“Good stay, great location on the beach and to the town”

Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed from 01 Dec - 03 Dec and first impression were good. Nice resort, with accommodation split by the main road. Check in was relatively trouble free, albeit took quite some time as it appears they were understaffed. Proclaimed as a 4 star place, and for the most part that the case with the surroundings, beach front access, main building and attached restaurants great. Rooms more 3 star, quite basic, with no fridge, iron, hairdryer, but thats about it. Only 5-10 mins walk to restaurants in the town and sub 5 mins to plenty of surf shops.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

stayed from 12/10-12/19 money was taken out of our room,at end of our stay money was returned by resort after running video tape.Booked threw book it was told romantic dinner for two and bottle of wine, resort was unaware.They made good for that also.While lounging in grass area of resort to avoid annoying hecklers, we spotted a snake, which they had to call someone to remove it and was told it was venomous!!! I would never stay there again even though they made good for what was stolen.Room had no refrigerator,iron.......and put us outside construction area with cement mixer at 6 am

1  Thank Debra V
Reviewed December 18, 2013

This is review of the Diria property itself, but not on the hotel. Diria is made up of a large hotel next to beach and has a couple condominium buildings next to it. We stayed in the "new" building of the condo.

Location:
Heart of Tamarindo, next to beach, convenient to everything. If you want to be in the heart of the action, you can't be any closer, yet there is security and walls surrounding providing some quiet and safety. We were able to walk everywhere and rarely had to use our car.

Rating: 5 stars

Property Amenities:
Multiple really nice swimming pools. The pool next to our condo building was really beautiful with waterfalls, lagoons, walk bridge, nice lighting and a swim up bar. Our kids loved spending time there every day playing in the pool. Allowing them to order a fruit shake smoothie turned out to be a big motivational technique we employed. As part of being part of Diria, we had access to the hotel as well. The restaurant next to the beach was pretty solid and we at there a couple times. The concierge wasn't too helpful and was only trying to book a trip for you. The entry into the condo part required a security badge. Entry into the hotel area had a security guard.

Rating: 4.5 stars

The Condo Room:
We stayed in the "newer" building in a 2 bedroom rented through a property manager. Large room and very well appointed with a large deck overlooking the pool. The interior of the newer is definitely nicer than the original building (and more expensive too). There was a couple minor maintenance issues, but overall, the building and unit itself was pretty nice.

Rating: 5 stars

Service:
Really one of the worst service I've ever gotten at a hotel anywhere in the world for a decent hotel. This has been referenced in other Tripadvisor writeups, but it's hard to know if the writer is just unreasonable or if it's the hotel. The receceptionist that we had was absolutely horrible. She didn't smile or acknowledge. She failed to give us a security card to get around the property; when I went back, she didn't apologize and just turned away to get the card. When I asked for a 2nd card for my wife, she was annoyed. The service at the restaurant also was unfriendly. They made a mistake on one of the meals. No big deal, but again, no apologies and actually gave snarky response when they came back with some missing ingrediants. The only good service we got was from the swim up bartender. Even when I asked concierge a simple question on directions, he didn't help me.

Rating: 2 stars

Other:
One last item that was a huge annoyance was that you are required to WEAR A WRISTBAND DURING YOUR ENTIRE STAY. We stayed for 6 days and it took me 3 days before I finally got used to it. I hated having it on my wrist even when it was time to sleep. Didn't bother a couple of my family, but did also bother my son. I understand why it's necessary for security purposes. But I'm just wondering if there is another system they can employ. I hated walking around town in it too allowing everyone to know where I was staying. This bothered me so much that it also negatively affected my stay. It may not bother many/most people, but it did me and some others we met.

OVERALL RATING: 3 stars (nice property, great location, but downgraded due to poor service overall)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TravelBugged33
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Tamarindo Diria is a very nice Resort located right on the beach. They provide a very good breakfast buffet, rooms are clean, and the staff is very friendly. Tamarindo is a small beach town with some very good restaurants, along with the basic tourist shops. Everything is within walking distance from the Resort, and can take you only about 30-45 minutes to walk the entire town.
I would definitely recommend it as a vacation location!

Room Tip: I had a room on the beachside (there are other rooms across the road with a separate pool). Although...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2013

The hotel was nice overall. The room was pretty good but the shower pressure in the room could have been stronger. There was no fridge in the room. The breakfast was great each day. The gym is awesome! A few treadmills, ellipticals, and two great upright bikes. There was a leg press, hamstring curl, pulley system, squat wrack and free weights. The hotel is right on the beach but there is a second part of the resort that is across the street where our room was. The pools are nice overall (pools are actually larger and nicer on the side away from the beach). There are lots of places nearby to eat at and no concerns about walking at night. There is a great place that is a 5 minute walk away from the hotel called Backwash that is a laundry facility that will wash and dry your clothes for you for $3 colons per kilo. A lot cheaper than what the hotel offers.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed at Tamarindo Diria for 4 nights and loved the resort. We had ocean view rooms which I think is a must at this resort. The rooms were very nice and the beach is SO CLOSE!! The location is very central in Tamarindo. We were very well taken care of by Cesar Aguero at the reception who helped us on several occasions. Most of the staff was great and very accomodating. I actually hurt my foot in the pool (the last set of steps are not very visible) and they were able to call a doctor for me (but they were sure to point out that they would not be responsible for my injury which was kinda unnecessary at the time) One of the waiters from the restaurant was very helpful and brought us ice. He even checked up on us the following day. I wish I had asked for his name.

On the negative side, the breakfast was just OK. The bartenders were not very friendly. They should have more help during happy hour as it takes forever to get your bill so you can leave. And this is why I'm rating it as "very good" and not "excellent".

Reviewed December 16, 2013

My husband and I chose the Diria as our wedding resort and stayed here for nine nights from the end of November to early December. We had roughly 50 guests for our event, most of whom stayed at the resort. I booked the resort for our wedding day, Saturday, Nov. 30 over a year in advance because I'm paranoid like that, and I began working with the resort's wedding planner Eunice in October 2012. She was very responsive and attentive throughout the whole process, and put my mind at ease. Planning a destination wedding made me very nervous at first... I had never set foot in Costa Rica and didn't know anything about the country, the people, or resorts. It can be a terrifying experience. I started second-guessing everything, whether this Tamarindo actually existed, what if the Diria isn't real??? Brides-to-be, you can relax. Apparently Tamarindo is a pretty popular wedding destination and even made it onto an episode of HGTV's House Hounters International, which I saw days before I was leaving for my wedding. LOL. Also, while not all the little details were perfect, our wedding day turned out to be a fantastic celebration that everyone, from what I have heard, enjoyed and had a blast at. They only do one wedding per day, so yours will have everyone's focus on the day of. Never fear, Eunice and the staff at the Diria will take care of you and your special day, and will do everything in their power to make it just how you want it. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any specific questions. :)

As for the resort, overall the staff was very friendly, and the facilities very good (the pools are great!). December marks the start of the high season, and I have heard it gets insanely busy. The end of November was a nice time to be there as there aren't that many tourists just yet. I just had a few bones to pick about the resort itself:

1) One iron and one steamer? I believe there is only one iron and one steamer on the resort's premises for guest use, which I think is a bit crazy considering how many weddings it hosts. Not only will the wedding party need to iron/steam their stuff, but I'm sure guests will too! Most hotels I know of have an iron/ironing board in each guest room, and if they don't, they at least have multiple available.

2) Upkeep of our honeymoon suite: There are a few points of complaint here. a) My fiance and I endured a freezing cold shower the night we arrived because we stood there waiting for 10 minutes for hot water to come on and it never did. Well, we called the front desk to ask them what gives, and a gentleman came up to take a look. Turns out the temperature gauge thing on the wall was completely loose and was incorrectly placed around the handle. Uhm... should probably be glued down securely? b) The drain in the bathroom sink drained SO SLOWLY... we asked them to fix it and I'm not sure if they did. We just sucked it up for the nine nights we were there, but annoying nonetheless. c) There was noticeable water damage on the ceilng and wall from water seeping from the A/C unit in the room, which at least worked. The last few days we were in the room it started rattling because the cover of the unit was loose, and thankfully someone came and relieved us of the noise. Still, I would think upkeep of the honeymoon suite would be a bit better given the importance of its namesake. d) The honeymoon suite was a little smaller than I would have thought it to be. Still it was clean and relatively comfortable for our stay. We were hardly in the room anyway, save to sleep and shower.

3) Wi-Fi is pretty spotty, except for right in the main lobby and in that vicinity. But it is free and the resort is huge. If they can find a way to improve the signal to cover the majority of the resort, I'm sure that would make guests super happy.

Overall, my friends, family, and I all had a great time at the Diria. It's right in the heart of Tamarindo, which is filled with tons of things to do (surfing, ATVing, ziplining, boat rides, fishing, etc.) friendly people (maybe a little too pushy selling stuff, but we all gotta make a living, right?), and excellent food. The rates are affordable, and the facilities are great. If you're planning to do a destination wedding and don't want to do it at an all-inclusive resort in the middle of nowhere, the Diria is a fantastic choice. I couldn't be happier with the way my wedding day unfolded, and I feel it was money well spent. Thanks to everyone at the Diria who made it possible, especially you Eunice! You're the best!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank onetruvoice
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamarindo
Jardin del Eden boutique hotel
Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas
Cala Luna Luxury Boutique Hotel & Villas
Tamarindo Bay Boutique Hotel
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel
Occidental Tamarindo
Occidental Tamarindo
#1 of 1 in Playa Langosta

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria? Share your experiences!