“Honeymoon exceeded all my expectations!”

Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Manhattan, New York, United States
“Honeymoon exceeded all my expectations!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I usually don't review stuff I have to pay for, but these guys deserve a huge 5-star rating. This resort, although it is listed as a golf resort, does not have any golfing in sight. What it does have is a huge beach with sand that is perfect to walk on. The staff is great too. Rolando and the tour guide/sales staff were wonderful at helping me and my wife pick out some local tours. One particularly sea turtle tour came up with nothing, so the tour guide (Mike) offered to let us come on the next one for free as long as others were going. We did and came away with a great experience. The estuary tours were amazing, the snorkeling was spectacular...a little cloudy at times but it was like diving into an aquarium...there were colorful fish everywhere. The food was terrific too, and the location was within walking distance of at least another dozen restaurants. The breakfast buffet was on the high end of standard, with an abundance of fresh fruit every morning. Even though we went in the "green"season (meaning rainy), this was no reason to be deterred from visiting this time of year (end of September).
One thing I would caution: the vendors in town like to play games with the exchange rate. Bring American money AND colones (CR currency). I made the mistake of converting all my $ into colones and they converted it back into dollars at .5, when it should have been .492. But that was completely separate from the resort. Diria was amazing and I hope to return there again!

Room Tip: there is no fitness center...that was a drag
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cpbride

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was our first time in Costa Rica and it was a great experience! The staff (Dixie) and the wonderful gentleman in the breakfast buffet who made the waffles (so sorry I never got his name), as well as Sergio in the restaurant were lovely, genuine and delivered first class service.

Our only complaint was the absolutely obnoxious noise Saturday night (10/6) when a beach party (not the hotel's) caused us hours of sleeplessness.if the hotel can do anything about this type of activity, it would make this place perfect.

Room Tip: Ocean view on the second or third floor. First floor are lovely and beach access, but we had raccoon...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Essex, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We traveled in September 2012 for a week. I knew it was off season but I didn't expect it to be so quiet. So worth knowing if you like quiet and relaxing, off season is great; if you like others around try another time of the year.
It being quiet it was clear how much staff they had. Someone was always cleaning, sweeping, asking you if you needed anything. In a nice way though, never in an annoying way.
The rooms were nice, had super cold AC which was a bonus on certain muggy days. Also one of the best beds I've slept on while traveling, so that was really great.
The grounds were lovely, allowing you to hang on the grass overlooking the beach if you had too much sun or tons of beachfront well maintained. Lots of pools too, kiddie pooled turned out perfect depth to sit in with a drink :)
Breakfasts were quite a spread and excellent.
Other Americans I met who had been in Costa Rica before said it was the nicest hotel they have seen in CR and the cleanest - they were extremely impressed.
As for the town, it was a bit of a surprise, a bit more of a surfer/beach bum town than I had read about. Not in a bad unfriendly way, I just realized real quick there wasn't much to the town (just past the hotel the road turns to dirt and rocks) just not a town to explore and see sights.
In the end we were there to fish and relax and the Diria was the perfect hub for all that, and all food was in walking distance when we wanted to wander out. (We had looked at some higher end boutique hotel types but didn't want to be as remote and we were glad at the decision)
We caught a huge mahi mahi and brought it back to the hotel, they asked lots of questions and planned a whole dinner around it for us. It was AMAZING. They did a superb job. Impressive.
Cost - the hotel I thought was an inexpensive stay in a relative way; a great value. Food and drink though you can expect to pay overpriced drinks and food like in any vacation destination.

Room Tip: We had 1st floor beach view, nice for pre dinner relaxing and walking right out to see sunset each n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kristina C
Florence, Italy
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is a place where the pictures match the experience! Absolutely beautiful and I visited in August of 2011 and it was not overcrowded whatsoever. I highly recommend this hotel, it was so clean and what I like to call---luxurious. It had an element of romance without being too stuffy!

Room Tip: Go for the beach front room, it is well worth it. You walk outside onto your patio and are steps awa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danee C
Boca de Nosara, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Diria is everything you could hope for and more. Location is perfect, central Tamarindo on the beach, extremely spacious and well tended grounds, peaceful, beautiful design, excellent service with very friendly and accommodating staff. Rooms are super clean, quiet, spacious and most overlook the beautiful free form pools. The hotel's restaurant is of high quality and there is a wide selection to choose from, includes free Breakfast! So, for the price it is a very good value.

Room Tip: Pool or Beachside ~ extended stay in the Apartments ~ New Villas under construction across the road...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Florida
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I travelled with my family of 7 for a week long stay in Tamarindo. My party included 3 kids, myself, my husband and his parents. The Diria was everything we had hoped for and more. The hotel was beautiful, provided excellent service and the staff are very friendly. We stayed in the tropical poolside rooms and they are clean, spacious and overlook the beautiful free form pool that my kids lived in for the week. Since Tamarindo is a tourist destination the local area restaurants are very pricey for what you get. For this reason, I highly recommend the hotel restaurant. The food is better quality and there is a wide selection to choose from. So for the price it is a great value. Also, the free breakfast is fantastic. It is served buffet style and there is a lot of variety, wonderful fresh fruit, and an omelet and waffle bar every morning. The location is perfect because you are central to everything and we felt comfortable walking the main strip and checking out all of the shops in the area. If you're looking for beachfront in Tamarindo this is the only place I would choose. Tamarindo Beach is beautiful, a great place to take the kids swimming and boogie boarding. Just be prepared, that once you step on the beach you will be asked to purchase things from many of the local vendors. If you are not interested a polite "no" goes a long way and you won't be bothered. This was a fantastic trip for my family and when I stay in Tamarindo again it will be at the Diria.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Amanda F
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Last week we made the trek to Tamarindo to run a race. The tour put us up in the Tamarindo Diria which is in the middle of a small surfing village. It is not easy to get to the western coast of Costa Rica from the US but the trip was worth it. The hotel was wonderful. Staff was pleasant and helpful, the free breakfast was more than ample with delicious Costa Rican food. We had a room facing the beach. It was quite large, nicely appointed with a balcony and a view to die for. Other reviewers had recommended staying across the street on the pool side but I can't see giving up the view. The marathon started in front of the hotel at 5 AM Saturday morning so the music started at 4 AM and the after party went to all hours of the morning. It was a wonderful festival. The noise might have been a problem for those not running but the rooms were still quieter than most and the race is only one weekend a year. We had a surfing lesson, took a boat up the beach for a few hours to see lots of tropical birds, crocodiles, and howler monkeys, all very reasonable. We would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Isabel H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamarindo
Jardin del Eden boutique hotel
Hotel Capitan Suizo
Hotel Capitan Suizo
#3 of 22 in Tamarindo
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria? Share your experiences!