“Life Saver”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Victoria, Texas
“Life Saver”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We arrived in Liberia Costa Rica on Sat. July 19 to a less than spectacular resort on the north end of Guancaste bay. We had a sailing trip on Sunday in Tamirindo and went early, wow what a beach. We decided right then to move for the rest of our vacation. Got a great room on the beach at a great price. The service, facilities, breakfast, food and location were off the charts. No hesitation to stay here if we ever go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike56823
MariaTDBR, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Tamarindo Diria, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Warmest Greetings Mike!

Thank you for your great review! We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mentioned , Tamarindo beach is intensively beautiful. We would also like to mention that it has a three kilometer stretch of white sand, warm blue water, exquisite nature and stunning sunsets that you will definitely fall in love with.

Againg, we are very happy to know that you had a great experience at our resort. Thank you for choosing our property to spend the rest of your vacation.

We are already looking forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I recently stayed at the Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort for a business conference and vacation. The grounds are well kept and the entire experience was very satisfying. The staff provided excellence service and the food at the various restaurants was of the highest quality. Our room had an excellent view of the pool and ocean with an occasional monkey swinging the tree tops. I would highly recommend the Diria to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, ocean, pool or both.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Edward M
Dear Edward,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We are delighted to be able of providing you a memorable vacation. Glad to hear you also attended a Business Conference during your stay with us. Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort is proud to suit your business requirements in the middle of a Tropical Paradise, where business definitely meets pleasure.

Thanks for mentioning our Resort's beautiful setting and your room's excellent ocean view.
We also shared your review with our Food & Beverage team and they are very happy to know that you enjoyed your food at our different Restaurants!

Thank you again for sharing your experience and recommending us! On behalf of all our Staff and the cute Monkeys, we look forward to your next visit! Warmest Regards.
Province of San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

The hotel infrastructure is a little bit old, but it is in good condition. The price is good, the pools are nice, the food is very good, I liked the breakfast, the pizza place they have and their caffeteria. I like it is beach front.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chino-viajero
MariaTDBR, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Tamarindo Diria, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Hola Chino Viajero,

Thank you for taking a moment to let us know about your wonderful time during your stay with us.

We are thrilled that you had a pleasing gastronomic experience in our restaurants. Our delicious breakfast is specially prepared to please our guests' palates combined with a spectacular ocean view!

We look forward to your return!
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I choose Diria based off the location so that did not disappoint. The town of Tamarindo itself is a walkable town with really two main streets and then some side dirt roads so some of the more off the path establishments like Green Papaya, Higher Ground or La Bodega.

The hotel is really on two sides of the main street. The ocean side buildings were older from what I had been told. I stayed on the pool side which has two main pools servicing the pool buildings plus condo people who can enjoy the same facilities. The room I was given was kinda on the small end for what I deem a pretty high price for Costa Rica per night lodging but they probably are pricing based off what else is really around that is nice and central to town. I think down the road away from town you can find some nice resorts and maybe even on the all inclusive end. just be prepared to pay in taxi and or rental car if you want to check out town.

The rooms were clean, the bed was not very comfortable for the price, the AC unit worked really nice for what I consider a pretty humid climate. The bathroom was on the small end as well. Not much counter space for my toiletries and felt like the toilet and shower were right on top of each other with the sink. The shower didn't drain very well so it could be chalked up to crappy plumbing? There is a window in the bathroom with no curtain / shade so someone tall can easily be creepy and hover by the window if walking by and watch you on the toilet or shower. I banged and cut the bottom of my foot going over the foot of the shower on what I believe is a pretty angled and sharp edge to begin with. The genius who designed that feature should have used a more beveled edge to the foot of the shower transition. I did not feel bad bleeding all over the floor towel.

Compared with some of the other places I saw on the strip in Town.. i think this is as best as your going to get for staying right in Tamarindo town center. The value just is not there in my mind. Maybe renting a condo would be more worth looking into. Even at the Diria condos. I did price some out for fun one night and they came in just under what Diria itself was charging per night. I don't feel your losing much on the service end.

The pools on the non ocean side were nicer and newer. Really the ocean side your just going to jump in to cool off cause the beach is literally a hundred yards off. There is a kiddie pool and small adult pool. I found myself staying to the beach side in the morning, grabbing lunch and relaxing till around 2:30 and relocating myself back on the pool end of hotel where there is a bit more shade available. 12-2:30 during my stay was brutal on the beach side because lack of shade. Your probably better off dealing with / paying the guys who setup chairs and umbrellas on the beach themselves for shade than the Diria ocean side which is really just chairs setup on the grass and a palm trees before the beach itself.

Breakfast was included during my stay and I checked it out once. Nothing special. Just a buffet of random things thrown together to suite the spectrum of tastes. The service was awful and the staff seemed uninterested in breakfast service. The front desk is run by 1 person usually and my interactions with that staff was "ok" at best. I just felt like they felt they were doing me a favor by working and getting me checked in.. getting me new beach towels for the day, etc.

The valet was a pleasant fellow who I was able to bounce some ideas off for what was good in town etc. Most of my information though came in handy from one of the local business owners who I shared a shuttle from SJO airport. Stu the Tatoo parlor owner. Really nice guy and if you need a tattoo should top in to see him.

Bfast if you want better food / choices I still say La Bodega is a great choice. Its a little walk from Diria but worth it for the coffee and the organic food choices. But if free is your deal then stick with Diria buffet if you want.

I did not try and of the restaurants associated with Diria but my feedback from some of the locals was it is overpriced and not as good value / quality which makes sense if owned by the same people own the hotel itself.

Patagonia is a great dinner option and its always busy so invest in a reservation if you know your going there.

There is great lunch spots up off the main road in the Fallafel place and Green Papaya. If you fancy a monster burrito or local flavors there is FTs right across from Witchs Rock which is left down the road of Diria if your walking out from the ocean side.

Room Tip: There are two sides to Diria. The beachfront buildings have the ocean views and from my understandin...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
7 Thank donny h
Dear Donny,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. They definitely help us to improve our services...we know small details make a big difference.

We appreciate that you highlighted our resort privileged location. We are situated in the heart of Tamarindo Down town (the most famous beach of Costa Rica). Thanks to it, our Hotel offers the best oceanfront escapes in the area. Our guests have also the opportunity to take a number of excursions and easy access to the other fabulous Costa Rican beaches like Playa Grande, Avellanas or Conchal.

Thank you for your feedback regarding some Interior design details you noticed in the bathroom. We will take your comments into consideration to make some adjustments.

Also, we are continually training our staff to ensure a great service for our guests, therefore, we truly regret that your experience was not completely satisfactory during your stay. We have forwarded your comments to our Front Desk and Food & Beverage staff to help them meet our guest's hospitality expectations.

Thank you for visiting us!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I just got back from a trip to Tamarindo for my sister's wedding with a group of 36 people who all stayed at the Diria hotel. After the bad experience the vast majority of us had at this hotel I can guarantee we will do our best to communicate to everyone we know to avoid ever wasting their time or money here. First I'll begin with the few positives to this hotel: the location is one of the best in the town - you get access to a beautiful wide beach with a sandy bottom which is both friendly to swimmers and kids alike. The surf in the morning is great for beginners looking to hit the waves. However, this is a public beach and if you're staying in town you can easily walk to it without having to stay at the hotel. The Diria is right in the middle of town which gives you access to a huge variety of places to eat and shop within a short walking distance. That said however, be aware that if you're on the garden side of the hotel you have to constantly and annoyingly cross a busy road to have access to the restaurant for breakfast and the beach. There were a couple staff members at the hotel who were friendly and accommodating - however this was definitely not the norm. The gardens and grounds are beautiful and very well kept - although the pool sides could use a good hosing off as there is a lot of iguana/bird poop you have to dodge. And the continental breakfast that was included was extensive and good, although it was almost impossible getting coffee and water brought to the table.

Now for the overwhelmingly bad......when we arrived the check in line was ridiculously long as they only had one staff member working. It was the same when checking out - very under staffed. The first room we had didn't have a functioning shower head and the water temperature was either freezing cold or scalding hot. Every person I talked to in the hotel had the same issues with the temperature of the water. When we complained they gladly switched us to a room with a better shower - however this came at the cost of having NO AIR CONDITIONING. There are some things that are non negotiable while staying in +40 weather - this is one of them. They assured us three times that they were fixing the problem, however after waiting patiently for three days we finally had to ask to move again. The beds in the hotel were very akin to lying on slabs of concrete - in the room with no AC I gave names to all of the springs I felt in the bed while trying to sleep. They soon became good friends. The third and final room we were put in had great air conditioning, but no safe. This was an issue for people trying to keep their passports and belongings secure. We ended up having to store it all with family members. I'd also like to mention that someone at the hotel's front desk gave our room number and information to a random local on the beach who was selling trips to tourists. I was actually worried for my safety when this stranger phoned my hotel room and asked to speak to the person I was staying with. I can say with 100% certainty we DID NOT divulge this information to the stranger so someone at the hotel did. Scary stuff. I had a young cousin sit at the beach bar for half an hour waiting to ask for water from the bar tender, only to be completely ignored. This particular staff member should be fired - he was rude and ignorant and actually rolled his eyes at us when we asked for another drink to be added to our order.

After a few days at the hotel people began to call it SCAMarindo, with very good reason. The food prices in town are expensive at a few places, and since the Diria complex owns a large portion of the restaurants you can understand why. However, there were a few diamonds in the rough for food in the town - try the Green Papaya for lunch and La Palapas for dinner. Both excellent and the latter is located right on the beach.

To make a long story short, this hotel has cornered the hotel market in this town and they know it. Do yourself a HUGE favor and either rent a condo on VRBO and get your own groceries in town, or stay at a smaller, more cared for hotel where you know the people don't take the tourism dollars for granted. The tourist turn over at the Diria is high and they know it and use it to their advantage. They have little to no interest in making sure visitors are happy or have a good experience because there will always be someone in line waiting to book who hasn't done their homework before going. This hotel is $250-400/night so you'd expect to get value for your money - be prepared for the opposite. I STRONGLY suggest that if you read this you heed my warning. Costa Rica is amazing and I'd go back in a heart beat....just not there. Happy travelling!!

11 Thank Lisa C
MariaTDBR, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Tamarindo Diria, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Lisa,

On behalf of the Hotel Management, we would like to express our thanks for your detailed feedback. It is much appreciated.

First of all, we are delighted that your sister chose our beautiful resort to accommodate her wedding guests but truly regret the facts that made your experience not as pleasant as you deserve it.

As you may heard, our Resort is well known for its fantastic weddings and the unforgettable memories that The Bride and Groom (including their guests) experience during their stay with us.

We highly appreciate that you emphasize Tamarindo Diria Resort's privileged location, our outstanding Gardens and our delicious/extensive complimentary Breakfast. Our Sunset Ocean Premium and Sunset Ocean View rooms are located on the beachside. These rooms offer an amazing beach and sunset view and they are ideal for the people who don't feel comfortable crossing the street to our Tropical Pool side rooms, which offer a more private atmosphere.

We are privileged to be located in the middle of a tropical paradise, which means we are surrounded by lush Flora and Fauna. It's part of the magic of being surrounded by nature, which means that our guests will probably have the chance to see them close. We are a sustainable Hotel, we seek to remain in harmony with the natural environment without altering its ecosystem.

Also, The Resort was 100% booked during your stay and we apologize if you had to wait a little bit more than the usual at the check in line. However, we have relayed your comments to our Front Desk Manager to help him make any necessary adjustments to improve the quality of our services. We also thank you for your feedback on the malicious call you received from this random local person selling trips. The well-being of our guests is vital, we have a strong confidentiality policy to protect our guests' personal information and this is already being followed up.

Again, thanks for your thoughtful feedback, we are always improving our quality standards and your comments have definitely helped us to identify our priorities.
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed July 27, 2014

The staff's behavior towards guest was down right appalling! Guest were treated like we were bothering the staff if we asked a question or needed any type of help. Staff was rude, short, and dismissive! Hot water did not work part of the time and the staff just dismissed it, same with the shower and fan. My friend and I waited at the bar for over 5 minutes, money in hand, no other customers around while 3 employees stood around talking. I witnessed this type of behavior at the front desk as well with other guest. If you plan to rent a car, do not use the AVIS rental car kios in the hotel because if the one employee does not come into work, there is no one to help you even if you have a reservation. Again no apology from the hotel. If you plan to surf, you may not bring your surfboard in your hotel room. They have a cage they lock it up in and you must wait to check it out and wait to check it in. On the positive side, the hotel itself is beautiful with really good pools (however a lot of rules). The room maids were awesome and helpful. The breakfast was decent, however it would have been nice if the food was labeled so you knew what you were eating. The rooms across from the beach were really nice and quiet with a great view of the "good" pool. The rooms over looking the beach were nice but the pool there was pretty mediocore. so depend on what you want. Good location in the middle of town however, town is not that big so it doesn't matter where you stay. Another down side, however I totally understand why they do this, is the wrist band you must wear to show you are a guest ( only guest are permitted on the premise ) this is for guest safety. However, this shows all the vendors you have money and it makes it hard to bargin with them. Hope this helps

Room Tip: The side across from the beach has a great view of the "good" pool, and is quiet. The roo...
5 Thank LinLaz
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Very nice hotel with amazing grounds...it is a bit touristy but the service is top notch. Great breakfast, nice pool and beach access.

Rooms are a lot smaller than they appear in the pictures (but who plans on staying in the room anyway)? Good happy hour with half priced drinks. A great place if you have children or if you are college students looking to party. Walking distance from a lot of activities including catamaran, surf shops, atv, etc.

The ocean view from room is a bit obstructed by trees but overall no complaints.

1 Thank snfreeman