“Awesome Hotel and a Great Value”
Review of Hotel Pasatiempo

Hotel Pasatiempo
Ranked #2 of 47 Tamarindo B&B and Inns
Naugatuck, Connecticut
“Awesome Hotel and a Great Value”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We went for our 10 year anniversary and had the most amazing time here. The hotel is perfect! Beautiful grounds, perfect rooms, comfy beds, great breakfast, sweet hosts, and great on site restaurant and bar. We went during the rainy season and the rates were so reasonable. The pool is beautiful too! The only thing missing was a hot tub, but no biggie. You are 2 blocks from the beach, town, restaurants, awesome shopping and bars!! Best location by far!!! I can't say enough good things about this hotel! We would go back in a second. Helen is the owner and did a fabulous job taking over this apparently abandoned property this past January. The place is perfect!! Thank you for a fabulous vacation. We booked through Expedia, but they lose a large % so just book directly through them. They will have a taxi get you at the Iberia airport which was a breeze to fly into. It is only an hour from the airport. Just email them!!

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room and it was great. We were next to the restaurant. No complaints!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed there for one night on October 20th, 2012 in one of the deluxe units and was very impressed with the cleanliness, the amenities, and especially the service. The owners were hospitable and very accommodating. We had seen other places in Tamarindo but nothing compares to the value of this beautiful little oasis. Had everything we needed and more. Would definitely go back and would recommend to everyone I know who might be travelling in the Tamarindo area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The staff were all super warm and helpful. I was a single woman staying there alone, and I felt safe and very at home.

The breakfast was very basic but fresh and delicious---I loaded up on scrambled eggs and lots of watermelon and pineapple to power me up before heading to surf lessons.

My room was really clean, the bed was nicely made up and very comfortable. Loved the big shower and the powerful A/C that cut the humidity.

I was there during the rainy season, so the lounge chairs kept getting rained on, and so I wasn't able to lie out by the pool for a bit. I was pretty busy with other stuff though.

One thing you will want to make sure of is to bring a pair of shoes other than flip-flops for your stay here if it isn't during the rainy season. It is literally off the beaten path; you must walk down a dirty road to get to it from the beach---which turns to mud after a rain! If you can deal with that, it is definitely worth the walk. Peaceful and tranquil.

I would come back for sure! A ridiculous deal for the price of $45 U.S.D. I paid for my particular room during the low season. My friends who were all staying elsewhere were envious!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andria L
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is really a cool place. It's clean and the tropical garden is lush and inviting. Perhaps best of all......It's CLEAN! The hotel operators know exactly what they're doing. It's got a four-star feel for two-star prices. One of the best values I've found in Costa Rica.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 10, 2012

a great value for the price u pay.. the room was really nice with warm colors, hot water, LCD TV, ac and a fan.... they change your towels every day and cleaning the room... the owner is a really nice guy and helped us with everything we needed... there is a tropical garden with swimming pool... we really enjoy staying in this hotel.... breakfast included and they have amazing food and bar in the evening....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I arrived in Tamarindo without any reservation and find the hotel Pasatiempo. The staff is great, the place looks amazing with tropical garden and a giant palm palapa in the middle, you can walk to the beach in 5 minutes. We stayed in a standard room for $60/ night with the breakfast included. The room has everything you need including a hair dryer (really practical because it was raining a little bit) and it is imaculate. Randy and Helen arrange all tours and transfers you need and after checking in town, they not overpriced, it's just easier.
I highly recommend this place and will return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Hotel surrounding was nice, rooms were equipped with a safe and very eco friendly, but it was attack of the bugs. I almost stepped on a centipede, and bugs were in the room non stop. My friend who I was traveling with was scared of the non stop parade of bugs no matter the bug spray she put on her. Bar was hesistant to serve frozen drinks, and upon checkout, they tried to charge me 120 for two nights when I was told 2 nights would be 30 a night not per person. Hotel staff were not that friendly and evidently do not communicate about the right hotel prices. I paid the 120 for 2 nights (2 people) but the ambience alone does not define the price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jmcal027
Hotel-Pasatiempo, Owner at Hotel Pasatiempo, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Wow, that really hurts.
If you are like me when using Tripadvisor, you check the overall bulk of the reviews and then click on the worst one to see what could possibly go wrong during your stay. It seems the be the balanced method of research that weeds out any nonsense and fluff, and often it can be really funny to see what can go wrong. Sometimes, if you are really savvy, you can pick up on a bad review and tell if the client being unreasonable and their expectations are impossible for anyone to overcome. Those of you in the customer service or hospitality industry know these things instinctively and are probably having a laugh right about now.
Well, here we are at the worst review for Hotel Pasatiempo and what do we have? We have a client furious about the price of the hotel that she believed should have been $30 per night. The price of the hotel is clearly written at the front desk, on Expedia, and even Tripadvisor with the lowest seasonal rate being $60 per night. And really, where does a person stay in a 3 star boutique hotel with pool and breakfast included in the most expensive town in Costa Rica for the price of a hostel? The answer is nowhere, this fictitious discount dream hotel does not exist. I am sorry that the guest was confused about this issue, really, but I am frankly uncertain how it could possibly be made more clear.
I am also certain that the complaint about bugs is tied to the dispute about price and is a stretch of the imagination on the clients part, nothing more. If there was a real issue with insects (or any room related problem) we would have moved the guest immediately and at any hour of the day or night, that is just what we do. I detest insects in rooms personally and never tolerate their presence at the hotel or in my home. There is simply no greater way to inflict harm on the reputation of a hotel then pulling the bug card, and that my friends is that.
So, dear reader and fellow traveller, I urge you to read between the lines and make up your own mind. Have a look at the other reviews and make the informed decision that you came here to make. If you choose to stay here I assure you that I will do everything in my power as an owner to make you happy and comfortable and address any concerns that you may have with a prompt, warm, and friendly response; and I assure you that in my absence my staff will do the same.

Thanks for reading.