2,970 results
All reviews beach side tour desk swim up bar family pool adult pool costa rica ocean view breakfast buffet grassy area lagoon pool in town waffle station beachfront room third floor beach resort destination wedding large pool
Selected filters
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I'll start with the good. The hotel is the only hotel located on the beach in Tamarindo. That was really what sold me and reading some of the reviews on here. We were pleasantly surprised when we showed up, the grounds are beautiful; something I didn't expect. We got to the room and we immediately liked it. We got one that overlooked the family pool, which also had a gorgeous view. The brunch was really good, and we had 1 decent dinner that we paid for at the hotel out of 2.

Other Pros:
Comfy bed and pillows
Decent sized room and nice big shower.
A/C blows really cold and cools down quick (when it works)
Pool Bar
Pools
Beach
View of sunset

Now the not so great. We went to the bar 3 different nights for happy hour. Each time we went, the wait got longer for drinks. The 1st night we went we were one of 2-3 couples at the bar. There were 2 bar tenders working and we got help after about 5 min. By the 3rd time the wait was up to 20 min, with 3 bar tenders and a full bar. But trust me when I say this, the bar isn't big. 2 bar tenders can handle that size easily. My recommendation? Get your own alcohol for the beach/hotel room or pool or sit at the tables out by the beach and order drinks that way. Also there are plenty of places to go drink in town. The service, in my experience, was a lot better at the tables. Fun exception was the pool bar that we got served at quickly each time. Best Mai Tai was from there.

Next. One of the days we decided on a restaurant to go to for dinner. We walked to the concierge and asked them to call the restaurant for us. He told us to walk to the restaurant ourselves as it was close enough to the hotel. I couldn't believe what I heard. I've never been told by someone I am employing to hit the bricks. Customer service 3 out of 10 at this point.

Now the shady part... One of the days we had gone on a day tour and, through conversation during the trip back to the hotel, our guide promised me that he would bring cigars for me to smoke. I was looking for a cigar shop in town and hadn't seen anything at the time. The following day he calls our room and I answer the phone. He said the cigars were down in the lobby for me. 2 hours later I head down there and no one has any idea where they are. I never got them, even after asking different people on separate shifts if they'd seen them. For this reason alone I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

More cons:
A/C went out the last night we were there
Power goes out just about every night
People trying to sell you crap all over the beach and on the street
Water alternates from hot to cold and doesn't stop at one temperature. ever.
Not very friendly staff overall. A few exceptions here and there though.
Horrible massages. They text while massaging you and leave their vibrating phone on the table while massaging. Definitely not trained in any way.
Town is VERY touristy, far more so than I would have ever expected.

All in all, I would recommend another hotel in or near Tamarindo. If you have to stay at the only beach hotel in town, don't expect much in the way of customer service, don't trust the employees to receive anything for you and eat and drink else where.

Date of stay: November 2013
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Great location but the hotel rooms look quite run down if you observe carefully. The woodwork is quite bad and the bathroom is so small that it is a struggle to take a bath. Quite a few restaurants around the hotel belong to the hotel itself. For the money that they charge, the quantity of food is very small. The travel desk at the hotel can be more helpful. The ocean facing rooms have a great view of the Pacific Ocean. Room Service is a real struggle if you don't speak Spanish. Breakfast spread is one of the best that we have seen in Costa Rica.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Pretty much the only game in town, so I'm guessing that's way everyone stays here. I had really good service in La Fortuna, so that even made this place look worse. But a simple holiday inn express in the U.S.A puts this place to shame. Many Problems to list;

1. Service at the bar was horrible and they weren't even busy. It took 10 mins to place and order and 5 minutes just to get the bartender to acknowledge your presence. Same was true with the waiters. Most of the employees seemed unhappy to be at work/have a job
2. The shower was coming out of the wall (see attached photo) and the ability to control the shower water temp was crappy.
3. On vacation, I like to sleep in a little bit, get some rest on vacation, ya know? Well I got woken up at 6:45 AM to the sound of a power washer (see attached photo) power washing a 60 yard by 40 yard driveway. That couldn't have waited till 9:30 AM or something? I found that very inconsiderate.
4. The outside hot tub by the pool was the same temp as the pool. I reported that it wasn't working and they said it has been the same temperature as the pool for a while now. That was pretty much the end of it. So basically, it's been broke for months and they don't care enough to fix it. I guess the hot tub / jacuzzi on the brochure means something else to them than it does to me?
5. The lay down chairs on the beach are not free, they are owned by a third party and there's a charge for laying in them per day. The hotel can't afford to buy some chairs for the beach?
6. They allowed people (locals) to just bug all the tourists to buy cheap crap. Made it almost impossible to relax. In 10 minutes at one point we had 9 different people come try to see us necklaces, cigars, bowls, and other crap. It felt like you were in Tijuana.
7. The pool view rooms are on the other side of the street. They neglected to tell us that part. It's not a long walk or anything, but still would have been nice to know.
8. They charge you 20 dollars to book a tour for you which only involves making a single phone call. Save yourself 20 dollars and just make the phone call yourself.
9. No refrigerators in the room, not sure if that's an option for other rooms or not.

I would go stay in Playa Flamingo (about 15 minutes away or so). The hotels looked more upscale.

The pros of this place would be they had the most comfortable bed of everywhere we stayed and the AC kept the room cool. Oh and they had 3 english channels on the TV lol.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

We spent 10 nights at the Diria. We stayed in the Garden section with the adult only pool. This section was wonderfully quiet. It was nice to have the option to hang out at the ocean side then move to our quiet nest across the street. Cesar and his team at the front desk were incredibly friendly and helpful. Rolando and his team of tour organizers and guides were awesome! Juan, a guide, was incredible in stopping and pointing out howler monkeys, birds, tons of plants and other animals. He was so much fun! I can't say enough about the rest of the friendly helpful staff. The only reason I have given this a 4 is that I feel the sales people right outside the beach entrance of the hotel could have controlled a little better and pushed back so you did not feel attacked as you walked onto the beach. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We spent 6 nights here at the end of our tour of Costa Rica. Arriving on Black Friday did not give the best impression as it was extremely busy, but quietened down after a few days. Rooms were good - we were on the ground floor overlooking the beach. Restaurant was good as were the extensive buffet breakfasts. If you like being in the centre of all the action, this is the best place to stay. The pools and grounds on the beach side of the road are always busy, but the gardens and pools over the road were almost deserted - beautiful. My only criticism would be the front desk staff who seemed disinterested and unhelpful on arrival, and the omelette ladies need to spend more time concentrating on what they are supposed to be doing rather than chatting. The rest of the staff were ok, but maybe as this was a large resort they felt less committed to providing that typical Costa Rican level of service we have found throughout the country. Tamarindo did remind me of Koh Samui in many ways but the beach is far more interesting. We saw ospreys catching fish up one end, while crocodiles basked on the banks of the estuary at the other. Dozens of restaurants to choose from on your doorstep too.