La Oveja Negra Tamarindo Surf Camp
Hotel Tamarindo Diria(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$162
Bookit.com
$179
Occidental Tamarindo(Playa Langosta)
$187
  • Pool
Seis Playas Hotel(Huacas)(Great Value!)
$89
$73
Hotel Arco Iris(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$80
$286
JW Marriott
  • Pool
Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$67
$42
$257
$204
$250
$243
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Tamarindo Bay Boutique Hotel(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$110
$107
All reviewsgood vibesthe mexican restaurantthe black sheepping pong tablegreat live musiclaid backwill stay there againair conditioningnice roomfree wifiother travelersin townrooms are spaciouspura vidasurf campcosta ricaevery morning
Reviewed May 15, 2013

If you wanna stay in Tamarindo, do in La Oveja Negra Hostel. Its clean, the atmosphere is relaxed, very nice people , awesome owners and good prices. A typical surfer hostel with a nice bar. We stayed here for almost 6 weeks and enjoyed it a lot. The Beach is farely close and a supermarket is around the corner. In other words everything you need for a nice stay in Tamarindo.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had a great time here- the kitchen is well-equipped and the TV room is very spacious. It's a 7 min walk to the beach, and the attached bar (open at night) always had something happening. I stayed with my sister in a private double (2 beds) for only $15 each per night, with AC (only at nighttime, which is great because it saves energy and you shouldn't be in your room during the day anyway!). Bathroom aren't the best I've ever seen, but water pressure was great! Definitely a good place to meet people

Room Tip: Try to get a room opposite the wall that borders the bar... you're more likely to get sleep!
Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The pros of the hostel is that it drawas a young surfer crowd. Lonely Planet gave it the highest reviews. We showed up to a dank poorly lit room, nothing like what we expected from our travel book. Apparently the writer for the book company was friends with the hostel owner and thus the great review. There were holes in the panaled ceiling and we could here insects or mice or something running around there was a cockroach in the bed and it was poorly lit so you felt like you were in a dungeon. There was air conditioning that worked well and the price was not that expensive. It is about a 7 min walk to the beach. They do arrange for trips to witch's rock which was a plus but overall the place was not a place I would liek to relax in at the end of the day. We canceled our room after paying and they were accomodating and gave us a full refund for which we were very grateful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zachary G
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Although the location is great, the rooms are very basic and the showers/toilets are suboptimal. Only one sink and 2/3 showers work. The place is dark and looks old. Impossible to sleep in some of the rooms during party nights, since they are basically attached to the bar next doors. Good place though if you are looking for non-stop party-time i guess.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I can't say enough good things about this place. It's clean, fun and the price is right. The rooms are large with good air con and they don't crowd them with tons of beds like a lot of hostels do. Each room as 3 beds. I've stayed in smaller rooms with 8 beds. The bathroom has multiple showers and toilets so you don't have to wait and it's clean with good hot water.

My friend and I took the surf lesson with Wences who did a great job and we were catching waves pretty much immediately. They have a fun bar at the hostel with some of the best prices in town and great music. We only stayed here one night and then moved to a hotel on the beach but we came back every night to the bar. It's mostly a young backpackers crowd so if that's you and you like fun this is where you want to go.

The owners are fantastic, our hotel on the beach was robbed and the thiefs stole everything I had. The staff at the hotel weren't very helpful so I came back to Oveja Negra and they let me use their phone and internet. The next day Santiago gave me a couple of his shirts to help me out. How many people would go that far to help?? Stay here!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends