“Just lovely resort.”

Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The property is beautiful, our room #624 was across the street from the beach and of this we were happy as it was much quieter as it is farther from the clubs/beach. Our room was large, modern and well appointed. Very clean, good water pressure and lighting (only 1 of 2 hotels we visited that actually had adequate lighting !). Our balcony had a wonderful view on the beautiful pool surrounded by luxuriant vegetation - just lovely. We loved everything about our room. The buffet breakfast was one of the best we had on our tour with a large variety of everything and lots of great tasting choices. Not crazy about the beach itself as there are lots of rocks in the sea (not quite sure how the surfers don't bang into these...but then again I know next to nothing about surfing). I love the ocean but I found that the water was not clear (due to sand particles) and the waves were a bit rough for my liking as I'm the snorkeling, floating around doing nothing type of swimmer. Beach is not very large and is full of surfers, dogs and their owners and a few souvenir hawkers some of which were a little irritating. In my opinion a way cool place if you're in your late teens, 20's and want to surf & meet other young people. I'm a little sedate and like my peace & quiet so although I loved this hotel, the Tamarindo Beach area is just really not my style. But I would definitely recommend this hotel if the area and activity type is what you are looking for.

Room Tip: From what others have mentioned, seems there are differences in the room qualities. If you don'...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank souriz
Tamarindo D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Tamarindo Diria, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you for your comment, we work hard to give an special place and service to every one of our guests. Once again thank you for taking the time to share your experience at hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,535)

Reviewed April 1, 2013

As sanmo said they miss the mark..we had a trainee at check in - no big deal. Our room was not ready - we went to eat and came back they had it ready by that time. (sunset view 1st floor -beachfront) Beautiful room- This hotel OWNS the town. So almost guarantee any place you go will be Diria owned. The very next morning 2 dead roaches (palmettos) in the room we were cleaning up when I see another one out of the corner of my eye at the head of our bed walking up the wall with eggs. We immediately goto the desk - ask to speak with the manager and he is "not available" they change our room to a smaller sunset view room on the 3rd floor (walk up) and we never get to speak to the manager. Hours later when we come back to the room there is a letter in a folder with a voucher for a meal (seafood not included) but appetizers and dessert per person is allowed. If I felt there was a cleanliness issue in the room what makes you think I want a meal in your restaurant? At the breakfast buffet the waffle station handed my husband his waffle with their hand...so it had a glove but I am in healthcare and in the time I was at breakfast I saw them leave and return wearing the same gloves?
The breakfast buffet was ok- nothing spectacular same food every day. The omelet station was fair not good or great and I had to ask for water at the table and that took time to get. As in many places in Costa Rica they tack on surcharges you believe is service charge going to your waiter (lunch/dinner) and it goes to the property to divide amongst ALL the restaurant staff not given to your waiter.
Beach clean - lots of surfers not too bad on solicitors...not for swimmers mainly waders.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eva930
Tamarindo D, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Tamarindo Diria, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear guest,
I totally understand your subject and would like to apologize in the name of the hotel about that!
Even though this issue is reasonable and logical, I would like to point out the last point ouf our information-letter you would find in your room which says "Remember the nature provided us with some tropical insects and animals, please do not be worried ... This is a regualr zone to find those. ... "
We have our rooms constantly sputtering with insect-spray. But, unfortunately you could never be 100% certain that no insects or the like sneak in e.g. while the maid lets the door open during cleaning, or for ventilation etc. The bad thing about those animals is that they produced themselves (eggs) pretty fast. As some guests leave food outside (and the rooms are also located in an open facility) it is somehow difficult to control that... Not trying to take down the situation, but I would like to clarify that this issue has nothing to do with the hygiene or sanitation of the resort. In fact, we have an inspesctor who checks every room after the maid is done with it.
So, We wanted to express our compassion and above all our understanding with a meal voucher, it was therefore not regarded offensive.
Additionally, I have spoken to the head of the F & B (food & beverage department) and have them explain me how they prepare the waffles: on one hand they have a fork, on the other they put on a glove. In the kitchen, the staff usually put over another glove, that is what the guest might not notice. However, if he starts to cut fruit or likely in the kitchen, One has the impression that the gloves are dirty and/or old. But that is not the case!
Again, in the name of our hotel, I want to apologize for your bad impression. Our intention is to make all our guests feel uniquely satisfied...

D. Vidal (concierge)

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Our family of four stayed at the Diria for 7 days and unfortunately we were in the Tropicana room. Which if I understand they are the newer rooms. With that said they are so small!! There are only three drawers, very little closet space, no refrigerator, there is a stool but no where to sit because your luggage takes up all the room!! The beds were horribly uncomfortable, my daughter said her sides hurt because the bed was so hard. My kids are twelve and fourteen where do they they think your clothes are going to go, unfortunately ours never left the suit case which left everything a mess. The toilets do not flush well and the shower barely has any water pressure which made getting the sand out of long hair nearly impossible. The property is beautiful, the pools fantastic and clean(restroom facilities were extremely clean). The breakfast was great each morning with a large variety of food. We would stay again but never in the Tropicana rooms. The condominiums looked nice and I was told they were much larger.

Room Tip: do not stay in the Tropicana rooms they are small and across the street from the beach!
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Really good experience overall. Good views with location on beach front. Great options for breakfast(included in the cost). It was served buffet style, so easy for my wife to find vegetarian options (along with the abundant gallo pinto). Tour desk was helpful, although we felt the tours were a bit overpriced (although that is to be expected). Within walking distance of main areas of Tamarindo. The restaurant The Flying Bull, which is part of the resort, was pretty good. Only downside is obligatory wearing of wrist band all the time to enter and exit easily. Otherwise, though, it was a good experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Overall, we found the Hotel Tamarindo Diria to be a good place to stay. We traveled as 2 adults with our two teen-age daughters. We stayed in a second floor ocean view room with two double beds. The room was rather small but that was not a bother as we didn't spend much time in the room. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony in the mornings and evenings. We found the breakfast buffet to be quite adequate with a nice variety. Yes, the wi-fi connection was hit-or-miss but I have Comcast at home so couldn't really tell much difference. Yes, some of the staff can seem somewhat indifferent but I attributed that more to language barrier and tourist season fatigue rather than apathy or insensitivity. No, not all of the staff speak great English. But I speak pitifully little Spanish and I signed up for Costa Rica, not San Diego. I didn't like wearing the hotel wrist band but did notice the security personnel always made a discrete glance to notice if we were wearing them when we entered the property from the beach or the street. Our room was consistently thoroughly cleaned and done so early in the day. Overall, we would stay here again without hesitation.

2  Thank GuzzoBazinko
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was our first trip to Costa Rica. The Tamarindo Diria Hotel was a very good choice. We had an ocean view premium room. After a busy day, beach walking, swimming, shopping ...we would pour ourselves a cocktail and sit on our balcony and enjoy the wonderful view. I found the staff very friendly and helpful. The pool across the street was a nice afternoon treat. If you can find a lounge chair to sit in! Speaking about lounge chairs... these ones were very hard and uncomfortable. They definitely need some kind of mats on them. The ones facing the ocean were better. The ocean was easier to swim in during the morning hours. A wind would spring up in the afternoon making the water great for the surfers. The beach was beautiful. I warn any people who aren't comfortable around dogs to be aware that everyone runs their dogs, off leash on the beach. All in all , it was a wonderful experience.
We went the end of Feb. Weather was great!

Room Tip: Ocean view is the best. I liked the 2nd floor middle of the bldg.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Certainly the best choice in Tamarindo. My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Beautiful grounds, rooms and attentive staff. The property is trying so hard to be 1st class but does miss the mark in areas.
Check-in was smooth although strangely time-consuming. It took over 35 minutes. Our rooms were available at check-in although we were early 1:30. (We got lucky as we saw others that had to wait)
We had 2 rooms and they put us in separate buildings. After insisting, they finally put us in same building.
Wrist bands for the property are such a weird deal---kinda like being underage in some sorta nightclub.
Breakfast buffet is slightly above average, but service is outstanding.
Wifi is inconsistent but at least not a separate charge.
Issued one beach towel per person...Weird but it does stop people from saving lounge chairs all day. If you don't return the towel there is a $20 charge.
I have traveled quite a bit---Beach vendors are not aggressive nor a problem.
Overall, we enjoyed and recommend---It's on the beach---But it does miss the mark as noted above.

2  Thank SanMo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamarindo
Jardin del Eden boutique hotel
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel
Occidental Tamarindo
Occidental Tamarindo
#1 of 1 in Playa Langosta

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria? Share your experiences!