“Middle of the Road”

La Botella de Leche
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
“Middle of the Road”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

For the price, it's decent. Personally, when another traveler says "which pan" and the choice is one with stuff encrusted on it and the other doesn't even have a flat surface, I can't really raise my recommendation above decent. A/C is turned off during the day in the rooms. Crammed in like sardines in the dorm room. Far from the beach. Stayed there for five nights; saw the owner a handful of times and the one time I did ask her for a recommendation, she acted like I was imposing on her. Oh, and they took the towel I brought from home; when I told them this, they said they'd look for it... apparently they must still be looking...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

As sOon as we checked in the lovely host said "just jump in the pool and then we will get you checked in"! It was very hot that day! The rooms are very clean and comfortable at a very reasonable price. We stayed in 2 previous hostels in town which were terrible compared to this and roughly the same price. I would definitely come back here.

• Stayed June 2012
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about La Botella de Leche. I stayed for 4 nights and enjoyed every moment. I switched from a hotel on the beach in Tamarindo and legitimately preferred this location. Marianna, the host, is absolutely lovely (she even went out of her way to help me fix my bikini top) and her family is as well (dogs and all). I had an amazing surf lesson with her son, Juan, which topped a lesson I had taken a week prior from a top rated shop in Nicaragua. Great times! Great people! HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! :)

Room Tip: If you have a friend to share with, get a private room. If not, the shared rooms are good too.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

I stayed at botella de leche for almost two weeks. It's owned by an Argentinian family. I felt like I was at home most of the time. The staff is genuine and pleasent. A/C in every room, comfortable beds, pool, and big communal kitchen.

If you stay here, ask about sailing on the Antares. Its an experience you won't forget.

• Stayed May 2012
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

I started out at the Pura Vida Hostel, but I soon moved over to Botella de Leche after randomly walking inside to check it out. Tamarindo is a hot, hot place, so the fact that the rooms have A/C and they have a great pool is greatly appreciated. At first, it may seem like you're far away from the main road and the beach (5 minute walk), but I think it's better this way because the main road can get pretty noisy. I'd say the bathrooms and kitchen are just okay, but everything else is great and more than makes up for this. Also, the people who run this place are super friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Adam A
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

We found this hostel's website in our Central America guidebook and gave them a call to make a reservation. Upon arrival, we were checked into a small private room, it had 1 double bed, bathroom and a very old looking air conditioner. We found a lot of ants in the bathroom so we asked if there was another room - I am soooo glad we did!! Room #7 was a million times better. It was large, had a double bed and a bunk bed, small refrigerator, ceiling fan, modern split system a/c and decent bathroom. We had this room for 3 nights for $36USD per night. Even though it was hot outside, the room was cool. Note: A/c is only switched on after 6pm - we found the fan cool enough during the day though.

The hostel is lovely, it has a kitchen (did not use) and TV in the common area and a lovely pool in the middle. It was nice to have a dip but did get crowded when larger groups came in. There was some noise at night but everyone seemed to abide by the 'silence after 11pm' rule. I had no trouble sleeping.

We took a surf lesson from Francisco which was a lot of fun. It was our first time and Francisco explained everything for us in English and was very helpful and supportive on the water. We even managed to stand up a few times too. At $30USD it is the cheapest in the area - most of the surf shops are $45.

All in all, a great choice for Tamarindo

Room Tip: Try to get a room towards the back; the rooms on the right side as you walk in are smaller and older
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

This is a great hostel, we met so many amazing new friends here. The cleanliness and the kitchen is what you can expect when staying at a hostel, but you have everything you need. Hammocks everywhere and every room has a little sitting area outside the door. Every room has its own bathroom (rare in hostels). The pool is a big plus, the water is very cold, which is nice after a hot day on the beach! Stay here if you want to meet new people and have fun, not if you want to relax and sleep a lot.

Room Tip: If you can, choose a room for 4 people and not the biggest ones with 10.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple