“Wedding/ Honeymoon”
Review of Hotel Playa Negra

Hotel Playa Negra
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed June 22, 2012

My husband and I recently got married here! It was fantastic! Of course I did a ton of research before picking the spot, but was still pleasantly surprised once we arrived! The bungalows are very clean, have plently of outlets and screens and shades on all of the windows. The suites have a small deck and hammocks and tables outside as well. The staff is extremely courteous and helpful. Zoe made sure the wedding itself was a success, Renan was great with the reservations and checked in from time to time to make sure we were all confortable throughout the stay, and Pablo, the chef, did an outstanding job! The meals from the restaurant were comparably priced to what would we pay here, but the quality was so much better. I didn't eat anything there that wasn't amazing! Rather than pay cash all the time, they keep a tab going and put it on your bill (like a cruise ship) and you pay for your room and meals, excursions, etc at check out. They also offer great excursions. We, as a group of about 20 went on the canopy tours and had a blast! Well worth the $50 which included transportation there and back as well. They also have massages for $40! I don't think anyone in our party had a single complaint about this place. Even the beach was great. Right out front there were a lot of waves, but if you walk about 100 yards to the left the water is so calm! A very great place if you want to avoid the tourism and just have a good time relaxing or adventuring rather than shopping. We all can't wait to return! LOVE IT!

Room Tip: If you do not like the heat, be sure to get a suite equipped with AC. I personally slept well with j...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jessica S

Reviewed June 20, 2012

My sister was just married here. I can't imagine it being any better, except maybe air condition in more of the huts. BUT, the lack of AC was not that big a deal because there was always a nice breeze blowing through the slatted windows and yes, they had screens. The people were all great, and very willing to help, even through language barriers. The restaurant was amazing!! I have never been anywhere where everything I tried was better than I could have imagined. The convenience of everything was also super. The beach was beautiful and provided the perfect gazing spot for the sunset. The pool was always perfect and conveniently located right next to the restaurant.
If you made a purchase on-site you could bill directly to your hut, so everything could be paid at once. And, when you do pay, they provide you with every receipt so you know there are no mistakes. The surf shop was very reasonably priced, and the Playa Negra staff was always out and about and visible. I would definatly go back, and if I weren't married already, I'd go here for my wedding! I could not have been a better, more relaxing time!

Room Tip: AC might be handy in the warmer months, but if you can't get a room with AC, don't let it st...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LuvMyThreeKiddos
Reviewed June 12, 2012

If you are looking for luxury, look elsewhere. This is a quintessential surf spot - one of the best spots in Costa Rica, in my opinion. These are simple huts, with no a/c or nice amenities...just perfect little cabinas, literally steps from the sand. You can't beat the price, though I think it has gone up since we first visited in 2006. When we first visited, the plumbing was having issues, but it wasn't anything too unbearable. There are howler monkeys everywhere and they are quite loud - while I consider this a plus, be warned...they wake up EARLY. :)

If you are not a Costa Rica buff, you must try renting a car and cruising the country. Lola's, just north of Playa Negra, is fantastic food, right on the sand. Hotel Playa Negra has its own little restaurant, but we stayed 10 days and needed a change of pace. My husband speared a huge rooster fish while we were there and the restaurant cooked it for us fantastically (we shared with all the locals that like to hang out there). There is also a little Peruvian place in town that has AMAZING food, and also a pizza joint. The people of this town appreciate your kindness - rude, demanding travelers NOT WELCOME. This is a laid back, easy going lifestyle and if you can't slow down and appreciate it, you should find a Marriott.

Down south of Playa Negra is a great little town with lots of hostels called Malpais. Party town, so maybe not 100% appropriate for kids, though I did see quite a few. There is also a little town called Nosara - very hip, very spirit-centered yoga town. Loved it.

As far as activities go, there used to be a young guy named John that lived there and took us on a kayak tour. Totally informal, but that's what I loved about it. He really knows his stuff and we saw several local animals on our little tour.

Room Tip: The ocean is quite loud in the morning, so if you aren't the 'early rising surfer', get...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SurfBum79
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We have travelled quite a bit from shoestring camping, and now with a toddler. Hotel playa negra is a great place to stay, it has everything, location in front of a surf spot, pool, turn-down service, beautiful landscape, but our only complaint comes from the onsite restaurant, not very friendly staff (after trying to speak the native language, and being social) and food that is expensive and very mediocre at best. I'd head to cafe playa negra for meals, and especially the super friendly la vida buena pizzeria (more than just pizza) for better options.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Citysprout1012
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I absolutly loved my stay Hotel Playa Negra. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I stayed here with my fiance and we decided to get a suite bungalow and are very glad we did. The rooms were very clean, beds comfy and air conditioning worked well. Our room had a nice table with chairs, 2 hammocks and a second outdoor shower. The outdoor shower proved to be a great asset as the temperature was warm and a rinse down off was just what the doctor ordered. The hotel is a short walk to the beach and the restaurant, although a bit pricey, had a wonderful view and excellent food. We even ran into the owner one evening and he was very friendly and sincerely curious about our stay and contentment with his hotel. I didn't visit the pool much because the beautiful ocean was 10 feet away so why bother. The sunsets were amazing and the water very warm. We took a walk along the hotels dirt road entrance and had the greatest experience with local monkeys. It was not surprising to see Iguana's running around either. We names the one that lived by our cabina Esteban. I loved that the area did not feel so touristy. Very quiet and mellow. If you are a surfer I highly suggest this location but be very careful! I saw the beach at low tide and it was not for the novice surfer. If you are wanting technology this is not the place for you. If you enjoy spending your evenings reading in a hammock and listening to the local wild life you will love love love Hotel Playa Negra!

Room Tip: I highly suggest a suite. It offers more room and a larger deck area.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie O
Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is not my favorite part of Costa Rica but if you find yourself in Guanacaste on a budget and you want to surf all day, have a nice cool relaxing restaurant with surprisingly great, healthy food, a big fresh water pool right on the beach, and a thatch roof, cool little cabina to sleep in, this is a great choice.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingChimp
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We were looking for something small, on the beach and away from the crowds. This fit the bill perfectly. We enjoyed our stay and would love to go back. We are not surfers but took some lessons and just hung out on the beach watching. Wonderful time.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Playa Junquillal
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
#12 of 24 in Tamarindo

Been to Hotel Playa Negra? Share your experiences!