“Great Upscale Food, Great Drinks, off the Beaten Trail”

Dragonfly Bar & Grill
Ranked #12 of 191 Restaurants in Tamarindo
Cuisines: Costa Rican, International
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Dragonfly Bar & Grill, a Tamarindo institution since its opening in January 2005. Highly touted as one of the best dining establishments in the bustling tourist town of Tamarindo, Costa Rica, Dragonfly consistently delivers exceptional cuisine, fantastic wines, cocktails and craft beers with gracious and knowledgeable service. Sourcing fresh local ingredients and seasonally adapting our menu options, Dragonfly Bar & Grill offers creative culinary cuisine and exceptional value in a charming and romantic atmosphere. Tucked away a short stroll from the town center, we are able to create a unique ambiance for our guests and are thrilled to share with them our little piece of paradise! We do not have an actual street address - We are a short stroll for the town center on Corona Street, after Pizzeria La Baula and just before Bolas Locas Mini Golf, behind Hotel Pasatiempo.
Morristown, New Jersey
“Great Upscale Food, Great Drinks, off the Beaten Trail”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Just ask any local to direct you to the Dragon Fly. You won't be sorry. The fusion of Asian and Italian food is very upscale and the unique martinis are skillfully made. Best tuna tartare I've ever had! The Fiery Thai Beef and Zucchini Apple Salad are excellent. We've never had a disappointing meal at this restaurant .

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Janet C

Faifax, VA
“Chef Giovanni...waiting to be discovered.”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I've been to most of the top restaurants in DC, and several pretty fantastic establishments worldwide. So I don't use the words "the best meal I've ever had" lightly. Especially because I'm a bit of a fish snob. But Chef Giovanni--a 24 year old Tamarindo native, with no formal culinary training, is one to watch.

It probably helped that he cooked us fish we had caught literally 4 hours before, but since freshness is pretty abundant anywhere along the Nicoya coastline, that factor doesn't deserve too much emphasis. We were advised by the Captain of the boat to bring the fish to Dragonfly, and as we handed the nearly 6 pounds of Mahi-Mahi over, he asked if we wanted anything in particular. Nope, just whatever he wanted to do with it was fine. What he did with it was nothing short of culinary genius. I wish we had requested a menu of ingredients, as I pretty much suck at taste identification, but I know enough to know that this was something beyond special.

The first "course" was a shot glass of pureed Mahi-Mahi with Cilantro and a Balsamic vinaigrette...and more good stuff that our Australian waiter mentioned and I promptly forgot in the wash of incredibly complementary yet innovative flavors. This paired with a ceviche that managed to make all of the other ceviche in the country seem like a TGI Friday's version, set the stage for the rest of the meal. The entrée was a thick-cut, perfectly cooked filet that I had to finish despite tummy room that had been far-surpassed. (Okay, so I gave the last several bites to my boyfriend, but I would have shoved it in if I was worried it would go to waste). It had a delightfully light and seasoned topping that brought out the flavors of the fish, yet created an individualized taste in each bite. It sat atop fresh and crisp veggies that convinced me that I wasn't completely ignoring the food pyramid.

The creativity, excellent service--from the drinks quickly by the bartender, to the waiter who knew just what to bring when, and didn't interrupt the meal reverie needlessly--Dragon Fly is a true delight. As for Chef Giovanni--look out NYC. This guy's the real deal.

• Visited February 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic Restaurant”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Great value, exquisite cuisine and ambiance. We had dinner there last night (I had the filet mignon and shrimp, my husband the special - Cuban style smoked pork) We had a couple appetizers (fried plantain with black bean humus, beef empanada's), dessert (tempura ice cream with melon marmalade) a couple drinks each (try the Tica Rica martini) and the bill was still much less than expected (or other local restaurants on this trip with lower quality food!)
Would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Tamarindo that enjoy's high quality of cuisine.
Only negative is it is off the main road, so a bit harder to find (only a couple hundred yards so not a big deal once you know!) Worth looking for and you can find it on the local tourist map.

• Visited March 2014
Canada
“Delicious Costa Rican Cuisine”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Our group of 6 went here for dinner and enjoyed excellent service and food. 3 of the group had the pan roasted amber jack fish with pineapple in panko crumbs and plaintain cakes. It was to die for! Others had filet mignon which was cooked to perfection, the spinach ravioli which was nicely flavoured and just the right amount, and the seared ahi tuna was yummy! What a great find this was!

• Visited March 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
“Tucked Away on a Quiet Street”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Pretty Asian bar decor, friendly staff, open kitchen so you can watch the chef. Food was good, we started with a tuna tartare appetizer which was excellent. Everyone in my group of 4 enjoyed their entrees. We didn't have a reservation but were seated right away.

Visited February 2014