“This hotel was fun”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mississauga, Canada
“This hotel was fun”
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Young crowd. Great beach, Surfers and babes everywhere. The nightlife is inches away on a street with spot after spot.
The staff was friendsly, but the service int he beachfront restaurant was painfully slow. Thank goodness that the view from it was enough to want me to stay there for the rest of the day.
The beach front rooms in the renovated section were very nice indeed. The bathroom area was basic, but the beds were very comfortable, nice sheets, AC worked well. Quiet rooms. The grounds were really well taken care of.
It took about an hour to walf the beach from one end to the other.
I would come here with a group of fun friends looking to go out every night.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed March 21, 2011

The Hotel Tamarindo Diria is ideally located on a long, beautiful stretch of golden sand beach. A variety of restaurants and shops are within walking distance, great for travelers like ourselves who enjoy exploring and trying out different places to eat. (Try Nibbana, Nogui's, Gil's Place, and The Dragonfly.) Jaime Peligro's bookstore, near the Super 2001 grocery, is also worth a visit. Friendly owner, originally from California, will answer questions about the local area and make suggestions. Ask at the Diria front desk for a helpful map of Tamarindo that lists many restaurants and also has a table of high and low tides.

We had a sunset view room on the third floor, and the view was spectacular. The room was showing signs of age, and there were some maintenance issues that couldn't be easily fixed. We were graciously offered a different room which we accepted. A plate of beautifully arranged fresh fruit was delivered to our room along with a letter of apology for the inconvenience. Very nice! Both rooms were in the older section of the hotel, and the bathrooms were tiny. The other wing of sunset view rooms (on the north end) appeared newer, with the bathroom sink separate from the rest of the bathroom. We asked to move to this wing, but all the rooms were full. On another stay, I would request the newer wing. I believe the rooms across the street are newer still, and that pool is larger and more attractive, but we enjoyed being right on the beach.

Our room was cleaned promptly each day, but towel replacement was erratic. (Sometimes we'd get one washcloth, sometimes none, our bathmat would disappear and not be replaced, etc.) Speaking of towels, I would like to suggest that a separate booth for beach towels near the pool area would be much more convenient than having to stand in line for them at the front desk. Just a thought.

If you have any room concerns or other issues, talk to Judy Rusconi at Guest Services. She's wonderful, warm and friendly, and will do whatever she can to help you.

Note: There are no elevators in the sunset view buildings, which could be a concern if you have mobility issues. However, the bell staff promptly delivered our luggage for us, and we didn't mind the stairs.

I was surprised to read other reviewers' comments about staff being unfriendly or unresponsive. Our experience was quite the opposite. I think the staff is doing the best they can with an aging facility, and it's important to be respectful to them, as always when traveling.

The breakfast buffet (included with our room) was generous and satisfying. Lots of delicious fresh fruit, made-to order omelettes and waffles, and many other hot and cold choices, including coffee and juice. We never had to wait in line for food or a table.

In summary, The Tamarindo Diria is a 3-star hotel, so it isn't fair to expect it to be a 4-star. There is no coffee maker in the room, no tissue dispenser (but you do get a pocket pack of Kleenex!) There is a safe box, which was appreciated, and the free wi-fi worked just fine in our room. We felt that the location and beautiful beach outweighed any shortcomings. We would stay here again.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Wonderful hotel. GREAT for planning for your family or for a group. Especially if you are from the US they were very easy to work with and the communication was great. I had to plan a lot of activities and book several rooms. Normally it is hard to book group trips outside of the US because of language barriers and not as many methods of communication. Eunice Torelli was the representative who helped me with EVERYTHING, she was great and was always my main pointof contact so I wasn't being passed off to several different people etc.. She was extremely helpful and went above and beyond to help accommodate the group and complete all of my requests promptly and with a great attitude.
Great place to stay, great rooms, great view, great people and atmosphere!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Marysville, Wa
Reviewed March 20, 2011

This is probably one of the nicest hotel in Tamarindo, which isn't really hard to do since the town is pretty much one street.
Pros - Perfect location on the beach. Right in the middile of town. Pools were amazing and there were always lounge chairs available. Free wifi in the reception and one of the pool areas. Staff was friendly, especially Luis from the restaurant. Every morning he greeted us with a smile. Although the employees at the tour desk weren't very helpful. The free morning breakfast buffet was very good. The howler monkeys in the trees by the larger pools were fun to listen to and watch.
Cons - Half of the hotel is across the street with rooms that overlook the better of the two pools. Some of these rooms also face the south side which is next to another hotel that has live music playing until 3am. If felt like the band was right outside our door so my ear plugs were my saving grace. Also, if you have a traveller that can't walk very well, it is quite a trek from the reception area to these rooms. I had asked to be moved because my dad was having problems walking all this way but they were fully booked and couldn't move us. If you have an iPhone, they have to set up the wifi on your phone. The wifi constantly goes down so you have to have the receptionists reset it almost daily if not multiple times a day. The restaurants were terrible, besides the breakfast buffet.
I feel like these cons are very minor and I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Cadillac, Michigan
Reviewed March 19, 2011

I had a single poolside room. It was quite spacious, but had no indoor chair or table. the bathroom was nice with a very large shower. However, the toilet was so close to the wall that I spent the first two days banging my elbow. The bed was good and maid service was acceptable. The included breakfast was great with eggs, meat, fresh fruit, and some kind of potatoe and pancake or waffle every day. The restauant is outside and we ate overlooking the Pacific every morning. There were lots of beach chairs, we never went without, and a good variety of sun and shade. The beach was super, with big breakers to play in, or quiet closer to shore for young children. The hotel had excellent security, and was within walking distance to many restaurants and shops. The staff was friendly and helpful. My only negative was one night there was a private party at the pool with a very loud band that kept me up past midnight. All in all, I'd give this hotel a very positive review and would definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Stayed in hotel for allmost a week.
Brilliant location, internet was free and working ok in our room.
All was realy good as it should be.
Minibar staff gave us a bill for things we didn't take, but it was later sorted in 23 seconds ;)
Must say thanks to the staff for their help with accident my 9 y.o. son had.
He was surfing and was hit in the head by surfboard of other surfer. Blood all over the place, but everyone from hotel stuff was absolutely brilliant (especialy hotels Surf trainer whose name i forgot - yea, shame on me ). They called ambulance and it was there in 15 minutes. Half an hour later my son was stiched up iin our hotel room.
All in all it was great :)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Claremont, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 14, 2011

The Hotel Tamarindo Diria is a beautiful beach front hotel. It has one three story building on the beach and a bigger complex across the street that includes suites and condos as well as regular hotel rooms. The sunset rooms face the beach. Rooms on the second and third floor give the best views. Be careful to ask for a balcony if you want a nice view. On my first trip I had a nice second floor room with a balcony overlooking the beach. On my second trip I ended up in a ground floor room two doors down from the outdoor bar and restaurant. You couldn't really see the beach. It was noisy starting at 5:30 as the staff began setting up for breakfast and until the bar and restaurant closed at 10:00 or 11:00. These sunset rooms vary in size as well. Ground floor rooms near either end would probably be very nice for someone who does not want to climb stairs. There are also rooms across the street that face the big, beautiful pool with fountains and a swim up bar. Other rooms face the street or parking lot so make sure you ask for what you want. The breakfast buffett is wonderful and open from 6:30 until 10:00 so you have lots of time to take advantage of the offerings. The breakfast wait staff are very friendly, but I wished some of the staff behind the counters could smile more. The hotel is very clean. Someone is constantly sweeping and mopping and taking care of the lawns and gardens. Housekeeping staff do a nice job cleaning your room each day, but you will not always get all of the towels you need. I found that writing a note in Spanish helped to get the extra pillows we had been waiting for as well as face cloths that only appeared sporadically. Ask at the front desk for beach towels and return them there. Rumor has it they will charge you if you do not return the exact number you took. Some rooms have refrigerators and mini bars. Personally, I think they could do away with the mini bar. It was annoying having someone come every day to check and see if we had consumed anything. There is a guard at the street side and beach side entrances of the hotel, but I never felt unsafe anywhere in Tamarindo. The guards keep the vendors out so you do not have to be approached every few minutes by someone wanting to sell you some pottery, jewelry or cigars. The bar area and lunch/dinner area are open air and offer beautiful views of Tamarindo Beach. The restaurant service is fine. However, the bar service, including the pool side bar, is painfully slow and not all of the bartenders are particularly friendly compared to other beach front bars you can visit on Tamarindo Beach. It is not the quick, efficient, friendly service Americans are used to receiving. This is not an all-inclusive resort. You are right in the middle of downtown Tamarindo and can easily walk to all of the shops, restaurants, beach bars and nightclubs. There are several small stores close by where you can buy your own snacks, water, beer, wine, etc. There is a small pharmacy as well with at least one very friendly English-speaking employee. Overall, it is a very nice place to stay. I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamarindo
Jardin del Eden boutique hotel
Hotel Capitan Suizo
Hotel Capitan Suizo
#3 of 22 in Tamarindo
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria? Share your experiences!