“Great food and service”

Ranked #42 of 193 Restaurants in Tamarindo
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: This setting could just as well be in LA or Paris; beautiful teak terracing, all handmade wood furnishing and the shining cobber from the bar and the lamps give that warmth and good feeling we all enjoy. The wait staff takes pride in being members of Team Coconut for years. It is their personalized attention that permits them to remember each client and their likings. Nowhere else will you feel as Welcome and Well attended as here. Every day the same words are repeated "The Client is the King". At El Coconut you will also find a truly professional kitchen where the main ingredients are "Heart & Soul". Who could be able to resist an Avocado filled with sauteed Shrimps, A Tropical Lobster prepared with fresh pineapple, raisins and ginger or not to forget the Surf & Turf even big enough to satisfy the hungriest surfer. Where else in Costa Rica would you find a temperate wine cellar of almost 1000 bottles? Nowhere that we know of. Our wine selection goes from the easy drinking Latin American table wines to finer selections such as Chateau Neuf du Pape, Penfold 389 and many more. Our seating capacity is more than 100. We are used to and truly enjoy arranging your special events; be that "The President's Club", incentive dinners, rehearsal dinners or weddings. Let us make your night that special night.
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had a great experience at El Coconut located right across from the Witch's Rock Surf Camp. The restaurant was recommended to us by a local and they were spot on! The service was impeccable and our waiter's English was as good as any American. We had the Mahi appetizer and the Mahi dinner. Both were fantastic. The owner of the restaurant stopped by to make sure we were happy with our food and service which was a nice touch.

There are newer reviews for El Coconut

Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I decided to splurge on our last night in Tamarindo. We had walked by the restaurant several times, but never went in. We have a somewhat difficult diet in that we are completely plant-based. This had been somewhat of a challenge while in Cost Rica as you can only eat so much Gallo Pinto as a gringo. We were greeted by the owner who was not only very attentive, but also worked with us to create dishes that met our dietary needs.

As a bonus, they had a very nice wine list and we were able to enjoy a nice Burgundy premier cru from Santenay. They also had a very pleasant acoustic guitar duo for entertainment that night.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

This team is trained. It seemed like a party was happening at this restaurant. Large groups surrounded my family of four. They handle it very well though; I was impressed. I wasn't bothered by the noise like I usually am - probably because their entertainment they provide was so great that night. If your hotel recommends this restaurant, I say go for it! If you like seafood, go for it! I had one of their shrimp dishes. I am a fan! They didn't disappoint me. I am picky with shrimp too. My family isn't of the drinking type, but they had plenty to choose from. However, if you're on a budget, I don't suggest it. Compared to other places we visited, it was a little pricey - but still enjoyable food and company.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Went with a group of 30, and they handled our large group wonderfully. I had the passion fruit margarita, which was delicious! Also had the mahi mahi appetizer, it was a spin off of ceviche, super delicious. For the main course I had the mussels and spaghetti. Highly recommend El Coconut for anyone looking for amazing food and good atmosphere.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

After a long day of sun and surfing, it was great to sit on the beautiful open deck of El Coconut. The menu offers a prix fix or a la carte. The service was great and the host gave us great recommendations.

This place was right across from witches rock.