“Third Time and All Charm”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica
Reviewed June 30, 2014

First of all I have to admit a bias here because I think That Esteban and Kay are two of the nicest people we have met during our travels, but I am not reviewing them. i am reviewing their beautiful Finca Casagua or Painted Pony Ranch. My family has stayed with Kay and Esteban three times and all three times have been wonderful. I am not a horse person, but my wife is and my whole family has enjoyed the horse rides through the small Costa Rican village of Puertogulpe. Any level of rider will be at home with Esteban leading the ride. In addition to the horses you have access to all of Kay and Esteban's knowledge about the entire Guanacoste area. Advice that has saved my family and I hundreds of dollars and hours of travel time. We always look forward to spending time at the Painted Pony Ranch whenever we come to Costa Rica. I would recommend this place to anyone, and have on many occasions.

Room Tip: Both the Casita and the house are very nice. The Casita is a cabin where as the house is exactly tha...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
CRCowgirl, Manager at Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Thanks, thanks! You know that many folks that visit Costa Rica for more than 3 visits, soon become neighbors. We hope you consider Finca Casagua your home in Guanacaste and we look forward to your family staying with us again. And yes, the shower is a favorite!

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Loved every minute of staying here. The horses, the casita, the location, the pueblos, Kay, Mariano, the dogs! Wish we were there longer than 2 nights. We were able to experience some of the "real Costa Rica," and we will never forget it. Hope to visit again in the future!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments. We try to give our riders a real taste of Costa Rican culture and hospitality. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We just spent four of the best days of our lives with Kay and Esteban, owners and operators of the Painted Pony Guest Ranch! We rode their wonderful horses, stayed in a very comfortable Casita and ate Kays wonderful home cooking! She even surprised my husband with homemade Mac N Cheese after she heard him say how much he loved it. Our rides were BIG adventures...right Esteban? We rode the old Spanish trail to Template, stopped and had a couple of ice cold beers...enjoyed ourselves so much that we lost track of time and rode home in the dark...crazy fun! Esteban is a 4th generation Tico (and is a Large Animal Vet) and knows everything about the area and loves to share that history with you! We rode on a gorgeous beach at sunset...unbelievable!!! Their horses are well trained (Natural Horsemanship methods), well cared for and were a joy to ride! Absolutely hands down the best time I've ever had! I just really can't express how much we loved this ranch! I WILL be going back again this year! I want to spend some time learning how to cook next time too! This is a don't miss!! Easy flight too! Thank you Kay and Esteban for a big adventure! Miss you guys already!

• Stayed: April 2014
casaguahorses, Owner at Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

It is our peasure too to spend time with riders that appreciate our horses and the special corner of paradise we are fortunate enough to share. It is our goal to provide warm Guanacaste hospitality and have our guests become our friends. We are so happy that you have taken home fond memories of your time on the ranch and riding. We like Mac and Cheese too! Come back soon.

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

My family and I have been traveling toCR for 6 years now. The routine always leads to the beach, passing the small towns that make up the backbone of this beautiful country. That changed with out recent visit with Kay and estephan. They are the best!! They took us to hidden towns and were treated like a local. They gave us wonderful info on the local culture and even saw some 500 year old pottery. The best part is the beach is right there if you want. We will be back!!!!!!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Blancoy
casaguahorses, Owner at Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

There is a world of rich Costa Rican culture and natural history just minutes off the tourist beaches. The friendly Guanacastecos welcome visitors with a smile and wave as we pass through the small villages on our riding tours. And of course, stopping at a family cantina for colds drinks and some of the best fried chicken in Guanacaste give riders a real "Taste of Guanacaste." Come back soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I can't even begin to say how incredible this ranch is. My mom and I came here for 3 days and wished we had booked a longer trip. Kay and Esteban went out of their way to make us feel welcomed and treated us like family. To begin with, Kay is an incredible cook and provided us with the most delicious home- cooked meals including fresh, local fruits and vegetables. We had some very happy stomachs during those days!! We loved talking with her and hearing all of her stories- especially how she raised an orphaned baby Howler monkey. She is the sweetest woman!! The main house is beautiful and the doors were always open for us to visit, sit on the wonderful back porch or try out the splash pool. Our casita was just a short walk from the main house and was just as nice. Each morning, we were woken by the sound of the Howler monkeys in the trees-- that is a sound I will miss. Esteban was in charge of the trail rides and is an incredible guide. My mom did not ride but he took me though all of the quaint little villages, through the mountains, and across the most scenic pastures. He is a wonderful teacher of nature and pointed out all of the plants and trees and explained everything about them. We would stop in a small town for lunch and dinner and Kay was sweet enough to drive my mom there so she could join us for a meal. On our last day, Esteban spent time giving me a lesson on the special way they train their horses using Natural Horsemanship techniques. It was so heart-warming to see how gentle he was with his horses and how much they trusted him. This was truly an experience of a life-time and I can't wait to come back again,,

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
CRCowgirl, Owner at Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

It was a pleasure to have you and your mother join us too and look forward to your next visit. To work with Esteban on Natural Horsemanship brings our guests closer to understanding the language of the horse, and how special it is to "partner up" with these magnificent animals. Thank you for your kind comments, the ranch truly is a special place for humans and animals.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

My stay at the Painted Pony Guest Ranch was a great way to experience Costa Rica. Kay and Esteban are very gracious and accomodating hosts. The food was great and the horses are of the highest quality and very well taken care of; a pleasure to ride. The rides are varied and include exhilarating gallops on long stretches of beach. Would highly recommend this trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
CRCowgirl, Manager at Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Whether you are a single traveler or come with family or friends, you will enjoy the small group rides designed just for individual riding levels or meals prepared for special diets or pallets. We happy you enjoyed the new rides on the beach and on back country trails. We hope you can return soon.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My daughter and I had the pleasure of staying with Kay and Esteban for 12 days in August 2013. I am not sure where to start, this is how to really experience Costa Rica. Starting with Kay organizing the perfect vacation based on my requests. Kay personally picked us up at the airport and drove us back to the ranch, finca Casagua. The location is beautiful and so perfect, lush, green and just remote enough.

The accomodations were wonderful, a large casita with a small kitchen and a wonderful outdoor shower (very private). The first day we went on a two hour ride to get to know the horses as well as Kay and Esteban. My daughter is a tentaive spanish speaker and gained so much knowledge and confidence with Esteban's guidance and help. He was so very patient with her teaching her the proper pronounciation and encouraging her.

In our almost two weeks there, Kay made us some amazing meals, and made sure she worked around our diets (my daughter is a vegetarian). Esteban took us on some amazing rides and was so responsive to our needs, a requested early morning ride, long ride on the beach, eating at local eateries, etc. The highlight of our trip was a day at a local fiesta and horse race in a small village, Tempate where my daughter and I were allowed to ride our horses around town without a guide and the visit to the elementary school where we brought supplies and got to visit with the children.

Kay drove us anywhere we wanted to go, including 3 seperate beaches, made a big deal of my daughters 18th birthday and made her feel very special and helped us set up a few of the larger tours such as Arenal Volcano and ziplining.

I cannot rave about Kay and Esteban and this vacation enough. It was simply perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
CRCowgirl, Owner at Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

A wonderful part of running the guest ranch is to meet riders who come to love Costa Rica and it's unique culture just as we do. It was a peasure to get to know you and your daughter. She will be a great teacher one day and we were happy to help a little with her Spanish too. We look forward to seeing you both again one day. You can be proud of the work that you do and that you are raising such a fine young lady.