“Very good--but stick with the Seafood”

La Laguna Beach Front Dining and Bar
Cuisines: Costa Rican, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located on the main road to down town Tamarindo, La Laguna has a beautiful setting in front of the ocean in a garden full of nature, perfect for sunsets and dinners under the stars, ideal for couples, families and friends.
Reviewed March 3, 2012

5 of us ate there recently (March 2012) and I would give it 4.8 out of 5!! The 4 other members had some type of seafood and they LOVED it!! Cerviche was out of this world, tuna was perfect, Red snapper a dream!! Me on the other hand had a Tbone steak and it was fine, nothing to complain about, it was just fine! Not a bad thing, but not something I would write home about. But everyone else was VERY happy with their meals and they said they would be more than happy to return!! The waiter, which I believe is 1 of the owners is a very nice chap, very polite and courteous and made 1 feel welcome. The setting is outside and has a very unique feel to it. We rather enjoyed ourselves! Prices were quite reasonable as well.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Outdoor atmosphere was pretty. Food was mediocre and overpriced. People were nice, but the service was slow and inconsistent. Seems kind of like it was run by a group of teenagers.

We had a large group, and literally had to wait for another large table to finish so they could wash their plates (hopefully) and serve our dinners. They also had hardly any glassware and needed to get empty glasses from our table to fill new drink orders.

May have had a better experience dining as a couple, but I'll never know.

lovelalaguna, Propietario at La Laguna Beach Front Dining and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

Thanks for your review.
First we want to clarify with you and our readers that we have enough glassware and plates to serve 100 people in our restaurant. You waited because first: you were late on your reservation which we nicely kept for 40 minutos, and second: your party number was more than for what the reservation was made for, I don´t know if your concierge did the reservation wrong. At your arrival we already have other reservations, that arrived on time, so in any other place you will have to wait, your wait was of 30 minutes on your main course, not counting that not everybody on the table order an appetizer, so the wait for does that didnt order one felt longer for sure.
On the other hand we got very nice comments from your table on the food, and I will like you to definy me overprice when the main courses in your tables were $18 each, and actually people in your party told the plates were to big.
So your wait wasn´t because we didnt have enough plates, it was because that happens when you are not on time.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

The fish, tuna, snapper, seabass or ceviche, was really good. Same for the margaritas. Not so for the service. Pleasant people but they might be under-staffed.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Great place
Incredible view i felt like in the final scene of Vanilla Sky (wishing i had penelope cruz here)

I ORDER the ceviche still looking for more flavor in my mouth :/
Very but very good plate! Very well served!

At the end i order a black coffe (you will asume that costa rica being on of the top five exporters of the world of coffee every place should have good one ) well they serve me in a french coffee maker 20pts! And with a little twist of amaretto that make my dinner one of my top five!

I will be back exelent service and very affordable prices!

Reviewed January 19, 2012

Great location, poor food quality and drinks for such a high price !
Went here because the reviews were good & I'd never been. Needless to say, I will never return. Place was empty, but waitress/(co-owner?) made comment that not to worry b/c it was empty, sometimes it scares people off, but she had a big reservation for 9pm. I wasn't planning on turning around b/c it was empty, but maybe i should have!

Appetizer: Trio de Mariscos Ceviche. The Yucca fries that came on top of this were the best part, the ceviche was so-so (i make better at home!) and it was $11 for a martini glass full. We didn't get any spoons or crackers/bread/chips to eat it with and the yucca fries were thin so you couldn't actually put the ceviche on them

Drinks: I ordered a Mango Margarita to drink: ($7) it came out soooo sour that I had to send it back (tasted like a sh*tload of lime juice or sour mix). It came back diluted with more mango and triplesec. At least it tasted more like mango, not so much like margarita. And it even had some mango skin pieces in it. I couldn't even finish it ~ bleh
Shawn ordered Merlot~ smart choice, since you can't screw that up

Main courses: My bf ordered the Casado (typical Tico dish of meat, rice, beans, yucca, fried plantains, salad )b/c it came with a quality cut of meat, tenderloin. The portions of sides didn't even compare with other places for the price and were not as good as everywhere else we've been. As for the meat he was so excited for, they drenched it in steak sauce, and the meat (i had a bite) itself was less than appetizing. For $15 for a casado this was crap.

I got the seafood pasta (mussels, calamari, clams, shrimp). $25 for a plate, not much food. The sauce was good, but the mussels & calamari were overcooked and rubbery. No sides.

By this time, we definitely did not want to see what was in store for dessert, so we skipped it and got the check. $83 later (!!) we peaced out
This place needs some SERIOUS Quality Control & needs to drop their prices

p.s. We left at 9:20, and the place was still empty...so much for her reservations, or maybe she said that to keep us there

Oh, & they played crappy N*Sync/Backstreet Boys type music :/

1  Thank monica D
lovelalaguna, Owner at La Laguna Beach Front Dining and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2012

Dear Customer
thanks for your review, it give us the opportunity to clarify to our customers some very important points. First the yucca sticks serve on the ceviche are not made for put on top the food that is why the size is not the size of a craker, a lot of people and places serve ceviche with crakers but we dont do it. Second the Casado your boyfriend had is serve with Prime Quality Ribeye Steak not the quality of meat you will have in another places were is cheaper because that sam reason.
A mango Margarita will be sourand we werent playing Back STreet BOys music, our sound system was down by the time of your visit so there wasnt music playing maybe was played in the next door bussiness or houses and being an ooen air restaurant you can listen sometimes other peoples music....And you have a fork to eat your ceviche, wich is allow to be eaten like that not necessarly a spon
Thanks