“Good food, terrible service”
Review of Koi Beach Restaurant - CLOSED

Koi Beach Restaurant
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Scenic view, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Thats Amore is located on the main street, right in front of the beach in Tamarindo Costa Rica(formerly known as Koi Beach Restaurant. We serve lunch everyday but Tuesday from 12-5pm with a delicious selection of panini's, pastas, salads, hamburgers & more! Dinner starts at 5pm and is served till 10pm with specialties in Pasta, Seafood, Steaks & More! Everyday from 5pm-6:30pm we offer an amazing sunset happy hour which includes 2x1 cocktails & Wine on our outdoor patio overlooking the ocean and beautiful sunsets. We look forward to serving you and hope to see you soon!
Cincinnati
“Good food, terrible service”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stopped by here for lunch one day. First of all, sushi is only at night. We sat at a high top table and could see some of the beach because we were in the second row. If you were further back, there would be no beach view. We ordered sandwiches which were good when they finally came. It took WAY too long for the food to come. You could have asked for french fries or a mixed greens to accompany the sandwiches. Our waiter forgot to ask us so we were brought the mixed greens on our plates when we wanted the fries. We didn't ask for the fries for fear how long it would take to get them. If I ever return to Tamarindo, I won't be coming here again.

• Visited December 2012
surf83, Owner at Koi Beach Restaurant, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
First of all I would like to apologize for the experience you had here at Koi. As you can see from our other reviews, bad service is not something we are known for. We do have quite a transition period we go through in December, which is the start of our high season. That is the time we hire our new seasonal staff and have to go through the training period right as town is getting busy, it is not an excuse, and I am sorry if the service was not up to your standards.
In regards to the beach view. In all of Guanacaste there is a 50 meter rule, where you can not build within 50 meters of the tide line, our building is built directly behind that line. There is natural green zone in front of us that can not be touched which does hide some of the ocean view with some short trees, but not much.
My wife or I are here for every shift and wish we would have known about your situation as I can promise you we would have fixed it right then and there.
If you happen to travel down this way again, please stop in, we would like to offer you 10% off your next visit to show you the experience you had is not standard practice here at Koi Beach Restaurant and we would love the chance to make another impression.
Thanks again for your review.

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved Koi!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My girlfriends and I loved this place! We visited at least 4 times during our week stay in Tamarindo. They have 2 for 1 cocktails from 5-7 :) the owner, staff, and food were all amazing...definitely some of the nicest people we met on our trip!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Jenny O
Hi Jenny, Thank you so much for sharing your Koi experience with other travelers. We really appreciate all reviews and take customer feedback very seriously. To hear you visited us numerous times on your vacation is the best compliment we can receive! Our daily happy hour is becoming more and more popular with 2x1 Cocktails from 5-6:30 and then live music starting at 7-we are glad you were able to take advantage of the happy hour! Hopefully your travels bring you back our way, and if they do please stop in and say hello.
Thanks again for your review.
Toronto
“Great food and excellent service”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Situated upstairs in the middle of Tamarindo, Koi was an great dining experience. The food was great, and our server Tori, made the experience even better. I'm not sure I've ever had better service! Thank you Tori!

1 Thank led17
Thank you very much for your review of Koi Beach Restaurant. Torian is one of our star employees and I am sure you can see why. She is not only a great server, but has an amazing personality that makes everyone's dining experience just that much more enjoyable. We are very happy she was able to enhance your time here at Koi. Thanks again for your review! I will be sure to pass it on to Torian.
Montville, New Jersey, United States
“Wow, a wonderful place”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We did not know what to expect from this beach front restaraunt. We randomly walked in with little expectations as we left the beach for lunch. We found great food friendly staff and the owners take great care to make sure you have great experience. The owner chef is from Italy and pursue culinary perfection. The seafood appetizer was great as was the grilled lobster. Two in my family had the Baka shrimp which was fabulous. I would encourage anyone to try this place as I am sure that you will enjoy. Oh, the cocktail and wine list both have good stuff to offer. Try for sure.

1 Thank Sdaera
surf83, Owner at Koi Beach Restaurant, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you so much for your review of Koi Beach Restaurant! Its funny because my wife was just telling me about a family that came in for lunch the other day from New Jersey and the grandfather from Italy-I am assuming you guys are who she was talking about. She was so pleased to get to serve you guys and talk to you a little bit about your stay. I am especially happy to hear you liked the seafood platter and the lobster-both dishes we have worked hard at perfecting:) I only wish I could have been there to meet you guys myself and speak with the gentleman from Italy. Thanks again for your review and please stop back in if you guys are still in town or the next time you find yourselves in Tamarindo. Happy Holidays from all of us here at Koi.
“Nice food and setting”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Had sushi craving and saw many choices on Tripadvisor. This one was close to our hotel. We liked sitting outdoors on the patio, especially since they had live music that night. We wanted the all you can eat, but now they do not have it every night. that would have been a good bargain. We enjoyed overall but it was kind of pricey. We liked spicy tuna best.

1 Thank Cmplx