“nice”

La Botella de Leche Hostel
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed during the off season so when the owner saw that we were on the fence if we wanted to stay here or the one next door, she made the choice easy by lowering the price.
Our priv room had a large bed and a bunk bed, the bathroom was nice, cute lil whimsical touches here and there.
Our room was tidied up, everyday, whether we like it or not. >.o;; id rather
We actually were not fond of the (plus ac was missing its remote) aircon and asked for a fan, when the owner found out she was really worried and insisted that we used the ac. such a sweety.
(+)
Hammock right in front of your room
Picnic style table and chairs in front of your room
air conditionare available

(-)
so many rules.. no hanging clothes in front of your room and etc
kitchen is not desirable to cook in

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I was there for 2 weeks. Good price for a single bedroom, about 250m from the beach. Difficult to find, they dont really use adresses in Costa Rica, but its the immediate neighbor of Pura Vida hostel. The place was good to meet people and the swimming pool is a nice touch but the dogs drink from it. Expect lots of dog and cats begging for food when you eat. The rooms are not very clean but standard for CR. Room service almost worthless. No hot shower, only unheated running water. AC off from 9-20h. The place can get noisy after 11pm, the security guard likes to watch loud football games early mornings. BUT THE WORST IS THE KITCHEN! Pans are all encrusted with dirty stuff and spin around the handle (good luck cooking with that), fridge is barely cooling, food/drinks always get eaten by someone else, garbage always full with many insects flying around, owner's animals beg for food. I cooked only once, stick to restaurants if you stay at this hostel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank DamienFou
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

This hostel was a fun place to stay in. The owner and staff were very friendly and helpful. They cleaned the dorm rooms daily...each dorm room had AC at night which was an unexpected amenity for $10 a night. The bathroom, while in the dorm room which was great, needed a scrub. Kitchen was fairly stocked with pots/pans/dishes. It was straightened up daily, but needed a little extra cleaning love. Overall, this place was pretty cool (stayed a week) and I would recommend staying here if you want to be away from the noise of "downtown" Tamarindo.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed July 26, 2012

For the price, it's decent. Personally, when another traveler says "which pan" and the choice is one with stuff encrusted on it and the other doesn't even have a flat surface, I can't really raise my recommendation above decent. A/C is turned off during the day in the rooms. Crammed in like sardines in the dorm room. Far from the beach. Stayed there for five nights; saw the owner a handful of times and the one time I did ask her for a recommendation, she acted like I was imposing on her. Oh, and they took the towel I brought from home; when I told them this, they said they'd look for it... apparently they must still be looking...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

As sOon as we checked in the lovely host said "just jump in the pool and then we will get you checked in"! It was very hot that day! The rooms are very clean and comfortable at a very reasonable price. We stayed in 2 previous hostels in town which were terrible compared to this and roughly the same price. I would definitely come back here.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about La Botella de Leche. I stayed for 4 nights and enjoyed every moment. I switched from a hotel on the beach in Tamarindo and legitimately preferred this location. Marianna, the host, is absolutely lovely (she even went out of her way to help me fix my bikini top) and her family is as well (dogs and all). I had an amazing surf lesson with her son, Juan, which topped a lesson I had taken a week prior from a top rated shop in Nicaragua. Great times! Great people! HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! :)

Room Tip: If you have a friend to share with, get a private room. If not, the shared rooms are good too.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I stayed at botella de leche for almost two weeks. It's owned by an Argentinian family. I felt like I was at home most of the time. The staff is genuine and pleasent. A/C in every room, comfortable beds, pool, and big communal kitchen.

If you stay here, ask about sailing on the Antares. Its an experience you won't forget.

• Stayed: May 2012