“A GEM!”

Tamarindo Backpackers
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
“A GEM!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

The guide book describes this as a hacienda and it is exactly this. Go surfing in the morning and then chill in the afternoon to tunes and beers by the pool in the sun: perfecto.

OK, so there's a little walk to get here but we're talking 10 minutes here so it's nothing any of us haven't don't before. But your reward is a safe, friendly and well above average hostel.

If you need another reason to choose here then the staff are the real gems. They will look after you and help you with anything you want - beer; surf instruction, doctor, fishing, restaurant recommendations - they could not have been more friendly or accommodating.

I'll be coming back here when I hit Tamarindo again.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I booked for 3 nights here over New Year's Eve months in advance through the hostel's website, and was told a week before that they wouldn't honor my reservation. I was in Tamarindo early and luckily decided to check on my booking. The guy on reception when I asked to check told me that "Hoselworld didn't send the reservation through" (the hostel uses Hostelworld as their booking portal). This was obviously not the case, as I got an email from them later telling me they had a problem with a dorm and couldn't take my booking, and needed to return my deposit.

Their suggested alternative of somewhere to stay was not a realistic option as it was 3 times the price and required a 5 night minimum stay. They offered no other assistance, despite leaving me with nowhere to stay at the worst possible time of the year. I had to scramble to find somewhere at the last minute, which was not an additional stress I needed.

Also, the hostel is just about the furthest place to stay from the beach. I would recommend finding somewhere closer and more reliable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lilithangel
annietamarindo, Owner at Tamarindo Backpackers, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear guest,

I'm so sorry about what happened to you. Tamarindo Backpackers has new owners and we are on reception all day to make sure things like this never happens. We have a new system for tracking bookings and try to always be as helpful and happy as possible. Please come back so we can make it up to you!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed in Costa Rica for five weeks. This was my favorite place. I had a great time here and the rooms are very clean and the pool area is very very nice. Jessie gives a warm welcome to everybody who comes into her place. Right away I knew that I was going to extend my stay at this place. I met Uriele and we all wanted to cook and have barbecue grills together as a group. At this hostel you are welcome to have group barbecue grills together every night if you wish to and that was very happy to me as I am a sauce chef myself. We all had fun together and many of the guests gathered together and wanted to join in the group for the dinners and the barbecue grills. We had many big parties. All of the other guests are quiet after late time. It is a quiet place room where you will get good excellent sleep. I could have plenty of time to read or write in peace without all the noise and the parties of the street . I was very pleased .The atmosphere here at this place is so kind and so warm and makes you feel so good. The security here is 24 hours so you will always feel safe here. I know it is rare but there are monkeys that have came to my Hostel room right above the roof and I was able to film them here but i know that it is rare. The place is overall very warm very clean and it is a very nice place to stay I totally recommended it to many already. The beach is about a seven minute walk from this hostel. It is a magical place and I plan on returning in December of this year. Jessie and Carlos and Uriele, thank you for a warm welcome and a warm stay at this Great place that you have. Thank you for signing in my journal. I miss all of you already and I know that I will return.
Pura Vida
Your new friend Paul

Room Tip: Any room that you choose will be magical..................
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Paul H
Muncie, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Overall good experience, well located but a bit pricy forthe amenities provided. We had booked a room on hotel.com and no reservation recorded once arrived.... We do not know who messed up (website or hostel) but we both ended up on 1 bed in a dorm, on christmas eve... Staff is great, very kind and try to help as best as they can. Good ambiance, and recommended, if you call to ckeck that your booking is recorded !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Dorm room was clean, with aircon (remote stayed with reception). Pool nice, but small. Kitchen very average, It didn't tempt me to cook. Location is ok (close to supermarket and 10 walk from main beach) but as a single female, didn't feel comfortable walking into and back from main town at night, dimly lit, deserted (low season) streets. My main reason for being in tamarindo was to surf, and I ended up moving to another place across the road from the beach as it wouldn't have been fun carrying a board that far. Of course, I paid more for this privilege, so this is still a good value hostel.

• Stayed August 2012
As new owners we have added floodlights outside the main entrance and down the street for visibility and security. We also have bikes for guests to use! :)
Breckenridge, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hostel was great. Andre, the owner, was an amazing host helping out with everything from ordering food to helping book buses to other parts of Costa Rica. He also through a party for a large group of guests that stayed for a while. He provided food and drink all for free for the party. Overall this place just added to the great experience I had in Tamarindo and will definitely stay there again whenever I make another trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Trent O
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

From all the other reviews, I expected this place to be - by hostel standards - decent. However, the supposed a/c is turned off during the day and set at 80 F during the night. The kitchen is a joke; one fridge overpacked, dishes with stuff crusted on, and a stove with only one working burner, and no microwave. Place, they keep the music cranked up from noon onward. Even with earplugs in, I have to wait until after 11pm to be able to sleep. For the price, there are cleaner, quieter places closer to the beach. Okay as a last resort but not anyplace I'd go again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo