“Great atmosphere and amazing staff.”

Tamarindo Backpackers
“Great atmosphere and amazing staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hostel is fab, the staff are all super friendly and helpful and it has a great relaxed atmosphere.
I stayed for over a week whilst at spanish & surf school and had a great time.(and they always helped me with my homework). It's clean, nice rooms and comfortable beds. And well equipped kitchen. Swimming pool is a nice added bonus.
Wish I could go back now!

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Tamarindo Backpackers is the perfect hostel! Nice, spacious dorms with A/C included in the price, clean bathrooms and very nice kitchen. The best part is the beautiful outdoor swimming pool surrounded by deckchairs. The staff are so nice and play really good music all day. I only stayed 3 nights but I wish I could have stayed 3 weeks!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

This Hostel is very nice. Great people and very clean! I stayed there one week and I had a lot of fun! There is a big kitchen so we can cook there, the rooms are clean and there is possibility to have AC. There is a pool which is great when its very hot! The beach is at 5 minutes of walk and you can have surf lesson! The Main Street is near so you can go to the restaurant and go out at the bars by walk!

• Stayed March 2013
Ile du Cap aux Meules, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Would go back there anytime, one of my best stay in Costa Rica. Great place, close to the beach (about 3 minutes walking), clean, friendly, and with a pool.. What else do you need really? The dorms was good too, and with AC.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed in a private room for 3 nights, and at first glance everything was great. Everyone who worked there was super chill, friendly and ready to party with you.

Unfortunately there was a bat stuck in the ceiling of my room, and would flap around like crazy at night which kept me up (not to mention freak me out!). The shower was less than desirable -- the water pressure was so weak that you literally had to stand against the back wall to catch a dribble of water. The screen was broken on the window, and bats would fly in at night, so in the morning the shower was covered in bat droppings.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
annietamarindo, Owner at Tamarindo Backpackers, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

I'm so sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. Tamarindo Backpackers has new owners and we are on site almost all the time. We have hired a new cleaner, who works full time at the hostel as we are committed to having the cleanest and most comfortable hostel in Tamarindo. Please come back and visit us again so we can show you how much we've improved!
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

The guide book describes this as a hacienda and it is exactly this. Go surfing in the morning and then chill in the afternoon to tunes and beers by the pool in the sun: perfecto.

OK, so there's a little walk to get here but we're talking 10 minutes here so it's nothing any of us haven't don't before. But your reward is a safe, friendly and well above average hostel.

If you need another reason to choose here then the staff are the real gems. They will look after you and help you with anything you want - beer; surf instruction, doctor, fishing, restaurant recommendations - they could not have been more friendly or accommodating.

I'll be coming back here when I hit Tamarindo again.

• Stayed February 2013
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I booked for 3 nights here over New Year's Eve months in advance through the hostel's website, and was told a week before that they wouldn't honor my reservation. I was in Tamarindo early and luckily decided to check on my booking. The guy on reception when I asked to check told me that "Hoselworld didn't send the reservation through" (the hostel uses Hostelworld as their booking portal). This was obviously not the case, as I got an email from them later telling me they had a problem with a dorm and couldn't take my booking, and needed to return my deposit.

Their suggested alternative of somewhere to stay was not a realistic option as it was 3 times the price and required a 5 night minimum stay. They offered no other assistance, despite leaving me with nowhere to stay at the worst possible time of the year. I had to scramble to find somewhere at the last minute, which was not an additional stress I needed.

Also, the hostel is just about the furthest place to stay from the beach. I would recommend finding somewhere closer and more reliable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lilithangel
Dear guest,

I'm so sorry about what happened to you. Tamarindo Backpackers has new owners and we are on reception all day to make sure things like this never happens. We have a new system for tracking bookings and try to always be as helpful and happy as possible. Please come back so we can make it up to you!