“Luxury in the heart of Tamarindo”

Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Incline Village, Nevada
“Luxury in the heart of Tamarindo”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This hotel near the center of Tam and within walking distance of everything, from Witch's Rock Surf Club to almost Playa Langosta. It's a little pricy by local standards, and wait service in the restaurant is abysmal; for example, one night I went down to have dinner and was politely told by the waiter to sit anywhere I'd like. Some 10+ mins later no one said a word to me. No offer of water, no drink order, no menu....no eye contact! They had 3 waiters and a bus person on staff and had only two tables with 3 people each to serve, so it's not like they were busy. The next night I asked about ice machines, was then told that they no longer have them but they'd be happy to bring me some from the bar (I was near the bar and offered to walk over but they insisted). 2 hours later I gave up on having ice.

Room Tip: There are a variety of room locations. Unless you're on a very tight budget, avoid the "po...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mes227

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
Atlanta
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Beautiful place, very nice breakfast. Good value. I spent an extra $20 for an ocean view and it was amazing. Lots of security and friendly people. This place is centrally located and you can walk to both ends of Tamarindo in 15 minutes each way.

Only negative is weak internet.

Room Tip: Awesome AC. It was 95 out and I had the room at 68. The best restaurant is Seasons. It is a $4 ta...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My wife and I had our wedding here earlier this month. I had heard great things about Tamarindo on my previous trip to Costa Rica in 04' so we decided on this as our location.

We anticipated some challenges trying to coordinate all of the details for the wedding, mainly through email, but our wedding planner made the process very very easy and did a full walk through with us immediately when we arrived. We had private shuttle transfers to and from the Liberia airport which made it easy on our party of 24 people to all travel together. We had our ceremony down on the beach and it could not have worked out any better. The reception was up by the main pool area at the Diria with our own secluded covered area with private bar and bathrooms. Every detail from the bouquets to the meal at the reception was perfect.

The hotel looked to be the best option in Tamarindo if you are looking to stay on the beach. They require wrist bands and keep the property very secure for the guests. The A/C was cold and the staff was friendly. Many day or half day tours are able to be booked through the Diria as well. The only room for improvement would be the hot water in the shower, it was either very hot or very cold. Probably could have been fixed if we complained but it wasnt anything that bothered us that much to have it changed. There were also refrigerators in our room so you can buy food/beer at the local markets and stock up your room.

Room Tip: Go with Ocean View Premium, 3rd floor
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband & I were traveling with an escorted tour group. We stayed at this hotel for two nights(Oct. 27 & 28th, 2013). We were surprised when we found that our room was an ocean view room. (normally, tour groups don't get these rooms). It was a spacious, beautiful room. It had 2 double beds. A little disappointed that we didn't have a king sized bed. But I did enjoy having a whole bed to myself, I must admit. We had a balcony with 2 chairs & a table. We sat out on the balcony and watched the sunset. It was so relaxing. The hotel has several pools. Two pools are in front of the beach. There is another building across the street from the main hotel that is a hotel property. The pool on the other side of the street, which you are able to use is gorgeous! It is a free form pool. It is beautifully landscaped all around with palm trees, tropical plants & flowers & waterfalls. Lounge chairs under thatched-hut umbrellas. Simply gorgeous! ( In peak season there is a swim up bar.) There are also jacuzzi tubs.

The restaurants are great. For breakfast, there is a buffet offering everything from eggs to rice & beans. My favorite dish were the fried plantains. The fresh fruit was delicious- pineapples, mangos, papaya, & fruits that I've never seen before but were delicious as well. For dinner, there is a restaurant where you are seated outside, facing the beach. There are hanging, suspended lights ( you can't see the wires they hang from, makes them look like globes of light floating in the air). Candlelight too. It is a very beautiful and romantic setting. If it's raining, there is a covered dining area, a little further back. But the atmosphere is still the same. The food is great. The service was excellent and the prices were reasonable.

We also used the hotel's Tour Desk services. We wanted to go horseback riding (our escorted tour group did not offer any opportunity to do that). We contacted the Tour Desk via e-mail before we arrived in Costa Rica. They arranged everything for us. I highly recommend this hotel. I would go back there in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Get an Ocean view with balcony. It's worth it!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 815alyceg
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Can't wait to come back there try Louis lemon drops at the bar and casino also known as LLD's special my message was a dream come true. I wish I could leave right now and go back. After seeing this beautiful country I wish we had another week to explore more sights.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank gunshop1
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 3, 2013

When I first arrived, I was first put off by staff. But they actually were very friendly and accomadating to our needs. The hotel was situated in the center of the town. It was close and walking distance to almost everything in the area. The pool closest to the beach was very clean and large enough for others. however, it is in the center of the hotel lobby, restaurant and beach.

What was great about this hotel is that it was literally right on the beach, with just a quick walk you were on the beach. Also, I found the hotel to be very secure and safe. They made sure that whoever enters the resort is actually staying at the resort, others are strictly not allowed in.
The daily buffet was quite impressingly great, fresh fruit, bread, eggs, they had an omelette bar--it was just great!

Bars, restaurants and shops were literally at your reach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank janelle d
Keswick Ontario
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed at the Tamirindo Diria for 10 days in mid October 2013. Was not quite sure what to expect as I had read some great and not so great reviews on this property. From check in to check out the staff at the Diria went out of there way to make our first visit to Costa Rica memorable. The staff was always attentive and accomadating with any issue that was encountered. The hotel has a few cracks in spots but during our visit there were crews making general repairs in hallways and around the pool. Breakfast buffet was good and plentifull with variety everyday. Only had a few appetizers at the bar. All in all an excellent stay at an exceptional hotel.

Room Tip: If it very humid set the A/C to "dry"
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple