New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Merritt Island, Florida
“Always our favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife and I have been going to the "Iguana"since the early 90's,as it was always a favorite even as we watched CR become too "Americanized"for our taste(we live several months each year in Nicaragua),and just returned there after a 7 year absence .We were not disappointed!!
David still the owner,Roberto still there,and desk manager William(very helpful,and best of all,he answered e-mail in a rapid timely manner,a rarity for many places!),and Ana!Wish we could have brought her back with us-beside her "do any thing for you "personality,ask her to make a fruit punch(with or without rum!)GREAT!
No where will you beat the view at sunset,and,because we had a great low tide,walking the beach was very easy with great shelling.Other Ticos on the beach and all were friendly.
In our opinion,the food throughout the years has remained excellent and the choices are always varied and excellent.Those lucky enough to be there when David gets his grill going are in for a taste treat!
Since we spend lots of time in Central America,I would be remiss if I didn't comment on others complaints--rooms too plain,music too loud,place too remote,maid in our room,food not enough choices,AC too loud etc.--read your damn guide book and go where the masses go!,
The Iguana remains what it has always been-a great place,with amazing sunsets,off the beaten(trodden!!)Costa Rican path.We will continue to return!
I neglected to say we had friends with us who "loved the place!"

Room Tip: We like out by ocean
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Chris M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

A friend and I stayed here for two nights. The rooms were nice, although the walls were thin when a loud party is on the other side. The view is wonderful, including an amazing sunset and beaches to walk along. Surfers will like the waves, but a lot of walks that would make swimming a little iffy. The food was great one night we were there (I had the mussels with fettucini and it was some of the best I'd had). However the second night it must have been a different chef and it wasn't as good. When the place is full it can be a little loud at times, but overall a very nice hotel. Be aware the safes are a little iffy, although I never felt concerned for my belongings. Good water (warm and cold) and air conditioning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Beth M
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I would not stay in this hotel again.
Me and my family when to Costa Rica for vacation, and stayed at this hotel.
Staff was friendly, food ok, the view from our room Was beautiful. But my only thing and sad that spoiled our visit there was, that we didn't think of putting our money in a security box, we werent going to stay out that long either but when you are in the rain forrest things carrie away and we end up getting to our room late that day. we didnt want anyone to come in. but they still came to clean the room, and money was taking from us. When we when to talked to the owner the next day, after we have looked over and over through our things, he brought a bunch of excuses and send us to talk to the police and told us to get someone to come and finger print his employers.
At the end of it, he made us go to the main town and put a complaine but nothing was result. We pay for everything and most of my money was taking from my bag, that was hidding in with my passport :(... I don't like to write bad comments but if this was to happen to any other visitors to the place. At least you know that this happen before. Just be aware of your values. Put it in the safe box or take it with you... Namaste

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Miramama
Harpswell, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stopped here to watch the sunset and stayed for dinner. I had seafood rice which was very good and my husband had the comida tipica, good as well. Staff was welcoming from the get go, friendly and informative. attentive service, nice pool. I would recommend the dining. It is out of the way.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank RebeccaMaine
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Although my friends and I did not stay at the hotel itself, we still enjoyed several meals at Iguanazul. The employees were extremely friendly and accomodating and the food was positively delicious! My favorite dishes were the casado and the gallo pinto. If you stop by for breakfast, ask for Ana!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank justcallmemulan
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Hotel Iguanazul is located in a more rural area and is definitely worth the stay if you want to relax away from big crowds. The view is incredible and the food is fresh and amazing. All the staff that work there is extremely accommodating and informative and helped us with every request with a smile.We were there for my best friend's wedding and the manager,Roberto,and his staff went out of their way to make their day as special as possible. The rooms are not overly fancy and the hotel has more of a rustic feel, its a low key place with a lot of heart! We had to rely on the hotel and tour operators to drive us around and it can add up a bit so when we stay there again we would definitely rent a car.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that is not next to the restaurant. We were staying in rm10 and found it a bit n...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jorlana v
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I just stayed at the Hotel last week. We had a great time and the staff was awsome, food was great. We even had Thanksgiving dinner there with all the trimmings. They went out of thier way to make this a great experience for everyone there. This is three star accomidations with five star view and service what a great value.

Room Tip: Go ocean view !
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel El Castillo Divertido
Hotel El Castillo Divertido
#3 of 5 in Santa Cruz
JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Iguanazul? Share your experiences!