the hotel was perfect, and they have surf lessons if you want to take classes. They also have private massages which I did twice because it was so cheap, relaxing and it was right on the ocean. There are 3 iguanas that like to come by the lounge chairs, but they seem harmless..theyre sooo calm and just like to sit there and look at the ocean. The breakfast was delicious, however, I got sick of it after the 4th day because it was almost the same thing over and over. The restaraunt in the hotel is REALLY GOOD..we ate there all the time..i recommend the chicken burrito...amazing!! The staff was really cool and sweet, and theres security. The rooms I would say are more of a 3 star. The toilet sucked, the air conditioner leaked..but, overall, the location and beauty of the hotel didnt let this bother us. The town is really small and kind of weird, but staying in this resort made us feel comfortable, relaxed, and protected. I recommend this hotel to everyone. Its perfect for all ages, and we had a blast. I would stay here again;)

As far as restaraunts...I would only recommend one (other than the hotel's restaraunt)..its called Nibbana. The service and food was INCREDIBLE.
DO NOT order sushi at Wok n Roll (which I got from Lonely Planet) it was by far the WORST sushi i have ever had and terrible service...save urself and dont eat here!!!

As for lounges/bars: I would recommend Pacifica and Bar One. Awesome

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank NYLakerGirl

Reviewed August 14, 2009

Just stayed 3 nights at the Diria. Great location in the middle of Tamarindo righ on the beach. Soft beach break in front, and better surf at rivermouth about half mile away. I was looking to hang out with surfers, but this is much more of a family hotel.

Rooms are a little dated, but everything was very clean and the service was quite good. Also, no internet service in the rooms - big downer when you are trying to get work done on a trip!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2009

My niece and I spent 5 days in Costa Rica and loved the Diria! The hotel was very clean and the staff, especially behind the front desk was very friendly and helpful. Our first room had a king sized bed in it and we really wanted two queens. The staff changed the room in an instant to make sure we were happy!! If you are going to stay somewhere in Tamarindo, stay at the Diria! We had a wonderful trip! :)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I just got back from Tamarindo - so happy I chose to stay at the Diria! It was just me and my son (I am a single mom) and I took him for his 13th bday). It's in the heart of town, everything you need is within a couple city blocks. The entire hotel staff is amazing and helpful - and a couple of the servers at the restaurant are very funny! :) The room was rock star clean, fantastic cleaning staff. I HIGHLY recommend the ocean view upgrade, worth every penny! I can't tell you of even one bad experience, they took care of everything I needed - absolutely love the front desk staff! I am planning to go back in Dec or Jan and will DEFINITELY stay there again, and every time after that!

You will meet a lot of cool people in town, locals and Americans (both visiting and who have moved there) who are very friendly - my son made a ton of friends immediately who he hung out w. at the beach and (gorgeous!) pool. Make sure to stop by the tattoo shop (about 5 min walk up the street on the same side as the Diria) and talk to the owners who are from Philadelphia, my hometown. They will hook you up with great restaurant ideas in town. Don't forget to walk over to Kahiki's and talk to Steve, their lively chef from Manhattan. Excellent food!

oh and no need for taxi's to do anything EXCEPT go to Lola's! Lola's is about a 20 min taxi drive to Avellano's beach. BEST WAVES EVER! The owners are great (make sure you meet them, really nice people), tons of kids everywhere, BIGGEST waves you'll ever see (the locals call Lola's/Avellano's beach "Little Hawaii") with surfers who will blow your mind... and there are swimmable parts at the very same spot for kids and non surfers who want to chill on their boogie boards. and the food at Lola's is SPECTACULAR. A little off the beat and path place to chill for the day while you're in Tamarindo.... you can't not go to Lola's! :)

Also, outside the Diria are always a bunch of taxi drivers hanging around who will ask you 'taxi?" ---- if you need one, ask for Jose. He's a good looking taxi driver from Santa Rosa - nicest guy ever. I didnt get a car, but he took me and my son up to Lola's every other day and when we wanted to stay later than planned, he hung out and waited for us! great guy!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank bab77
Reviewed July 24, 2009

My husband and I went to Costa Rica to celebrate our 5 year anniversary and fell in love. We first went to the Volcano Arenal for a couple of nights and then went to Tamarindo for five nights. The Tamarindo Diria Hotel is the place to stay when in Tamarindo. It is the only hotel located right on the beach, with oceanview rooms. We loved that it was also right in the middle of the town so we could walk everywhere. In Costa Rica, the life style is very laid back so don't expect the service to be anything different. The hotel probably had the worst service out of the places we ate at but it was convenient. We tried out several different resturants along the beach and in town, they all had great food. The hotel's front desk was very helpful and friendly. We recommend going to the Secret Spot for surf lessons, ask for Rudy. We had an amazing time and Costa Rica is definitely a must see place.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Stayed at the Tamarindo Diria for six nights at the end of a Costa Rica tour.
Arrived in Tamarindo on a tiny plane that landed on an airstrip in the middle of a field on the outskirts of Tamarindo.
First impressions of the hotel were very good and our room was large with wonderful views overlooking the Pacific ocean.
The beach outside the hotel was beautiful with huge rollers and the sand was clean and white.
The grounds were beautifully manicured and paths wound their way down to the beach.
The highlight of the whole holiday was the nighttime trip to watch the a giant turtle laying her eggs - a wonderful sight.
Tamarindo is a small village with a clutch of restaurants and shops at the end of the road that finished in a traffic circle.
There wasn't a terrific amount of things to see and do in Tamarindo unless you liked surfing. We had spent such a wonderful time touring around the country that to actually have nothing else to do but sit around a pool we found a little boring. Even so, we did have a great time, but didn't really need six days in Tamarindo.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anne D
Reviewed July 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in April and absolutely loved it. We had a room on the 2nd floor that had a partial view of the ocean through the trees. We spent most of our days in the water or laying out in the grassy area in the chairs they provide, there were always plenty to choose from and we had iguanas that would entertain us as we sat. The beach was incredible, the only issue I had with it was with so many surfers in the water, it sometimes didn't seem safe to go too far out amongst them. We usually tried to wait till there weren't many out there.
Our room was sufficient, there's a very spacious balcony which was great, the bathroom was pretty small, but no big deal.
We loved that there were restaurants and shops nearby. Our favorite was the surf shop about 5 minutes down the road, something Joe's. Wonderful food at a great price! The breakfast that was included at the hotel was really good - made to order eggs/omelets, meats, hashbrown potatos, rice and beans of course, and a ton of fruits. We ate dinner in the gorgeous restaurant at the hotel one night and it was pretty good, nothing too amazing. Our only complaint is that being in Costa Rica, you would expect to have free coffee (our first hotel in Arenal had some) in the lobby, but they only had it at breakfast.
The ladies at the front desk could have been a little nicer, but they were always at least helpful.
I'm a travel agent and would definitely recommend this place to my clients!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamarindo
Jardin del Eden boutique hotel
Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas
Cala Luna Luxury Boutique Hotel & Villas
Tamarindo Bay Boutique Hotel
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel
Occidental Tamarindo
Occidental Tamarindo
#1 of 1 in Playa Langosta

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria? Share your experiences!