“Pleasant 2-night stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Pleasant 2-night stay”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The main section of this resort is located directly on the beach with a newer section just across the street. We stayed in the newer section, which had modern amenities and a lovely balcony. If you sat on the balcony at dusk, you could watch the bats flying amongst the palm trees catching their supper.

This section had its own quiet pool area with loungers available in the sun or shade. It would be great if they invested in some pads for the loungers as the hard plastic was not comfortable after a short time sitting.

The dining room is open air and in the beachside section. The food was good. The beach is nice and affords a lovely sunset view. There are vendors who work the beach, but they are not aggressive.

The resort is located in town, so there are several restaurants and shops that are nearby, including a convenience store where you can pick up drinks and snacks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank slburns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I have been to both the resort and recently rented a condo across the street. The pool in front of the condos is fabulous with a swim up bar. I have always found the staff (with one exception) to be very helpful and courteous. When we first went there several years ago the food and service were very good . Unfortunately, I have found that to be no longer true. The food is so-so and the service is just not good. I cant imagine who set up the bar and restaurant and expected it to be efficient. It takes forever to get a drink at the bar and the dining area. The food is on a scale of one to ten....five. Security is good, and the amenities are also excellent.

Stayed February 2013
6 Thank Kevin B C
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Great great location but the service was horrible from the maids not leaving towels in the room to the bar by the ocean having the worst service we've seen. 3 in 4 trips to the bar were painful and had issues ordering a drink! The pool facing rooms have two double beds which is fairly normal for CR but annoying. The room had areas where the plaster was touched up but not painted. Oh and the breakfasts were great. Not a little continental like in the states but full on buffet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cdngrly
York. PA
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at the Taminrano Diria Beach and Golf Resort. We were there with a tour group so our reservations were pre-arranged. Our room was on the second floor across the road from the main complex. First the room. The room was very attractive. Although the front entrance overlooked a parking lot, the small veranda looked out on a well landscaped and attractive garden and swimming pool. The bathroom was attractive but lacked sufficient lighting. There were two sinks with mirrors but there was no light above one of the sinks and a dim light above the other. My wife complained that she did not have sufficient lighting to put on her make-up. There were no wash clothes supplied. There was a “small” cake of soap at the vanity and one in the shower with a note that this soap should be used because it was biodegradable. We had to use soap we had brought with us because we could not even get lather with the soap supplied. Taking into consideration that this is a beach resort I tried to over look the grime on the floor. After reporting the lack of wash clothes at the desk we finally got one wash cloth. We did get the other in time for our shower the second day. The main complex was beautiful, worthy of being called a resort. We had to cross a busy road to get to the main complex. There was staff out front at the road partly to assist persons crossing the road from the rooms across the road and to make sure we were wearing the wrist band we were issued and required to wear during our stay. The main complex was very attractive. There was a medium sized swimming pool next to the dining area. There were lounges located in the complex around the pool and overlooking the ocean. We walked onto the beach through a pathway controlled by security. The beach was nice. If one walked onto the beach there were several businesses and restaurants one could access. We had dinner at the restaurant at the resort. Our menu was limited since it was paid from the tour fee. I had steak which was a little firm but was delicious. My wife had chicken which was marinated. I liked my steak better. We ate breakfast there two mornings. It was a typical breakfast buffet with delicious fresh pineapples, mangos, etc. When we received our room cards we were also given a ticket for a towel and a password for in room wifi. We turned in the ticket for a towel and when we turned in the towel we got the ticket back. If we lost the towel we paid twenty-dollars. The wifi was hit and miss. Sometimes we had a signal and sometimes we did not. We used wifi to talk to our family on “facetime”. During our conversation we had to be reconnected several times.
My wife and I went for a walk in the evening and never felt insecure although the street was really crowded with persons enjoying the evening.
To sum up our stay, in my opinion, with what I described in my evaluation, there were no “real” problems but if I wanted to stay at a resort I would look around. I do not know what it costs for a week’s stay there since we were with a tour but my wife and I had traveled to Jamaica and found our experience there more pleasant and relaxing as long as we stayed on the complex.

Room Tip: If one wishes to be there for the view and beauty of the resort, make sure you get rooms on the main...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank drs1231
Sarasota
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Like many things here there is a great effort expended to try and match the expectations of tourists from first world countries. There is a great deal of effort expended in putting a beautiful face on this aging complex--the grounds were beautiful. We were on a tour and housed in a circular complex across the street from the main buildings. There was no elevator and climbing stairs was a bit difficult for some of the members of the tour. The door to our room was not secure and light came in from openings all around the door. My wife was unable to get out of the room and had to enlist the aid of others in the tour to get the door open (I was unavailable due to a last-minute fishing trip). The pressure of the shower was so low that it took quite a while to get bathed properly.

Room Tip: Try to be located on the beach side of the complex.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Planète Terre
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great setting, nice beach for surfing and running. Great activities around town. The rooms are clean and it's quiet at night most of the time.

However, there are drug deals right by the beach gate and the security guards don't do anything about it. The service at the front desk varies a lot in quality, from very courteous with a smile to very rude à la "don't give a *:(*". Some of the bell boys have been most helpful; much more than the people at the front desk.

The food is good. We loved the breakfasts. Dinner is good, but perhaps on the expensive side for what you get.

Shop around town before booking something at the activity desk, you'll get a better deal most of the time. Estuary tours are great and they can be booked right at the river mouth.
Pura Vida!

Room Tip: The ocean view is very good. Pool side is OK too.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CapitainePlanete
SF Bay Area
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Diria in Tamarindo for a week and had a wonderfully relaxing time.

The climate and surroundings in Tamarindo were a bit of a surprise to this Costa Rica first-timer. It was hot during the day, warm at night, but not humid, and it is definitely not jungle. If you are looking for jungle canopy, you will be disappointed. We were there to relax and help celebrate our step-daughter's 40th birthday, and I'd say we were delighted to be somewhere with a relatively dry, temperate climate. I loved spending every minute in either a swimsuit or shorts.

The Diria encompasses an area on both sides of the main street in the town of Tamarindo. The older part, right on the beach, has a smallish pool, reception, the tour desk, the bar, the restaurant and lodging. The newer part across the street has more guest rooms, plus condos, surrounding two pools, each of which has a swim-up bar. The pools are very different from each other. One is a rectangle surrounded by a lot of open space, great for laps and sunning, very little shade except some nice shaded seating at the bar. The second pool, which we used extensively, has a more jungle/shaded/tiki vibe with thatch covering both the bar and seating areas dotted around the pool. We found that Maria, who works the bar at what we called the tiki pool, made margaritas more to our taste than anyone - so we dubbed them Margaritas de Maria. "Me gustaria una mas Margarita de Maria, por favor." :-)

We stayed on the ground floor in the new area, between the two pools, in room 476, and that turned out to be the perfect location for us. Our room was a suite with an open living and kitchen area and large bedroom. At the back of our suite, running the width of the bedroom and living area, was floor to ceiling glass with wide sliders. Outside the doors was a patio running the width of our suite, and beyond that a small private grassy area. The two air conditioning units kept us perfectly cool during the day and at night. The building is well constructed and although there were folks above us, we never heard a thing. We had a natural alarm clock, resident howler monkeys, that woke us up between 6:15 and 6:30 about half of the mornings we were there. We didn't mind at all! It was awesome, and one morning we were up and out quickly enough to watch at least a half dozen of them make their way through the trees right outside our room, moving from tree to tree. Snagging breakfast for themselves from one big tree as they went, they made their way, finally establishing themselves in the big tree by the gate to laze away the day. We saw them in that tree several days.

Our bedroom had two large beds, I think a king and a queen. The bathroom had the toilet and a large modern marble shower with a good shower head. Right outside that was the sink area. Our space was roomy. Our step-daughter had a smaller space but she was very happy with it. She was on the second floor with a balcony.

Service was very good. The staff was friendly and professional. The breakfast, which is included and I'm sure has been written about by others, was terrific. The first night we ate dinner at the restaurant on the beach, and it was very good. My only complaint is that the little hut that provides towels for the beach and pool is closed for at least an hour and a half during the middle of the day, which I think is unnecessary. Grumpy Karen (me) brought a room towel to the pool one day because my beach towel was way too sandy from the beach to be useful.

While staying at the hotel we dined out at several restaurants, all of which were excellent (we relied on TripAdvisor, check reviews), and we took the sunset cruise and had a fantastic time. We are both very busy professionals and were there, as I said, chiefly to relax, so the experience on the cruise was great. I highly recommend the sailing catamaran Hibiscus and its captain, Judd - you can book the cruise through the hotel. We also went for deep tissue massage at a small spa associated with the hotel and had very competent service there. Every day we took a walk south along the beach after breakfast, which helped curb the effect of the margaritas a little! Every night we walked to a different restaurant for dinner - what a pleasure to be outside in the warm nights.

This was our first time in Costa Rica and we were very happy. We are already talking about a return trip, next time spending a half week at Arenal and then right back up to Tamarindo for some down time.

Room Tip: I'm told rooms in the old part of the hotel, directly on the beach, can be quite a bit noisier a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family