“Very Nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Austin, Texas
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

Right on the beach! A great place for families. I recommend it highly.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

We stayed at the Tamarindo Diria in March of 2008. The Hotel is beautiful, book an ocean front room. There are some hotels were you can get away with street/garden views, but this hotel is right off the street, so the ocean view doesn't have the street noise. We booked our vacation through Worry Free Vacations (based out of Minneapolis) who deals directly with TAM Tours. We were involved in a car accident in route to a TAM tour (TAM driver). To make a long story short, we spent the rest of our vacation super sore from the accident, and were more angered when the tour reps showed up two days after the accident and insisted on taking us to the doctor. We weren't even refunded for the tour that we went on after the accident, despite our shock and discomfort. I would not recommend booking tours through TAM. There are a lot more tours available, and if you book at the Tamarindo Diria, you don't even have to leave the hotel.

• Liked — The sunsets, beach and breakfast!
  • Disliked — TAM Tours
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2008

My boyfriend and I decided to end our 9-day Costa Rica adventure in Tamarindo for a little relaxation on the beach. We opted to stay at the Diria, despite reading quite a few negative reviews, because we booked our stay late and there weren't many other options available.

When we arrived, they upgraded our room to an Ocean View, which was great! The room was very clean. It had 2 double beds, a little balcony area and a breathtaking view. The shower was great, we didn't have any trouble with hot water like other reviews mentioned. The room had a little fridge, a TV, fresh linens etc...

We enjoyed the complimentary buffet breakfast every morning (great fresh fruit, pastries, eggs, gallo pinto etc...). Dinner at the hotel was not the best--we tried their restaurant once and didn't return again.

We walked around town our first day, but weren't impressed--to be honest, there's just not much there aside from a few bland commercial type stores. The restaurants in town aren't all bad, we had a few decent meals, but nothing to write home about.

I will mention that the MOSQUITOES were out of control. We got eaten alive the first night we ate outdoors without bug spray. After that, we covered ourselves in it. We also had to spend 30 minutes each night "hunting" the mosquitoes that found their way into our room before bed.

All in all, I probably wouldn't return to Tamarindo again....but if you have to go, the Diria isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

• Liked — Clean, nice sized rooms, great view
  • Disliked — the town of Tamarindo
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

This is a gorgeous hotel. It has a lovely holiday atmosphere. It oozes relaxation and elegance. The minute I stepped in I felt so glad that I had booked it.
The rooms are vibrant and cheerful in a very tasteful way. I loved the large mosaic shower. The bed was huge. There were fresh flowers in the room, huge mirrors, a well stocked mini bar and plenty of lights. The only downside was the television, it was rather small and the reception was very bad, I called someone to fix it, two guys fiddled aimlessly for over an hour, with no success, so I sent them away.
The gardens and pool are beautiful I love the way you can sunbathe in the gardens overlooking the beach, so you get to watch the ocean and the people without dealing with vendors and sand.
It is a delight to sit in the bar at night with all the twinkling garden lights and the sound of the ocean. The bartenders are very professional and polite, and the drinks are lovely and good value, I expected them to be more expensive.
I visited the bar while staying at another, cheaper hotel. I was so impressed I decided to stay here on my last night as a treat. It was certainly worth it. I booked on expedia and got it for $120 including tax. I think it is $134 if you walk in off the street.
I wish I had paid the extra money for a garden view room. My room looked out onto the street (Subway, what a view) so It didn't feel private with the curtains open as people could have seen in. The gardens are so lovely it would have been nice to have had a balcony or terrace to sit and appreciate them from. Also I was put in a non-smoking room (they didn't ask me, but maybe all rooms are non-smoking) so It would have been great to have had a terrace/balcony to smoke on.
It was a lovely hotel, but one small improvement would have been room service. I would have expected them to have it in such a nice hotel. I was travelling alone and didn't fancy going to the restaurant for dinner. I would have loved to have ordered a meal to my room, but there was no menu in the room.
I liked the mix of people at the hotel. There were all different ages staying there. I found the staff helpful and polite.

• Liked — the beautiful gardens
  • Disliked — no room service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Kent, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2008

Tamarindo Diria was a fabulous place. Nice, clean and right on the beach! We had a sunset view room on the second level with views of the beach, water and beautiful trees. Be careful as they also have a part of the hotel across the street which has a very nice pool with swim up bar, but is not on the beach if that is what you prefer. Food was excellent. Staff very helpful. Many excursions that you can set up! My husband took surfing lessons right out if front of our room! This is a high class place, a bit more expensive but I think worth it. Right in town. Kind of touristy though, but we didn't mind at all. Definitely would recommend.

• Liked — Proximity to Beach
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2008

The negative!!!!!

My partner and I stayed at the Diria for a wedding a few weeks ago. Upon arrival we cheerfully greeted the front desk staff who barely glanced up, we asked them a couple of questions and they grunted some answers - all in all were very rude! We were then brought to our room by one of the front desk staff who showed it to us, he put his hand out for a tip ( we just arrived and had no small change) apologised and he grunted and walked off in a huff! So very bad start but lets get to the postitive!!

The positive!!!

The concierage, a guy who is there in the mornings and has his own desk is absolutely lovely, my partner broke an electric shaver while we were there, so we asked him what we should do, and he gave us directions to a mall wiht a list of different shops where we could go to buy a new one - so it is just the front staff who are rude!

Our room was located on the beautiful garden right next to the most breathtaking beach, we had a patio adjacent to the garden whihc had chairs and a table and was lovely to sit out with a cocktail and take in the magnificent costa rican sun sets. (Tip - ask for a garden room, as some of our party had ones near the pool and they are not as nice)

The room itself was nice, large, and most importantly extrmely cool and air conditioned. The bathroom had loads of room and had a large shower area with a powerful refreshing shower and some nice shower gels,shampoos etc. We also had a mini bar in the room with beers, water, and snacks which were very reasonably priced.

The best thing about the diria was the breakfast in the morning. It is honestly the best breakfast i ever had in a hotel, and everyone of the wedding party who came from all parts of the globe agreed! Unlimited supplies of fresh pineapple, mango, melon, cantelope etc. An array of hot dishes american(varieties of eggs, bacon, pancakes, tomatos) and costa rican delicacies (rice and bean dishes, other egg and tomato dishes, fried bananna), delicious breads and pastries, juices and of course fab costa rican coffee.

The diria is right on the beach and in the center of the tamarinda so the location is fab too. I really liked the Diria and thought the rooms were lovely, the hotel itself was great and the location was perfect, they jsut need to get new front staff! But regardless of the staff I would definitely return to the lovely Diria.

• Liked — Location, nice rooms, fab breakfast!
  • Disliked — front desk staff
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MarshaC
del mar, ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2008

Spent 3 nights during semester break.
Good: location can't be beat.
Bad: room 115 was tiny, room only for king bed, small desk with drawers for clothes, adequate closet, small bathroom with only enough counter space for one toilet kit, cheesey amenities. No sitting chair in room, and no room for sitting chair. And would you believe a beach-front hotel doesn't provide a hook or line to hang a wet bathing suit?
Ugly: indifferent staff.
I would stay somewhere else next time.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Tiny room, unfriendly staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family