“Tamarindo Backpackers is the best hostel I have ever stayed at”

Tamarindo Backpackers
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Hands down, Tamarindo Backpackers is the best hostel I have ever stayed at.

When I first showed up at Tamarindo Backpackers, I was immediately greeted by great staff, a great vibe with chill reggae sounds playing throughout the day, and the cleanest hostel I have ever seen. The grounds were lush and pristine, there were lots of hammocks and lounge chairs to relax in, the dorms were spotless (including the large, bright washroom inside the dorm room) and they were kept cool with AC (you can control the AC from inside the dorm). The beds were really comfortable, and the large rooms give everyone tons of space to move around. There is a full kitchen for all your cooking needs, the swimming pool was always kept really clean and warm, and it was only a very short walk to the beach and into town. The security in this hostel is better than I have ever seen. This hostel exceeded every one of my needs.

In addition to the superior amenities, the staff at Tamarindo Backpackers, Allan and Alejandra, were by far the greatest people I met the entire 3 weeks I was in Costa Rica. Before getting into Tamarindo, I thought I would only stay for a day or 2 and then keep moving south. It was because of Allan and Alejandra that I stayed for 10 nights! In addition to having a tremendous knowledge about Tamarindo and Costa Rica in general, they were funny, cool, kind, professional, charismatic and inspiring. I can honestly not say enough great things about Allan and Alejandra. They were the best company I had on my entire trip. By far, Tamarindo Backpackers had the best vibe and the best people of any other hostel I have ever stayed at.

I would recommend this hostel to anyone traveling through Costa Rica. They will definitely see me again very soon.

LG
Toronto, Canada

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed December 12, 2011

I was there just after a refurb had taken place and unfortuntely it was not finished. The wifi wasnt installed, there were no computers and the tv area had no sofas. instead i was forced to watch the tv from the hard wooden chairs around the dining table. the dorm and bathroom itself were clean and comfortable, and the a/c worked well. good atmosphere. the pool was clean and a great relief after a days travel from nicaragua. the guy working behind reception Alan was a great guy, good source of info and a friendly person. Just a shame about the unfinished work as i was still paying full price.

Room Tip: Dorm 2 is very spacious with a great bathroom
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I was planning to stay exclusively with the costa rica hostel network on my trip, and had great experiences at the Alajuela, Monteverde and Arenal. We arrived in Tamarindo and just walking in to Tamarindo Backpackers gave me a bad feeling...not sure why! Aparently my gut just knows when I'm about to have a bad experience. The grounds were cute so that wasn't it. The pool is about the size of a hot tub--it is not at all for swimming, though. This hostel is nothing like Arenal.

We were taken to our private room which was on the 2nd floor of the main house (I think this hostel was a house/grounds converted into a hostel.) ... it was SO SO SO HOT. It was hot as it was, being in Tamarindo in April and at the tail end of the dry season. We couldn't stay in our room at all that afternoon, it was just miserable. I inquired about the promised air conditioning and advised it would not be turned on until 11pm. We went to the beach and out and about all evening and didn't come back until after 11. I had to ask the security guard to turn it on--I promise it was just horribly hot and uncomfortable...ugh. I woke up a couple hours later and the A/C was off and I was in a pool of sweat. I couldn't find the security guard anymore so I searched and found the control (FYI, behind the TV downstairs) and turned it back on. Had a horrible rest of the night waiting too cool down. MISERABLE.

Somewhere during the night I decided it was worth losing the money we pre-paid for the next 2 nights. I can't believe they charge people 'extra' (ie, for the private room) that is on the second floor in a miserably HOT location. And then to turn off the AC...bull****.

My boyfriend and I went out the following morning and found / booked at Villa Macondo for $55/night--this included our own villa with air conditioning, a full size bed and a twin size bed, our own bathroom and a little fridge--room also had an alarm clock with radio and TV. Villa Macondo was great! Nice staff from all over the world, mature foliage on the grounds and a nice pool. There was also a nice internet room at Villa Macondo and a shared kitchen. Villa Macondo was a lifesaver! Thank goodness we stumbled Upon the GEM.

Bottom line, Tamarindo Backpackers gets 2 thumbs down--I do NOT recommend it. I'm not out there looking for the most expensive, luxurious place--like I said, I enjoyed the rest of the Costa Rica Hostel Network and I've written good reviews for Monteverde and Arenal. But to put your customers that paid the most up into the hottest room and then not even keep the AC on after 11pm during the hottest days Tamarindo sees... that is just bad service. I'm so very happy we left that hostel and I'm glad we found Villa Macondo! I also wish I could get my $60 back from Tamarindo Backpackers, since I had to leave because of the poor conditions. Would be nice if they contacted me for a refund, but I'm sure that will not happen.

Room Tip: do no book! find villa macondo, close pricing!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Tamarindo Backpackers hostel has its ups and downs as well as the town itself. The hostel is a few maybe 3 or 4 blocks from the beach a short walk.
I have been on the road for a LONG time now and one of the nice parts about this hostel is the pool is really clean...No bugs and you can smell the chemicals in the pool its not just a pool of warm water.
The grounds are great hammocks, lounge chairs and tables.
Bad part.....IF you are in the main house it is more than hot it is unbearable. They do have AC it is turned on between 11pm till 8am..One day it was turned off at 6:30 am and the house will heat up within a half hour.
The staff did turn on the AC at 10pm due to the fact that all the folks in the house wanted to go to bed.
We had the room upstairs.....GOOD room TV, Large frig. and shelfs..Oh but it gets hot the fastest.
Monkeys in the trees and large frogs...
Great staff..oh and great tunes played in the courtyard

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2010

A 5minute walk from the supermarket and the beach.
It is clean, feels safe, has a nice pool and hammocks to relax in. Friendly staff and chillout music. A good option and only $10 per night!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 24, 2010

i great hostel, clean, secure and perfect for meeting other travellers. kitchen was big and clean, hammocks were nice and the little pool to freshen up in was key. people running it were nice too and always had good relaxing tunes playing. $10 a night

Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 2, 2009

The backpackers seems very new and clean from the outside and the general living areas. We booked a private double room and the single beds and linen inside were very old and dirty. The reception guy was also unable to help with anything we asked - taxis, booking other hostels and some other advice. Very mediocre hostel compared to others I´ve been in Costa Rica and all over the world....

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple