“Interesting Experience”

Guaitil Pottery Studio
Ranked #7 of 30 Shopping in Tamarindo
More attraction details
Owner description: Costa Rican pottery workshop and store. Local Artist Arbin Espinoza Guevara hand builds and fires all pottery onsite. The studio is open to the public every day and pottery lessons are available. Please see our website for more details.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My wife and I have mixed feelings towards this review, we both felt as though it was something we were glad we did but also a little dissapointed with the attentiveness of the teacher. Upon arrival and during the initial day ( hr ) of lessons Arbin was very enthusiastic and seemed genuine about teaching us a little of his trade. This is where it gets tricky, from this point on the attention of the teaching seemed to be, I got your money, so I really don't care. This may be just us, being completely first time potter's. We may have been craving more hands on teaching. Nevertheless, we walked away with pieces we had created, feeling somewhat disaapointed.
Would I recommend this experience, definetly!! It is absolutely a great way to spend an hour or so between 3-4 days.

There are newer reviews for Guaitil Pottery Studio

Reviewed February 1, 2012

My friend Sara and I both agreed our pottery classes with Arbin were the highlight of our two weeks in Costa Rica. I had not done any pottery since I was in high school 15 years ago, and she friend had absolutely no prior experience but thanks to Arbin's instruction we both came away with beautiful pieces of art that we will cherish forever. Arbin is amazingly talented and I highly recommend anyone visiting Tamarindo stay at least a few days to take advantage of the opportunity to learn this traditional craft from him.

2  Thank Jill D
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I spent about 2 weeks in Tamarindo and since I'm not much of a sport person, I chose to take a pottery class with Arbin Guevara in his studio. It was a great experience. Arbin is a great teacher, very generous with his knowledge and time and I learned a lot no only about pottery but traditions and life in Guanacaste.
I highly recommend taking this class as well as visiting the studio and purchase his pieces.

2  Thank Icventure
Reviewed June 30, 2011

I picked out several gifts from here and everyone loved them! I would have loved to have brought a large piece home with me but due to travel constrictions that was not possible.
The owner is very nice and helpful. He makes the pottery that he sells and he offers classes wherein you can make your own piece to bring home with you.
I LIKE buying souvenirs made in the area that I am visiting. I DO NOT CARE to visit an area on vacation and find the souvenir to be made in CHINA!!!
His shop is in the circle at the end of the main street in town next to Nogui's Resturant.

1  Thank DSLA51
Reviewed March 6, 2011

I did a course at the Guaitil Pottery studio with Arbin, his wife and his dog. I did four part-days, with gaps to explore the area while each stage dried. I enjoyed myself hugely, being taught the whole process from kneading the clay, through hand turning, painting, burnishing and firing. All techniques are traditional but not too difficult. The teacher Arbin is patient and helpful, but will leave you to your own devices if you want. I came out with my own piece of Meso-America pottery that I will treasure for ever. Sadly it didn't make it all the way back to the UK completely unscathed, but I made minor repairs and it looks as good as new! I would highly recommend the experience to anyone with even the slightest artsy inclination - it is a wonderful alternative to surfing, lying on the beach or taking trips into cloud forests or up volcanoes.

4  Thank MaggyS100