“Good location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Good location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

This is a fairly nice hotel with nice grounds. We stayed in the units across the street which seemed newer then the one on the beach side. Our room was a good size with a large bathroom and patio area facing the pool.

Issues: I went to the front desk to inform them that I had left my room key in the room (I lost it swimming in the pool) and I needed a replacement. I told them the room number and without hesitation they made me a new key. They should have confirmed who I am and if that was my room before handing out a new key.

If you are swimming in the ocean in front of the resort you should be careful during high tide since there are many rocks that are hidden beneath the water.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
Boulder
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

Two years in a row now at Easter. What a great place. It was even better this time, brand new fridge in the room. Third floor Sunset Ocean View room featured the most gorgeous sunsets ever. Beautiful lighting in the garden during the evenings, all these soft glowing twinkles of light strung through the trees. Booked a package with RT air from Denver (thru Miami) + 9 nights and RT transfers for 3 people w breakfast for $4,200 through Orbiz and it was a total steal, I mean this place is right on the beach! At Easter break! No other property in the area can touch this location so don't be fooled. I really don't know how people can complain about wifi and such, come on, it's a beach resort, you are supposed to enjoy nature and go surfing. Unplug already!

Room Tip: third floor Sunset Ocean View is worth the extra $$
Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JKHittinTheRoad
Douglas, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed at the Tamarindo Diria. We had an "okay" stay, considering we had to switch rooms twice. Problems such as, the toilet backed up and got water all over the bathroom and hotel room floor, and there was no water in the other one. We told the staff that morning about the toilet, and when we returned that night, the problem had not been fixed, so we switched rooms. Our new room had no water at all. So they put us on the first floor, beach side. Other than that, we didn't have any problems. I thought the staff was nice.
We spent most of our time exploring Tamarindo, rock climbing, repelling, white-water tubing, horseback riding (in the rain, nonetheless), and driving jeeps in the jungle.
The buffet each morning at the Diria was pretty good. My favorite was the fried plantains.
There was a general discontent about the Diria, when speaking to locals in Tamarindo.
The beach was in a position where two rivers entered the ocean, so the water was sandy, brown and "churned." It wasn't very pretty.
Tamarindo was a laid back "slacker" kind of town. On numerous occasions as we walked down the street in town or down the beach, we were approached by people asking us if we wanted to buy weed. If we did that sort of thing, I suppose I would have been in heaven.
Anyway, traveling anywhere out of your normal life you will run into things you're not used to, and things don't always go perfectly, and most often won't. We still had a wonderful time.
I had no expectations, so I wasn't let down. We managed to have fun and take in the experience.

Room Tip: First floor, beach-front. Definitely.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jilli15
glen mills
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

The Tamarindo Diria is a great location, right on the beach in the center of town. We had a room right on the beach with an excellent view. The property is nice and it is easy to find a chair. The staff however is not so great. They were not unfriendly per se but I always felt like they acted like they were doing me a huge favor. It was very difficult to get any information about the town except what was being offered right at the hotel.

Room Tip: There are two properties, right across the street from each other (we didn't know this when we b...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 60sansone
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

I just looked at the photos of this place. I see they have paved the street. When we were there all of the streets were dirt and the town was just a handful of restaurants and shops. We loved it and are thinking about coming back.

Room Tip: See if you can book reservations that include breakfast. They put on a great spread or in off seaso...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Aliso Viejo, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

To be fair my Fiance and I really enjoyed the view with our beach front room. The crowd was an average age of 60 and we felt like we were in Maui, tourist 101, some of the patrons even had badges with their names on them, YUK. The all inclusive buffet breakfast was honestly the worst we experienced in the 10 days in Costa Rica.
Here is the topper to this place ,after spending 200.00 for one night in the room and checking out the next day. We wanted to spend time at the beach so I could get my fiance a surf lesson (dont get them at this resort, go to witches rock surf shop .75 miles back up the road, they also have EXCELLENT food at their adjoining restaurant and they have sleeping accommodations as well). We asked the Tamarindo Diria if we should put our baggage in the car which has security and they said no keep it in our baggage room. Well even after tipping the man who took our 3 bags someone still stole my Contour video camera and all my extra batteries, case and memory cards totaling 1000.00 US dollars. The hotel has chosen to not respond to my claims and at this point its not the money its the video that was lost because of this and the lack of consideration on their managements part that makes me upset. We had such a great time in Costa Rica (I got engaged so that was super exciting) and this place and Tamarindo in general was the worst place we stayed at.

Room Tip: dont stay here
Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Jon H
West Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

We arrived here and found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. We asked to change rooms from a double bed to a single bed and they were able to help us without any problem. We enjoyed our third floor room, which was all the way at the end, which gave us some privacy out on the balcony which was awesome! it was nice to see the beach from our room, the AC worked great, the bed was comfy, and the TVs were nice. The bathroom was a bit small and on the darker side; since we were on the end and were the custodial staff kept their equipment, it was a bit loud in the mornings as they were coming in an out. The pool was nice (didn't stay open late which was a shame). They had adequate amounts of chairs on the grass on the property, but if you sat on the white chairs on the beach, some guy came up and told us we had to pay $20/hr to use those ones which was just ridiculous. Its unfortunate that the hotel could not have the chairs out on the beach, but on the grass it was ok. Some Iguanas on the grounds which were neat. The beach was awesome, the waves were huge, and it was overall a great location.

Room Tip: top floor at the end for the balcony
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple