“Beautiful beachfront locale right in the middle of town”

Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

We loved staying here! Would definitely stay here again. The beach was beautiful and great for swimming. Room was spacious and comfortable. We loved the pool across the street with the swim up bar and friendly fun bartender. Beautiful grounds and we loved walking just down the v street to the nightlife. Very reasonable prices for food and drink.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank bctinsc
There are newer reviews for Hotel Tamarindo Diria

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Me and my friends stayed here last year and it was such a relaxing experience. We spent every day at the beach laying out and then going by the pool to have drinks. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast every morning was great! I still miss those waffles!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sareandiego
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I did not want to leave. We got the premium ocean view room on the ground floor so could walk out the patio door to watch the sunsets or enjoy the beach view.
Our room was clean, but pretty basic considering the price, but it looks like they are completely renovating. Rooms across from us were being worked on by construction workers but never bothered us.
When we got there we immediately flipped on the fan and the air, which blew the electricity. They put a new breaker in and it blew again so they worked in the room and decided they would need to replace the fan. Told us just to not use it. Room was definitely cool without it. We did not have the water issues like others have talked about. Enough hot water for the 3 of us every day.
Sunrise is by 4:30 AM down there so we were up and in the car to surf either in Playa Grande or Playa Avellanas which were both better for surfing. At Avellanas we surfed out by Cabinas de Las Olas and were lucky enough to see a large family of Howler monkeys.
Then we would return to the hotel for their fabulous breakfast. I have never seen such a spread included with a room. I loved having the nice woman make an omelet for me and staff so willing to explain what some things were.
Low tide exposed the rocks on the beach behind the hotel so it was great for exploring. We stayed around the hotel and just enjoyed the beach and pools and only went across the street to big pools a couple times. The main drag seemed so much safer and somewhat higher class than the main area of Jaco so I felt safe everywhere. We only ate at the Pizza place that Diria owned and walked to local places for the rest of the meals. As for the street venders on the beach, they were not a problem and we rather enjoyed watching them. Actually a couple motivated me to purchase some bird whistles from them. We did not see drug dealers anywhere in town, though I was looking for the pot man to buy a pot from him to bring home the last day. <g> The grounds, the restaurants, and the people were all beautiful and if I ever get back to Tamarindo, I will stay here oceanfront premium again!

Room Tip: If you choose ocean front premium, the lower numbers are closer to the pool, but the trees do block...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Very nice place. Room was great, but the cleaning staff will turn off the AC when they are done cleaning your room. The best thing was they have security guards at the beach entrance that do not allow the beach vendors to ruin your meal,lounging, or just plain old walking as long as you are on the property. Watch out when you get off the property though, they are relentless in their attempt to sell you CRAP.

Room Tip: Beach front is the ticket.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

WE LOVED THIS HOTEL!

We were in the premium sun view hotel room - the first floor rooms facing the beach. It was absolutely relaxing to wake up every morning and sit outside our room and watch the waves and sunrise. The rooms are a tad small and for the high cost of the room I was a little dissapointed. However, that was my only bad note. Other than that, the room was nice, the bed was comfortable, there was a lot of storage to put our clothes in, the room was very clean and bug free!

The grounds of the hotel were wonderful and beautiful. At first when I was the beach chairs on the grass I was surprised but then after the first day I understood why. Your feet are full of sand and the grass helps get it off - smart! One thing I wish was that we had a waiter come around to take our order for drinks. I hated to keep coming up in my bathingsuit to the bar - I felt uncomfortable. The only time someone did was on Saturday - but they should have people come all the time.
I also disliked the fact that they kept putting the drinks we drank on the beach chairs in to - go cups. You pay $6-10 for drinks and at the bar its a bigger glass but when you get them to go they are literally half the size and I kept noticing that the bartender just threw out the left over. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT! I AM PAYING FOR THE DRINK! He should have given me the left overs in another cup them. This really annoyed me.

But overall the grounds are seriously beautiful and compared to other hotels it is the most cleanned and nicest. I would def stay here again.

I just think they should fix a few tiny little issues that's all.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Having booked a four centre holiday to Costa Rica I was dismayed to read some bad reviews of this hotel concerning,rooms with small windows, stained bed-linen and bathrooms with just a tap.Combined with examples of drug-dealers waiting on the beach outside the hotel I anticipated needing to change where I and a friend would be staying.
The hotel was great, a lovely room with large windows,an excellent breakfast, this too had been criticised.
The extensive grounds with plenty of sunbeds was separated from the beach by a low wall and the only sellers we.experienced were friendly girls selling necklaces.
The hotel extended to the other side of the road so those who wanted a quiet time away from the beach were catered for by the many swimming pools, again in lovely grounds.
As a mature traveller who has visited many countries I will remember this hotel as one of the most pleasant I have stayed

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank gypsyfeetCardiff
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Diria was really great. The rooms were nice and spacious. You do need to leave your AC on all day in order for it to stay cool in your room but I think that is pretty typical in Central America. The shower could have had better water pressure but again - not bad. The food was delicious, the pools (don't miss the two pools across the street) and drinks were fun. The beach was well groomed and there was always plenty of seating. Get your beach towel early - they did run out. And sadly, the swim-up bar was never open. The location is amazing and the staff was extremely helpful. We booked a snorkeling/sunset cruise and ATV/ziplining tour through them and both were super fun.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamarindo
Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas
Jardin del Eden boutique hotel
Cala Luna Luxury Boutique Hotel & Villas
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel
Tamarindo Bay Boutique Hotel
JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria? Share your experiences!