Tamarindo Backpackers
Hotel Tamarindo Diria(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$162
Bookit.com
Occidental Tamarindo(Playa Langosta)
$191
$169
  • Pool
Hotel Arco Iris(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$105
Great 4.5/5
Seis Playas Hotel(Huacas)(Great Value!)
$88
Great 4.5/5
Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$106
$59
$249
  • Pool
Los Altos de Eros(Tamarindo)
$495
$325
Orbitz.com
Excellent 5/5
Tamarindo Bay Boutique Hotel(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$110
Excellent 5/5
Hotel Nahua(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$55
Very Good 4/5
Hotel La Laguna del cocodrilo(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
$46
$43
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsprivate roomsuper chillsurf lessonscosta ricashared dormplace to stayan absolute blastsuper close to the beachair conmoment you arrivesecond homeawesome surfgood vibesa great place to meetgreat friendsstayed dayspura vida
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Dorm room was clean, with aircon (remote stayed with reception). Pool nice, but small. Kitchen very average, It didn't tempt me to cook. Location is ok (close to supermarket and 10 walk from main beach) but as a single female, didn't feel comfortable walking into and back from main town at night, dimly lit, deserted (low season) streets. My main reason for being in tamarindo was to surf, and I ended up moving to another place across the road from the beach as it wouldn't have been fun carrying a board that far. Of course, I paid more for this privilege, so this is still a good value hostel.

• Stayed: August 2012
annietamarindo, Owner at Tamarindo Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

As new owners we have added floodlights outside the main entrance and down the street for visibility and security. We also have bikes for guests to use! :)

Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hostel was great. Andre, the owner, was an amazing host helping out with everything from ordering food to helping book buses to other parts of Costa Rica. He also through a party for a large group of guests that stayed for a while. He provided food and drink all for free for the party. Overall this place just added to the great experience I had in Tamarindo and will definitely stay there again whenever I make another trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Trent O
Reviewed July 26, 2012

From all the other reviews, I expected this place to be - by hostel standards - decent. However, the supposed a/c is turned off during the day and set at 80 F during the night. The kitchen is a joke; one fridge overpacked, dishes with stuff crusted on, and a stove with only one working burner, and no microwave. Place, they keep the music cranked up from noon onward. Even with earplugs in, I have to wait until after 11pm to be able to sleep. For the price, there are cleaner, quieter places closer to the beach. Okay as a last resort but not anyplace I'd go again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sarah G
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Going into a hostel is normally never my first choice but we ended up here, and were so happy with our stay that we would definitley go again. The manager was so friendly and hospitable, he cooked bbqs, knew local food and party spots, and helped us in every way possible. The rooms were clean, the living area was clean and friendly and I felt safe in this gated hostel. When we left, he gave us 11 lemons to make some delish lemonade that he had provided in the mornings from their very own lemon tree and we made the best vodka lemonades out of it ;) Totally recommend it! (Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the manager, but he manages all of the backpackers hostels in Costa Rica! Awesome dude.)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Katherine B
Reviewed June 14, 2012

With a crew of 6 people, this place was clean, had air conditioning with remote so you could control it, great staff, great location and all the amenities we needed. Planned to stay only one night and ended up staying 4. I felt safe getting to and at the hostel. There was a door man at night to buzz us in and staff there throughout the day.

The staff even threw a BBQ for the guests and allowed us to stay past check out time when our transit was late leaving.

Room Tip: Pick a room by the pool instead of by the kitchen as I found them to be cooler.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends