“Great relaxed place to stay in Samara”

Cabinas Villa Kunterbunt
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We stayed in the beachside cabin at Villa Kunterbunt for a few nights and loved it. The house itself is amazing, being secluded enough to enjoy essentially private beach access while also close enough to walk to "downtown" Samara by the beach. The place looks great, the rooms and bathrooms are clean and the owners Antje and Tommi are extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the area. The breakfast there is fantastic also. In addition, you can rent kayaks, snorkeling gear and dive charters directly from them so you don't have to run around town looking for other options. Definitely check out kayaking to the small island just offshore.
Anyone looking for a relaxed and slightly more private stay in Samara should look in to staying at Villa Kunterbunt

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Cabinas Villa Kunterbunt

Reviewed June 28, 2008

I spend 2 nights at one of the cheapest rooms of Villa Kunterbunt and enjoyed it very much. For 15$ I had a comfortable bed, a fan, lots of space for my stuff, nice bath and everything was absolutely clean (sure: may be there was an ant in my room -don`t remember, but I`m still alive and maybe you shouldn´t come to the tropics when these little fellas bother you to much!) .
But besides from these things which most people would take for granted I really enjoyed the relaxed and friendly atmosphere of this place. You see and feel the passion with which the two german owners run this nice little Hotel: every little Detail is designed and arranged lovingly: Paintings and colorfull artworks everywhere. Furthermore hammocks to relax in, a little pool, a little kitchen with cooled Coconuts for the guests in the (well working) refri!Last but not least the beatifull beach within spitting distance (you wouldn´t really want to spit on it because of its beauty) with its incredible sunsets. I can´t follow the critics of this other guy, maybe because I had a cheaper room. All I know is that I had a good time and nothing to complain in this cheaper one.
Oh yeah, the distance-from-town-thing: I had a bike and if you have a car you don´t have to worry about it. Even if you just have your feet: what is so bad about a nice 20 minute walk on a paradise-beach?

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 25, 2008

I think any evaluation should start with a few facts upfront.

You will never reduce the level of mosquitos (or ants) to zero. I can only say that I did not encounter any ants in my room, and the mosquito nets certainly kept those outside. I cannot say this for every other hotel I stayed in in Costa Rica, even very expensive ones. If you want to avoid ants or mosquitos completely, Costa Rica is not the place for you.

Anybody travelling through Costa Rica will note that you usually pay upfront, after having looked at the room. Again, I dont' see the point.

And if I am too dumb to read a map and too shy to ask and thus do not recognise that this hotel is located in a different area of the village, sorry, I would certainly not think of blaming the hotel. For me, the location a little bit outside of the village center was one of the major reasons to chose it.

The rooms were very clean and the water hot (no extra surchage whatsoever), and you can't say this about all other hotels in Costa Rica.

The bed was fine - again, I would certainly say preferable to most of the hotel beds I encountered in Costa Rica.

The couple who runs the place is not weird at all, but extremely helpul and considerate, and if you book a snorkeling trip with them, you get a decent briefing - which is also more the exception than the rule in Costa Rica.

If you want to relax at the beach, if you want something romantic, if you want something clean and reasonably priced (I looked at four other places in Samara before chosing this one!), this is the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Urs_8
Reviewed June 25, 2008

Once upon a time there was a hostel where everyone would feel at home with great people to make this place 'a home abroad' - this would be Cabinas Villa Kunterbunt.

We had the chance to stay there for a couple of days in May 2008. After having looked at several places in "downtown" Samara and even spent the night in one of them we immediately felt better once we spotted this 'out of town' place the next morning. The rooms were great: clean, nicely decorated and right by the ocean (if you choose the slightly more expensive beachhouse rooms). Tommi and Antje offered help with anything you would want to do; Antje even offered to replace a 'lazy husband' to take the canoe over to the beatiful island just some 20 min or so away :-). The canoe-trip was great and Antje gave some great advices (for free) regarding snorkelling tours (that you usually pay some good money for). You can rent canoes and snorkelling-equipment right there.

The best, however, was yet to come: we had the unfortunate experience of a car accident on Costa Rica's infamous roads. When standing in the pitch dark we called Tommi who picked us up right away (not forgetting to calm us down with a beer :-)) and helped us get organized with the police and the insurance company the next day. Antje was like a mother, taking care of our injuries. Thanks again for that, guys! You helped us so much.

Overall, great place to relax, calm down and enjoy the nature that is around you.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ITAK
Reviewed June 24, 2008

We had a wonderful time at Kunterbunt. We stayed several days during our honeymoon, and wished we had stayed several more. The hosts are wonderfully sweet, honest and helpful; the rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable; the balcony with private hammock, chairs and table are very relaxing (and just what we needed); and the beach has an amazing texture and view of the sunset. I think one of my favorite memories of Costa Rica is the hosts' dog excitedly rubbing his back all over my husband while he gently rocked in the beach-side hammock.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank okni0001
Reviewed June 16, 2008

In 2005 it was the first time that Tom stayed for a few days at the Hotel Villa Kunterbunt in Samara. And it was clear for us that we will go back to this beautiful place during our Around the World Trip in 2007. We first planned to stay for about 3 days, but there are so many nice things to do, and the atmosphere is just perfect, that after three weeks we really had to say goodbye to continue our trip. A lot of times since then we think back to this three weeks, and we really have to say, that this place was one of the best the whole year long. Our next trip to Samara and the Villa Kunterbunt is already planed.
The rooms are nice and clean, and outside of the rooms there are comfortable chairs, the perfect place to relax and enjoy. The paintings on the walls are in each room different and very lovely. As a guest you can feel that Tommy and Antje do everything possible to make you feel like at home. The garden whit the little pool is a very romantic place where you can pass the day in a hammock, reading a book or just looking at the nice green and brown iguanas enjoying the sun (eating small insects like ants ;-)), or the naughty little squirrel jumping around in the mango tree. There are also a lot of colourful birds around this place.
Beside all this things you have the possibility to make beautiful dive trips whit Antje. Rent a canoe or the catamaran whit Martin. Go snorkelling or make a hors ride trip.
The way to the little town is just about a twenty minutes walk along the beach, or there is also a small shop a ten minute walk away.
We really look forward to have again a beautiful holiday at Villa Kunterbunt, and we are happy to see Tommy, Antje, Martin, Petra, Bobby and Negra again.
Tom & Regina

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TomZbinden
Reviewed May 16, 2008

I have had the opportunity to stay at the Villas Kunterbunt for 2 years in a row now- this year I stayed for 3 whole weeks. The rooms are clean, simple, comfortable, bright, cheerful, are decorated with some pretty funky Artwork by Tommi and are reasonably priced. If you need something all you have to do is ask. Tommi and Antje are more than willing to help you with anything, from needing an extra towel to providing you with information about the area and near-by beaches. You can spend your time out walking the beautiful beach, snorkeling,diving with Antje, kayaking, and riding the seas with Martin on the Catamaran. Or you can just relax sitting under the palms and enjoy talking with the locals. The location is wonderful if you are looking for a quiet place to get away from it all. It is about a 20-25 minute walk down the beach to the hustle and bustle of Samara. It is also a wonderful location to take in the sunsets with a cold beer on the beach. If you are a breakfast person, Antje and Petra serve up heaping plates of food- all fresh and delicious at a great price. It's a happy and friendly place with much laughter, life and good energy. I highly recommend it if the above are things you value and appreciate.

Tracy from Canada