All reviews private room super chill costa rica surf lessons shared dorm place to stay an absolute blast super close to the beach moment you arrive air conditioning communal kitchen second home great ac great kitchen quiet location pura vida our home away from home
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I had such a great time I thought I would break the habit and leave some feedback. I met some awesome people there and Chris and Anne the hosts were a blast! Stayed in a private room at the top - super clean and nice. Of all the hostels in South/ central america that i stayed at tamarindo def had the best atmosphere. Highlight of my trip! Thanks guys see you soon

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Staff is very personable and attentive to your needs, and have all the resources right there for you to find everything in Tamarindo you may want to do from surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling, places to eat, night life, basically anything you want they have the resources right there. My fiance and I went turtle spotting, snorkeling, boat rides, hiking, days at the spa, off grid hiking and cliff jumping all thanks to the hostel. The vibe and atmosphere is very friendly and if you are looking to make new friends, you will have no trouble finding them here. Rooms are kept up and cleaned daily. My guess is anyone who has a bad experience or a bad review either have never been to a hostel before and don't know what to expect or are the type of travelers who prefer to be catered to every step of the way never expecting to carry their own luggage. Oh and we felt VERY SAFE staying there, not a single worry. :) Pura vida.

Room tip: Private rooms are awesome.
Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2014

i was in the hostel four 12 days.. i did meet a few new friends ;) costa rika wass a really good experience to me, when i come back i will stay in backpackers hostel! its clean its safe and you can meet really good company i had the opurtunity to meet the owners they are super cool ;)
Tamarindo backpackers PURAVIDA!

Room tip: they have aircondition in all rooms 4 a good sleep :)
Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

My friends and I stayed in 3 different hotels throughout Costa Rica and this was by far the worst hostel we stayed in. The kitchen was disgusting and had pots and pans with leftover food left on the stoves and in the sink. There was a leak in the kitchen sink and water was all over the floor. The drain was also clogged. The bathrooms were not clean, had mud on the floors, rarely toilet paper. Also, when taking a shower on 2 different occasions, the water was cut off on my friend without any warning.
We expected a great time in Tamarindo based on reviews we had read of this place. The owner, Anne, was not there and when we complained, she was very apologetic and offered to have a maid clean our rooms, had a plumber fix the sink, and had a maid clean the bathrooms. I think that if she were there, it would have been a better experience for us but the staff managing the hostel while she was away did not manage the hostel properly. After the maid cleaned, the kitchen was dirty again within a few hours. Anne offered to move us to a different room with a private bathroom but the staff claimed that he could not find the key (only to rent it out to another group I people a day later).
We asked if we could leave the hostel and get a refund for our remaining time but the management would not let us get money back.
This hostel was extremely disappointing and I would not recommend staying here.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Padrienn
annietamarindo, Owner at Tamarindo Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Adrienne thank you for staying with us and I'm sorry you did not have the experience you were hoping for. I am a little bummed by your review because we did absolutely everything possible to improve your stay. I was in email contact with you constantly. We fixed the plumbing problem the day we became aware of it, which is why the water was turned off momentarily. All plumbing is working perfectly now. We did offer you a more expensive room at no extra charge and you declined to move the day we offered it, which was why out was rented out. In addition, my receptionist and chef Daniel woke up early to go to the store to make you and your friends a free breakfast (paid for by me) to apologize for the plumbing issues. The hostel is a 50 year old hacienda and sometimes things break and need to be repaired, which we always take care of. Whenever there are issues, my staff and I do our best to keep everyone happy. I would like to point out also that you extended your stay by one night, which we gave to you for FREE. Customer service is our #1 priority and I'm sorry you didnt feel like we lived u to your expectations.

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my fiancée for 4 days while traveling. We were both extremely well looked after and didn't have any issues with the cleanliness of the hostel. The location was perfect with only a few minutes walk to the beach.
The staff at Tamarindo Backpackers really did make our traveling experience and we will be back as soon as possible, thank you so much love stu n jenny x

1  Thank Stu1004