“Best Hotel in Tamarindo”

Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Columbus, OH
“Best Hotel in Tamarindo”
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights during our honeymoon. The ocean side room was beautiful with an incredible view, king sized bed and close proximity to the ocean and restaurant. The staff were all friendly, smiling and willing to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. It was obvious that they were happy working for this hotel.
Check in was a breeze, buffet breakfasts were a nice combination of local and American foods, the selection was eye-popping.
This half of the hotel is on the ocean. There is another 1/2 across the street with a swim up bar (Jose makes the BEST margaritas) and plenty of lounge area. The entire property is very nicely landscaped and employees work very hard to keep the beach and grounds looking their best.
Comparing this hotel to the rest that we saw in Tamarindo, this is by far the best.
Thank you so much to Jose at the front desk, who made our stay so welcoming.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We arived in Libera at 1:00 and were at the hotel by 3,the hotel sent a driver for 80 dollars. Nice van, nice guy . When we arrived we we're pleasantly surprised at how nice the resort was, they up graded u to ocean view room. The room was not huge but very clean and just steps from the beach . We really lived the fact that everything was so close at this resort pool, beach, restaurants,shopping, gym,surfing . We got a all inclusive package for food and drink,great deal and food was awesome. We really just stayed in Tamarindo and at resort, met very nice people and just relaxed.But only because we wanted to there is lots to do.

• Stayed February 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Went to Costa Rica to visit my daughter who works in San Jose. I asked her to find a place on a beach that she thought her brother (21) and I would both enjoy. The Tamarindo Diria Resort was her suggestion. She had attended a party there and knew I wanted a nice clean place with a nice beach and view. I was more than happy with her choice. The sand, the service, the ocean-view rooms, the unbelievable sunsets straight out from the resort, the great breakfasts, the swim-up bar, no bugs, lots of great restaurants within a five minute walk on the beach, great service, very clean rooms. A very guest oriented spot. When I got my final bill, which included food and bar too, I thought they had forgotten some things, it really was lower than I imagined. To go from Montana to that paradise in March was fantastic. I have been home about 10 days and I can't get the place out of my mind. It was exactly what I was looking for!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Young crowd. Great beach, Surfers and babes everywhere. The nightlife is inches away on a street with spot after spot.
The staff was friendsly, but the service int he beachfront restaurant was painfully slow. Thank goodness that the view from it was enough to want me to stay there for the rest of the day.
The beach front rooms in the renovated section were very nice indeed. The bathroom area was basic, but the beds were very comfortable, nice sheets, AC worked well. Quiet rooms. The grounds were really well taken care of.
It took about an hour to walf the beach from one end to the other.
I would come here with a group of fun friends looking to go out every night.

Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed March 21, 2011

The Hotel Tamarindo Diria is ideally located on a long, beautiful stretch of golden sand beach. A variety of restaurants and shops are within walking distance, great for travelers like ourselves who enjoy exploring and trying out different places to eat. (Try Nibbana, Nogui's, Gil's Place, and The Dragonfly.) Jaime Peligro's bookstore, near the Super 2001 grocery, is also worth a visit. Friendly owner, originally from California, will answer questions about the local area and make suggestions. Ask at the Diria front desk for a helpful map of Tamarindo that lists many restaurants and also has a table of high and low tides.

We had a sunset view room on the third floor, and the view was spectacular. The room was showing signs of age, and there were some maintenance issues that couldn't be easily fixed. We were graciously offered a different room which we accepted. A plate of beautifully arranged fresh fruit was delivered to our room along with a letter of apology for the inconvenience. Very nice! Both rooms were in the older section of the hotel, and the bathrooms were tiny. The other wing of sunset view rooms (on the north end) appeared newer, with the bathroom sink separate from the rest of the bathroom. We asked to move to this wing, but all the rooms were full. On another stay, I would request the newer wing. I believe the rooms across the street are newer still, and that pool is larger and more attractive, but we enjoyed being right on the beach.

Our room was cleaned promptly each day, but towel replacement was erratic. (Sometimes we'd get one washcloth, sometimes none, our bathmat would disappear and not be replaced, etc.) Speaking of towels, I would like to suggest that a separate booth for beach towels near the pool area would be much more convenient than having to stand in line for them at the front desk. Just a thought.

If you have any room concerns or other issues, talk to Judy Rusconi at Guest Services. She's wonderful, warm and friendly, and will do whatever she can to help you.

Note: There are no elevators in the sunset view buildings, which could be a concern if you have mobility issues. However, the bell staff promptly delivered our luggage for us, and we didn't mind the stairs.

I was surprised to read other reviewers' comments about staff being unfriendly or unresponsive. Our experience was quite the opposite. I think the staff is doing the best they can with an aging facility, and it's important to be respectful to them, as always when traveling.

The breakfast buffet (included with our room) was generous and satisfying. Lots of delicious fresh fruit, made-to order omelettes and waffles, and many other hot and cold choices, including coffee and juice. We never had to wait in line for food or a table.

In summary, The Tamarindo Diria is a 3-star hotel, so it isn't fair to expect it to be a 4-star. There is no coffee maker in the room, no tissue dispenser (but you do get a pocket pack of Kleenex!) There is a safe box, which was appreciated, and the free wi-fi worked just fine in our room. We felt that the location and beautiful beach outweighed any shortcomings. We would stay here again.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Wonderful hotel. GREAT for planning for your family or for a group. Especially if you are from the US they were very easy to work with and the communication was great. I had to plan a lot of activities and book several rooms. Normally it is hard to book group trips outside of the US because of language barriers and not as many methods of communication. Eunice Torelli was the representative who helped me with EVERYTHING, she was great and was always my main pointof contact so I wasn't being passed off to several different people etc.. She was extremely helpful and went above and beyond to help accommodate the group and complete all of my requests promptly and with a great attitude.
Great place to stay, great rooms, great view, great people and atmosphere!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Marysville, Wa
Reviewed March 20, 2011

This is probably one of the nicest hotel in Tamarindo, which isn't really hard to do since the town is pretty much one street.
Pros - Perfect location on the beach. Right in the middile of town. Pools were amazing and there were always lounge chairs available. Free wifi in the reception and one of the pool areas. Staff was friendly, especially Luis from the restaurant. Every morning he greeted us with a smile. Although the employees at the tour desk weren't very helpful. The free morning breakfast buffet was very good. The howler monkeys in the trees by the larger pools were fun to listen to and watch.
Cons - Half of the hotel is across the street with rooms that overlook the better of the two pools. Some of these rooms also face the south side which is next to another hotel that has live music playing until 3am. If felt like the band was right outside our door so my ear plugs were my saving grace. Also, if you have a traveller that can't walk very well, it is quite a trek from the reception area to these rooms. I had asked to be moved because my dad was having problems walking all this way but they were fully booked and couldn't move us. If you have an iPhone, they have to set up the wifi on your phone. The wifi constantly goes down so you have to have the receptionists reset it almost daily if not multiple times a day. The restaurants were terrible, besides the breakfast buffet.
I feel like these cons are very minor and I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamarindo
Jardin del Eden boutique hotel
Hotel Capitan Suizo
Hotel Capitan Suizo
#3 of 22 in Tamarindo
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria? Share your experiences!