“An OK stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boulder, Colorado
“An OK stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We ended an incredible 2 week Guanacaste vacation with one night in Tamarindo at the Diria. When we arrived our ocean view premium room was not ready so we went for late lunch. At 2pm and again at 2:30 it still was not. We were given a free drink at the bar while we waited. I didn't find the staff all that helpful and given our one night stay it did affect our perception of the hotel. Not a big deal but the Internet pass code also did not work. We were told someone would be up to our room to straighten it out in a few minutes but they never did arrive (although it was working the next morning). The room was nice and clean and the views very nice. Seems like a good spot for families although on a Saturday night you won't sleep early with the music across the street.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ClaireInBoulder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
Cumbria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We recently done a tour with "Travel Excellence" who were what it said on the tin, when we got to our final destination we were supposed to be staying at the Calla Luna but unfortunately between our UK tour operator and Calla Luna no booking was made. Anyway "Travel Excellence stepped in and helped us get room at the Tamarindo Diria. The receptionist was more than helpful and made us feel really welcome. This hotel is a very busy hotel and caters extremely well for the numbers. I could not find fault with the food, the cleanliness, the bars, pools etc. The only thing I would have liked was a slighlt upgraded bathroom very small -there was no hairdryer in the room but I rang reception and one was sent up within minutes. The area in which this hotel is very nice beach on one side shops ad bars on the other. All in all a very nice four days spent here. I can't thank them enough.

Room Tip: I think the rooms across the road are quieter but perhaps not as comfortable
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DorothyCumbria
Orangevale, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Diria Hotel spreads across a street. The original hotel is on the beach. The rooms are small and quaint, but right there on the beach. Across the street is the newer more modern and new hotels and condos. Each place has their own pool, with the non-beach hotel having a beautiful swim pool with a swim up bar. COOL! As a patron, you are allowed to use both places. There are some very strict "guards" out front which is good to keep non paying people away.

Room Tip: The older rooms on the beach remind me of Santa Cruz, CA and their "olden days". Small, b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kimee70
East Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I absolutely love staying at the Diria. The staff is excellent and very attentive. I've read some people call the Diria "sterile." And if you're looking for rustic, maybe it is. But if you're looking for a lovely room (even their "bottom of the line" room is great), friendly staff, in a safe environment, the Diria has it all.

The location is right on the beach. You can watch the sun set and walk 50 yards back to your room. I found the breakfast buffet to be great. You can eat light or a little heavier, depending on what you prefer. Anytime I need anything, all I have to do is ask. Everyone at the front desk and even the tower counter are very friendly. I recommend staying at the Diria when in Tamarindo! They also have a desk to book tours, surf lessons, whatever you want. There is plenty of security around too. I feel safe there, so safe that I have stayed there twice and plan to return again soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Angela S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

The Diria is in an excellent location, its location is in the town and it opens up to the beach. There are beautiful gardens, great views and pool. The staff are pleasant and it is very relaxing. There are a mixture of ages and different countries which makes it appealing for everyone. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank TamaraBarnard
Mpls
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

We recommend the sunset oceanview premium rooms, it is really worth the price. They have a refrigerator so you can go to the supermarket and keep the beers cold. The rooms are clean and the view is breath taking. The food at the breakfast buffet is OK, not great although they do have good fruits and an excellent waffle station. We also recommend the Pura Adventura zip line. They have 11 lines and the longest is 600 meter. If you have not zip-lined, it's a must. From the Tamarindo, walk on the beach to the right, you will find local boat that will take you for a 2-3 hr mangrove tour to see wild life for a lot cheaper than the tour package. We paid $50 for 4, we saw lots of birds, crockodile, and monkeys

Room Tip: Sunset Premium Ocean View is worth the extra cost
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Inlook
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was our second stay at the Tamarindo Diria, and we will return. From check-in to check-out we had a great stay. The staff at the front desk was very helpful. We had an ocean view room on the third floor with two queen beds. I believe all the king size beds are on the first floor. Each stay I found the beds to be a bit hard for me, my husband thought they were okay. The rooms are large and cleaned daily. Sitting on the balcony to enjoy the sunsets was a must, it is so beautiful.

The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast with plentiful assortments of pastries, fruit, an omelet station, a waffle station, pancakes and a variety of hot items that change each day. We always chose to sit out on the deck area by the beach, it was rather warm at the inside tables even though it is not totally enclosed.

The beach area changes with the tides and it is amazing to see all of the rock formations when the tide is out! We always sat on the grassy area of the hotel and tried to find some shade. There are plenty of chairs but you should find some fairly early as people do set up for the day. For a change we would sometimes go to the hotel property across the street where there is a beautiful pool and swim up pool bar.

My husband and I surf and there are many shops to rent boards for $10 a day. I had my first lesson in Tamarindo 3 years ago, it is a great place to learn. For better surfers you will need to go to a couple different beaches where the waves are better.

The village has a large variety of restaurants and you can eat at a different one every day for lunch and dinner and not be disappointed. The local people are very friendly, and yes, they do try to sell you their wares. The fresh coconuts are a treat!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone from newlyweds to families. And I would always choose to stay on the beach side.

Room Tip: There are not any elevators so if you don't want to go up and down alot of stairs I would recomm...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple