“Beautiful, Fun, Comfortable”

Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp
Edmonton, Canada
“Beautiful, Fun, Comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

In the last five months I have stayed at Blue Trailz three times. I have stayed in the private rooms as well as both dorm rooms.
The private rooms are very spacious and comfortable and have everything you need. It comfortably fits 4 people and is reasonably priced if you are staying on your own.
The dorm rooms quiet and comfortable and clean and air conditioned, which is awesome!
The hostel is cleaned every day by a lovely Tica who is more than happy to chat if you speak any Spanish.
Emily and Steve, the owners of the hostel, are incredible!!! They go out of their way to ensure that you have a great time.
The best things about the hostel is it has: EVERYTHING! Yoga, surfing, paddle boarding, boogie boarding, clothes and surf boards for sale, mountain biking (or just general bike riding), I could go on and on, oh, tours, its really endless. Emily and Steve are also available to recommend other places to travel and restaurants to eat, etc.
The other staff is great too and friendly and super fun!
I definitely would recommend staying here.
AND its right across from the beach!
Happy travels!

Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Calgary, AB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

I wasn't planning on visiting Tamarindo during my trip to Costa Rica but I am SO glad that I did. I took the 7 day yoga/surf camp at Blue Trailz. The camp consisted of 5 surf lessons, 6 yoga classes, accommodations and airport transfer included, free breakfast everyday at an amazing restaurant (not your typical toast and coffee like the "free breakfast" at other hostels) and two other tours (choose from ATV, horseback riding, zip lining, snorkeling, mountain biking etc.). Great value!!

One of the reasons why the camp is so great is that it is SMALL. There were no more than 3 people in any surf or yoga class that I took so I really reaped the benefits! I learned how to surf in 5 lessons! The yoga studio is right in the hostel. Emily (co-owner and yoga instructor) provided informative lessons and truly helped me to improve my practice. She even gives a little "adjustment" while you're in savasana, that is really a neck and face massage! What I liked most about the studio was that when you looked up, as in tree pose, you could see the trees through the clear roof. Beautiful.

The rooms were cleaner than any other hostel I've stayed in. The dorms sleep six and each dorm room has it's own kitchen area and bathroom. There are also private rooms available. Big plus -- AIR CONDITIONED ROOMS! The beds are very comfortable as well. Security overnight. I slept so well there.

The location is right across the street from the beach access, and close to everything you would need in Tamarindo. Supermarket across the street, nightlife within walking distance, plenty of restaurants and shopping as well.

The camp is owned by a Canadian couple, Steve and Emily, who seem to do ANYTHING to accommodate your schedule. They know a lot about the town and will provide recommendations for anything you're looking for. They even arrange nights for the people at the hostel to get to know each other. They met us all at a pizza restaurant one night where we ate the best pizza in Costa Rica. The people who work in the shop are friendly and accommodating. It feels like a little family. I definitely made some good friends at Blue Trailz!

I would recommend this place to solo travelers, groups of friends and couples of any age. It is a very laid-back atmosphere - just the kind of state you need to be in to truly experience the Costa Rican lifestyle!! Thanks Steve and Emily! xoxo

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Amanda1217
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

Excited about the other trip advisor reviews, we booked 1 night in a private room (which is just a hostel room blocked for you and your companion), as that's all they had available. And thankfully that's all we needed at Blue Trailz. Don't get me wrong, Emily and Steve are REALLY nice and personable. I can see how other people raved about their experiences with them. But the only time we saw them was when were checking out. We checked in with an aloof Tico who just cared about selling us a "surf lesson" and other tours and making sure he got our key deposit than anything else. The room was fine. Definitely not the best place ever, per the other reviewers. And trust me, after 6 months of budget travel throughout South America, I've seen it all. It was dim and a bit dark and the street lights from the street were shining loud and proud through the window the entire night (an eye mask was used, which could have been prevented with a curtain). It lacked towels and the bathroom was really dirty. The location really can't be beat, but for $50/night, you can find something better in town. We moved to Soles y Margaritas for the following 2 weeks and for $30/night, we had a studio apartment (fully equipped kitchen), AC, Wifi, hot water, amazing views, balcony, pool, quiet and really hospitable hosts who were there full time to answer any question and give you great advice (and surf instruction for $25 for a 2 hour semi private lesson). Don't settle...because you can find a sweet little spot that's easy on the budget in Tamarindo. [-]

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank quesofundido
Fairview, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

took 2 private yoga instructions on the beach with emily. It was amazing. Emily was very kind and accomdating. Will be sure to return. Tamarindo beach is very beautiful and peaceful. Yoga does not get much better than this. Looking forward to next year. PURA VIDA

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Tamarindo, Costa Rics
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

I booked a trip to Costa Rica pretty randomly, I went to the airline website looked at their destinations and picked one. I had no clue where to go when I got there so I went online and started researching a good destination. I was thinking of which coast to go to, was it going to the Pacific side or the Caribbean? I picked the Pacific side and started to narrow my choices down.... I read a lot of good things about Tamarindo, so I decided to head there first.
After choosing my destination I started reading reviews about the hostels... I looked at them carefully but was drawn to one of the higher reviewed hostels called Blue Trailz. It seemed like it may be a good place for me, but you never know online so I just booked 4 nights. I arrived in Tamarindo a day late because of weather complications,and checked into the hostel around 10am. The place looked nice but there was not really anyone around, but I figured they were just out and about. Sure enough as time went by more and more people appeared out of nowhere. I met some other fellow travelers that seemed nice, but you never know so I kept alert....just kidding lol.
I was introduced to the place and felt pretty comfortable after only a few hours of being here. Oh yea I forgot to tell you, I am still here as I write this,and in the 4 weeks I have been here I met tons of nice people, the staff and fellow travelers. I have seen many people come and go, but I seem to have found a place that I enjoy so I am hanging out. The owners take the time to get to know everyone who stays here, and at least once a week there are group outings to a restaurant, bar, or even a kickball game which kicked my butt!! It is a really good feeling to have so many different people coming together as a group to enjoy some time together. I would say this place has really good vibes, and they also offer tons of things to do. You will have a great time, and if you are into Canadians then you will really love it here, because right about now there is about a 1000 to 1 ratio of Canadians to Americans in the hostel.. I feel so alone here, could someone from America please get a passport and come here?!?!?

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank RobertAugust1970
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

As a girl traveling alone, I look for three things in a place to stay: cleanliness, security and a great atmosphere. Blue Trailz came out on top in all three areas!

The rooms are comfy, clean and air-conditioned. I also felt safe and secure the whole time I was there. And there aren’t enough words to describe how great the atmosphere was. I didn’t want to leave. In fact, I cancelled the rest of my trip and ended up staying at Blue Trailz for almost two weeks and still almost cried when I had to leave to catch my flight home. The owners, are a vibrant, young Canadian couple: Emily is an amazing yoga instructor with a huge heart and Steve is always good for a laugh and an adventure. And I’m not sure how this happens, but everyone that stays there is great.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank TravelinAbby
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

Awesome people, great new friends and those are just the owners and staff.
our stay was by far the best hostel experience ever.
i've travelled all throughout Australia and Steve and Emily at Blue Trailz were the perfect hosts with the perfect services.
The girlfriend took a surf lesson with instructor Rudy and he was professional and rad to chill with. couldnt have imagined our costa rica trip without these people!!!serious!!!
thanks again Emily and Steve!!
your friends in victoria