“Best Decision in Costa Rica”

Coral Reef Surf Hostel
Cupertino, CA
“Best Decision in Costa Rica”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We came to the Coral Reef Hostel planning a 2 night stay, and ended up staying 10! That seems to be the way of the hostel, as many of my fellow travelers were in similar situations there.

The staff is so friendly, so helpful, just amazing. Jeff (owner), Miguel (receptionist, surf instructor and guide), Belyn (receptionist and behind-the-scenes) - all wonderful people who made our stay that much better.

We stayed in the dorm room for all 10 nights and enjoyed the comfy bunks, AC, hot shower and CLEAN spacious bathroom. The whole place was clean...it was awesome.

Outside they have a TV, skate ramp and some workout equipment which was an added bonus. I also had a surf lesson with Miguel who I would 100% recommend. He's a competitive surfer and truly amazing coach in the water. We actually ended up surfing with him on a couple of occasions after the lessons - such a great person.

Also, the hostel seems to attract really nice, outgoing, good people many of whom we befriended during our stay. If you go, be social! Others will respond.

Ooh also, Jeff owns the neighboring restaurant Longboards BBQ - fish tacos and pulled pork sandwich are insanely good!

Highly recommended hostel! You will not be sorry you did :)

Room Tip: We were a couple staying in the dorms because we had found a rate online that was more beneficial to...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed June 18, 2014

The hostel I has great positioning in the centre of the town. On arrival we had a very warm and fun welcome making us feel really at ease. The rooms are really nice and aircon works great. The restaurant, smoothie house, crepes place and bar is right on your door step which is perfect. Smoothies are amazing! Staff are all great and willing to help and answer any questions you have. Could not recommend this hostel enough! Six months into travelling and this is one of the best.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Shediac, Canada
Reviewed June 4, 2014

when we first came in the Coral Reef hostel, Miguel welcomed us like we were his old friends! He was so inviting and genuine, plus the vibe was awsum there! We stayed for 3 nights. We had a private room with ac. The hostel was clean at all times and it is right downtown so it is close to everything! (bars, bank, grocery store, restaurants, etc..) only a 2-3 minute walk to the beach! They renovated a lot we've been told. They have hot water in the shower (which I didn't see the need for it) and they have a kitchen. They also offer surf lessons by Miguel. Jeff, the owner, was welcoming and very helpful. He owns Longboard restaurant (which is right besides the hostel) so you get a discount and the food is very good (I suggest to try the fish taco!) The staff there (Miguel, Pio and Jeff the cook) showed us a good time in Tamarindo! They were very caring and helpful. They would go out of their way to make sure we were okay and having a good time. Our little stay came to a end and we left for another town. After a week, we decided to go back to Tamarindo to surprise Miguel, Pio and Jeff and we where only going to stay two days but we ended up staying a whole week and a half. We made a lot of good friends at Coral Reef. We also meet Belèn (who is doing an internship there for 4 months). She is the sweetest girl with a lot of potential for the hostel. I can only say positive stuff about this hostel and the staff. We had a lot of fun during our stay. Miguel, Pio, Jeff (the cook) and Jeff (the owner), we miss you and we will surely be back sooner then later!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2014

At first I was supposed to stay there for 2 days, but then I ended up staying a week and came back for another week later during my trip. I absolutely loved that place, the people are very welcoming, fun and warm. Plus the location is perfect, beside a lots of surf shops, juice bar, beach and little restaurants. The place was very clean and the personal there is very helpful with anything you need! Just go there! :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed May 27, 2014

First of all the people who work here are the most wonderful and accommodating people I have ever met in my life. They are so friendly and connect with everyone that comes into the hostel, making it the most comfortable atmosphere with the most amazing energy I have ever felt in my life. Miguel gave me my first surf lesson and I brought my friends back to the hostel a week later just to get a lesson from him. He makes it so fun as well as informational and safe... Everyone was able to stand.. 6 out of 6 girls 5 of who have never surfed in their life. The hostel was renovated just last year so everything is new, hot showers, hammocks everywhere for lounging... and you will lounge because it is that comfortable... Belén will wonderfully greet you if you are there within the next 4 months, Pio or Miguel will also be there and invite you with such fun and positive pura vida energy.. stay here... you will be so thankful...
I promise this.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Hands down the best hostel ever, the workers are AMAZING and super friendly. It's super close to everything downtown, the bank, grocery store, restaurants, the beach, shops, the bars /clubs. I would go back in a heart beat. My experience at Coral Reef was by far the best experience. I had the best time ever and I consider myself lucky to have met Jeff and his staff. On the plus side, Jeff also owns the Longboards BBQ right beside it and you get 15% off if you stay at Coral Reef, good food and also a great staff. Coral Reef also has AC! Which was pretty awesome. I miss everyone and I can't wait to be back. Again, incredible staff :) MUCHO AMOR!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2014

My friend and I just spent 4 nights at coral reef hostel and we could not have been happier! From the minute we got there the owner and girl at the front desk made us feel so welcome. The rooms had AC and are beautifully renovated! A very sweet lady comes in and cleans the rooms every morning too! It also has a great little kitchen that we could use whenever we wanted! Everything in the hostel is always kept very clean too which was so great!
The hostel also offers surf lessons for a very reasonable price.
The hostel has a Restaurant attached to it which you get a discount at if you stay at the hostel- the food there is great too!
Great location, central to the beach, bars, lots of tour companies and many restaurants and cafes!
All the locals we met were incredibly nice and helpful and took us to some amazing beaches that were nearby!
4 days was definitely not enough time there but we had the time of our life!
Make sure and stay here and you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed May 2014