“A Great Casual Experience”
Review of Hotel Playa Negra

Hotel Playa Negra
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed April 15, 2011

We spent three nights in this wonderful spot. Most mornings we were the only people walking on the beach. We took surf lessons and loved the laid back atmosphere. The rooms are very basic (no phone, no tv, and very little water pressure) but none of that mattered - it was the perfect place to relax and enjoy the sun. When you are here you should definitely travel down the beach to Lola's for lunch - a must if in this area.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SMKKD

Reviewed March 28, 2011

We recently returned from a 10 day trip to Hotel Playa Negra. While I'd love to keep it a secret, I feel that I should share the love. The cabins are quaint, comfortable, and charming. We rented a smaller one, which did not have A/C, but the ceiling fans and open plantation shutters provided enough respite from the heat (windows are screened, so no bugs). There are no fridges in the smaller rooms, so bring a collapsible cooler if you want to do HH in your room. The food in the restaurant is excellent--we consumed many of our meals here as the prices were fair and the quality was tough to beat. I can't say enough about the staff--I actually miss everyone now that I am home. We left with hugs from everyone. The setting is unbelievable-- Playa Negra is a well known surfing spot and a legit reef break, NOT for beginners. The location is somewhat off the beaten path, so be prepared for long lazy days and quiet evenings--this is not the place to come if you are looking for a fiesta. This is where you come to relax and soak up the beauty of Costa Rica.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Hotel Playa Negra is minutes away from a salt and pepper coloured beach with streaks of black sand from the volcanic rock slowly being eroded by the surf. The bungalow suites are highly recommended for both their A/C and spaciousness. If traveling with a large group, it is recommended that you book the double-bungalow suite since it has an adjoining kitchen and plenty of deck space with hammocks and chairs. I have to say that our traveling party was incredibly impressed with the rooms. They are remarkably comfortable, clean, and well decorated. The support staff are also incredibly friendly and helpful. If you're a new surfer and looking for an excellent teacher, the hotel also employs a wonderful gentleman by the name of Manu. He is fluent in English, Spanish, and his native French and has run a surf school for many years. It can be difficult to travel to and from the hotel so keep this in mind if you don't want to be "marooned" on the resort. But if you want to surf and relax, it is a wonderful place to stay for a few days. Our only complaint was that the restaurant was out of several items when we were there and it was a bit pricey and not as good as the locale cuisine we were eating throughout the trip (but good as far as resort food goes and the bakery next door was pretty awesome for breakfast). Long story short, the beautiful (and affordable) rooms, the surf, and proximity to a lovely beach are the key selling points. Temper your expectations for food and consider your options for transportation. Anyone new to Costa Rica should also never forget the seasons (dry = jan to april, soggy = nov-dec, rainy = may to october) with regards to insect activity (if that bothers you don't go in the rainy and soggy times) and maximizing the potential of activities (water is warmer in the rainy but hiking is better in the dry).

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MarcusQ
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Playa Negra is a great surfing beach located around a half hour south of Tamarindo. If you’re looking for varsity waves this is your spot! My husband I ventured north Avellanas Beach and Tamarindo which are better for less experienced surfers. You will need a car to access these beaches as there’s no public transportation.

The accommodations are simple, clean, and spacious. The hotel is unpretentious, quiet, and removed from night life. We stayed in the new bungalows suites which we really enjoyed (several of them also have A/C). Even though you can’t see the water, you can hear the waves crashing on the beach which adds a nice ambiance. Other perks, include Yoga on Monday/Wednesday/Friday at 4pm as well as private instruction with Rosalie. We opted for a private session on our bungalow deck which we’d highly recommend. The massages are wonderful and reasonably priced. The food at the restaurant, which is on site, was excellent and some of the best we had while visiting Costa Rica.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 24, 2010

We just came back from a week in Costa Rica and 3 days at Hotel Playa Negra. If you are looking for an amazing beach that allows you to feel you are part of the community, this is the perfect option. The owners and staff were both friendly and very accomodating. If you are looking for a gated resort with spa products in the bathroom and 300 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets on the beds, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a beach where in the morning local fisherman cast their lines into the waves and you can take a moonlight swim after walking five minutes from your room this is where you will want to be. The open air restaurant has good food at reasonable prices and we went to the French bakery on site every day to buy our breakfast to eat on the porch of our bungalow. If you visit this part of Costa Rica make sure you take a side trip to the village of Guaitil. This village produces gorgeous handmade pottery whose traditional designs originate from their indigenous ancestors. The prices are incredible for the amount of work that goes into each piece. We made the mistake of visiting there on our last day so we did not have time to find a UPS location to ship home some of the bigger pots and items we would have liked to purchase. I wish we had taken a horse back ride on the beach, but I opted instead for a beach side massage. I wish we had had more time to stay there but will definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Let me start by saying, I love Negra and Hotel Playa Negra so much that my husband and I brought 80 people from the States down there in Nov 2008 for our wedding. We got married on the sand in front of the hotel and then had an amazing reception in the cafe. Hotel Playa Negra is one of my favorite places in the WORLD. And I have been a few places...

I don't know where to start the accolades for Hotel Playa Negra (and their Cafe). First, Location: I hate to write this review because I don't want everyone knowing about Los Pargos (Playa Negra)--my favorite town, wave and people in CR. The break at Negra is consistently good and although it can be crowded, you find just as many days when you are surfing by yourself or with a few friendly locals. Also good surfing on several beach breaks a few minutes away at Avellanas. The hotel is RIGHT on the beach and for those non-surfers, the is great shade form mangrove trees so you can stay on the sand all day or hang by their lovely pool. If you stay at the hotel, you really don't need to go anywhere if you don't want too. Everything you need is right there. Second, Food: the cafe is awesome and has everything from simple burgers and salads to more gourmet and regional items like langostina and ceviche (the best ceviche ever). Reasonable prices, good service and Lito and his family are the best hosts ever. Third, Accommodations: a couple of options here...in true Tico style, there are comfortable cabina bungalows in a perfect little cluster close to the restaurant and pool...a few steps from the beach. These are far better than a surf lodge, but still have a rustic feel. There are also several AMAZING BEAUTIFUL houses on the property that you can rent at extremely reasonable prices. And I mean BEAUTIFUL. Great if you are bringing the family down or coming with friends. Everything is decorated in what I would call a "sophisticated Tico" style. Modern touches make it comfortable for pickier tourists. Last, General Ambiance: you honestly don't get any better than this in CR or most anywhere. The first time my husband and I came to Negra (7 years ago), we left Negra after a week to explore the rest of CR and ended up back the at the end of our trip. Now we come down as often as we can and don't even bother to go anywhere else. And, like I said, love it so much we married there and brought half of L.A. down with us. Everyone who came fell in love with it just like we did.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2010

The big draw for this place is definitely the point break which can get jammed with people. There's a beach break off to the left if you're just learning, and the gift shop has boards for rent and can arrange lessons for you if you're interested. Also a plus are the giant restaurant and pool which look out on the break so you can kick back and have a beer watching the surfers if you're into vicarious living. Cabinas were nice though they're open air and close together so there's not really as much privacy as we found at the other places we stayed. Though if you're all about the surfing, this place is hard to beat.

We also spent some of our days on the down near Lola's where the namesake pig has alas gone to pork heaven, but fear not there is a new piglet in town by the name of Lolita who has taken on the roll of mascot!! This place is a landmark and not to be missed although I understand there will be another lolas being built up north. Ahhhh progress, you are a mixed bag.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Playa Grande Park Hotel
Playa Grande Park Hotel
#6 of 6 in Playa Grande
Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas

Been to Hotel Playa Negra? Share your experiences!