“Not the way to end a vacation”

Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 10, 2013

In a word - DISAPPOINTING! No attention to detail, rude bartenders, inattentive wait staff, careless room service, average food, and HOW DOES A BEACH RESORT RUN OUT OF TOWELS - TWICE??? And I wouldn't wash a picnic table with those towels. They ended up using bath towels for the beach. No wonder a couple only gets two bath towels TOTAL. Note to management - even Motel 6 gives you complementary coffee!! I was told that since we requested a king size bed, EVEN THOUGH WE REQUESTED A PREMIUM ROOM, we were given a lower level room because there are no premium rooms with king beds!! The large pool across the street at the newer section had a swim-up bar, which was closed all day!! Never mind that the pool did not look terribly inviting anyway. At a hotel with a total of 450 rooms, there is ONE computer for guests to use - with NO printer! Try printing your boarding passes!! I had to save the file, go to the front desk, find someone who had some inkling of computerize, have the file transferred, and then finally printed at the front desk. When we were leaving, we were SO aggravated that I refused to call for a bellhop (it only took 4 calls to get extra pillows, which turned out to be small throw pillows without covers) so we lugged the luggage ourselves. Fortunately we had a ground floor room with a patio and a beautiful view of the ocean - about the only positive of the entire stay. When we got to the front desk to check out there was nobody there, and several people milling about waiting. I had to go to the supplies room to get someone to take care of us.I wasn't sure if they had merged all of our records, since we had to change rooms due to a leaking ceiling, clogged sink and non-working lamp. Needless to say we will not be going back to this hotel - EVER!

Room Tip: My best advice - find another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,532)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We actually stayed in the condos across the street from the Diria. The condo pool was much more impressive than the ones located on the Diria resort. It was the off season so the swim up tiki bar and restaurant were not open and there was a small section of staduim seating to watch performances. Once again, not utilized during our stay but I imagine it would be a pleasant experience. The Diria iteself was much smaller and closer to the main road than I would have expected, but it was clean and the staff was pleasant. Very nice ocean view and beach. If you want to sit on the beach in one of the umbrella chairs, it will cost you $12 for a daily rental. The beach seating is not part of the Diria, so we sat in the grass which is a part of the resort and I acutually liked arrangement much better. The local pan-handling gets very annoying and unrelenting at times so the barrier between was welcome. We didn't eat much there but what we did get was very good. We got a meat pita dish and some ceviche, both were very good. The nachoes we not special and can be done better almost anywhere. The drinks were good and nicely priced compared to many of the establishments in the town. The service at the bar was a little slow but nothing you can't get used to. There are many restaurants associated with the resort so there are choices if you tend to stay and eat at the resort. The prices for the food were pricey for me at the affiliated restaurants but it is a touristy town. The activities desk was helpful and had plenty of excursions. All in all we enjoyed ourselves and would go back. I would recommend staying on the condo sides though, better pool, more relaxing, and away from the distractions.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The hotel itself is actually quite nice. It offers a nice swimming pool with beautiful surrounding gardens and the rooms are quite luxurious. Therefore, I can't really fault the hotel itself. The only problem I had with the rooms was the lack of privacy. The balcony allows you to look into your neighbors' rooms and the bathroom window makes it possible for tall people in the hallway to peek into the shower.

My issues are more with the staff. The guy who checked us in was incompetent and rude. Whenever you go to the front desk, you always seem to witness an incident involving upset hotel guests and hotel employees who can't seem to handle the simplest problems. Even though there is only one person ahead of you, it always seems to take too long before it's your turn. The front desk always has two or three employees, but only one of them seems to be working. Furthermore, they're not very organized. My friend hands in his credit card. The girl leaves it lying around and another girls sees it and immediately assumes that it's been lost. So, just as she wants to hand it over to the concierge, we intervene and tell her that it hasn't actually been lost, but that her colleague left it lying around. I don't know about you, but that seems highly unprofessional to me. The cleaning lady was probably the worst of all. You ask her for an extra sheet on the bed - she ignores your request. You ask her for an extra towel - she claims she's out of towels. You ask her to come back a bit later - she's too busy. So, I had to call up the front desk for an extra towel - nothing. You call again - they keep you waiting again and eventually bring you six towels.

It's a pity this hotel is run by a bunch of incompetent and arrogant people. But it kind of stands for the entire country of Costa Rica: Spectacular place with zero infrastructure!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel was a little less than expected since we had come from a very small hotel where the service seemed to have been better. We arrived but could not get into our room since it was not prepared. We were there 30 minutes after room check in. We went and had some lunch and then went in. The room was relatively small and the bathroom was really small BUT the view was divine so there ya go. There is no elevator so if you're on the third floor just be advised. When we went back down to get towels to head to the beach, they were out of towels. We were told to come back in 30 minutes. An hour later, still no towels at which point I sort of gave a pained look and reception went to find a couple of towels. The breakfast which is included was awesome and the grounds are beautiful. You can go in the water at this beach and can pay for surf lessons. But be aware that the surfer guys start drinking early to mid afternoon. So just be forewarned. You may not want them taking you or your kids out. The town itself is a really hippy town and don't expect much good shopping. It's mostly souvenirs made in China! lol Overall the hotel was fine and the views incredible!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet section if that is what you want since it can get a little noisy especially near the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vicky D
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Diria. The pools were really nice, breakfast was delicious & free. Our room was decent but on the first floor facing the beach, which made for awesome views and quick access to the pool & beach. As for customer service, once you get over the fact that your not no special, take a deep breath and remind yourself that your not at the Ritz, you'll be ok.

Room Tip: First floor rooms have quick access to beach, pool & great views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Upon check-in we werevtold that we would need to store our bags because our room was not ready yet? As I stood at the reception desk with Fatima and Marcia, I noticed that a whole line of other unhappy customers were also waiting for their rooms. M medication was in my bag that I was asked to check and when I asked for the bag back, the desk staff stood there until We gave them more cash for the same bags. The room was still not ready at 2:20pm and the staff tried to take our bags back again to store. Did they plan to give us a room today at all? Check-in time is supposed to be 2pm but we had arranged an early check-in at 12:30pm. I understand tha the hotel may not be able to provide an early check-in at the last minute but after the check-in time, I started to feel annoyed. It is now 2:33pm and we arrived a our room (a different room than we were origionally promised) which has bugs crawling all over the floor and mold stains covering the ceiling. For the same price, this is a definite downgrade from the amazing Hotel Nayara in Arenal. Pass on ths place.

Room Tip: Room 115 has bugs
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I am still relishing wonderful memories of the excellent breakfasts from 7-10 by the water. The service was slow, but very good. The staff's super gentility & wonderful disposition was much appreciated. Everyone is so willing to help you out.
Ohhh and the glorious sunsets! Surreal! Worth the price of dinner by the ocean!
I hope to return to Diria in the near future. Moreover, the grounds are impeccable and the guards would tell me if I left my tote bag on lounge chair, which was not in view of the cameras. I felt totally safe here!
I , myself, found the temp much too hot. However, got used to it after 2 -3 days by taking naps between 12-2 pm and drinking lots of water & lots of 40 sunscreen! Do not go to Tamarindo to shop. Extremely expensive! I totally enjoyed the rain forest& the sea turtles laying eggs under a starry night! Simply magnificent. I regret not taking the catamaran at sunset!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the ocean view! Worth every penny!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank sunday25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamarindo
Jardin del Eden boutique hotel
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel
Occidental Tamarindo
Occidental Tamarindo
#1 of 1 in Playa Langosta

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria? Share your experiences!