“Cute & clean place + friendly people & staff”

Tico Adventure Lodge
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed here in April and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was for the price. The rooms are cute, clean and comfortable and most have a little veranda with a hammock. There was a common-fridge in the hall to keep your drinks cold.
There is a lovely little pool tucked into the back of the courtyard which was amazing at the end of a long day of surfing.
The staff and guests were very friendly - I was travelling solo and there was a nice mix of young/ old / Euro / Canadian / US travellers to meet. The guests included singles, couples and even 2 young surf families.
I took surf lessons through the hotel and they were great and affordable.
There is a common kitchen you can use which was nice to make a cup of tea and toast and then go lie in your hammock.
The only funny thing was that in April all the coconut trees drop their seeds/pods and the hotel has tin roofs... what a racket! Anyway, it only happens one week of the year and we all had a laugh about it.
This hotel is a 3 minute walk to the beach. The very small town is safe and friendly with good surf and food.
Happy Travels!

Room Tip: You can request an upstairs room so you have a balcony with more privacy. But the hotel is small so...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 2, 2012

love this place! we have gone to costa rica for the past three years and this has become one of our staples. we love it here. the location is perfect. 2 minute walk to beach. a 2 minute walk to the main street in town. the hotel itself is great. the owners are so sweet and helpful. the rooms are clean and have great balconies with a hammock. the pool is always so cold and refreshing. this past year there were visitors, a family of monkeys that would come almost everyday to eat in the trees surrounding the pool. there is a community kitchen were we would make breakfast every morning. will be back next year to.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2012

At this hotel my cellphone dissapeared July 27th, reported this to management but according to them nothing was found after we left hotel.
I was able to block my phone a couple hours later, but found out that my phone was used during those couple of hours to make local calls in Samara.
Be carefull at this place with your personal belongings!!!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank FransLichtenbeld
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I loved the location, cleanliness and friendliness of the staff! Convenient, to buses and activities in town and the beach! They even have laundry service! I enjoyed my hammock in the afternoons and the pool after a day at the beach. Also, FREE COFFEE ALL DAY LONG! Love their coffee. We had a full size refrigerator outside our room and use of the communal kitchen. That saved us money and we could snack or have drinks in our room. Our room was upstairs in the back of the lodge so it was very quiet all day and at night you could hear some music coming from one of the restaurants. The air conditioner and fan kept it comfortable. I loved how all the units looked like tree houses, with rough hewn tree trunks, fauna, stone and colorful hammocks on the porches. Free WiFi also was available and there was an Apple computer in the office if you really needed to use a computer (which I did at times). Also, there is free WiFi at all the restaurants and an Internet Cafe (w/o cafe') in town. Prices vary during the seasons, but we only paid $45/night for the two of us and it had ALL the amenities we needed. Thank you for making our stay to pleasant! Pura Vida!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Millie Z
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband and I celebrated out 40th anniversary in Samara. We stayed at Tico Adventure Lodge.
I was a little concerned about booking such an important trip at a place sight unseen. Many people were depending on me to find the ideal location. There were up to twenty of us, depending on the day. Places are never as good as the website. Were we ever surprised! The website does not do justice to this wonderful lodge!
The pool is small but perfect for cooling off in and hanging out. If you want to swim laps, go to the beach. The rooms were very clean and all had private balconies or patios! The showers have hot water. Just remember to barely turn them on, not like in the u.s.
The staff was very accommodating. They even set up transfers from the airport and for excursions! Chris, the owner, took us on a waterfall hike that we will always remember. We were able to cook in the treetop and the pool house apts. Of course, you are responsible for buying all of your own food and spices. Although, Janice, the owner, offered to let us borrow any of her spices!
Julie, the receptionist is a real gem. She worked with me for one year to put this trip together. She arranged all of the transfers from the airport. There were five families to deal with, all arriving and leaving at different times. She also located three cribs and carseats for the babies. I had to change our dates and rooms numerous times to fit with the various schedules. Julie did it without a complaint. She was most gracious and pleasant. Julie and Kate, the other receptionist, also babyset for us! We were able to go out for dinner without the babies! How great was that?!
I noticed that some of the disgruntled reviewers mentioned things like bugs and ants. Yes, there were a few, but you are in the jungle!!! What do you expect?! We saw ants, but they never bothered us.
I could not believe that some reviewers were complaining about Chris and Janice, the owners. They could not have been more accommodating or pleasant. Any problems we had, like light bulbs burning out etc, were addressed immediately by the staff. I think it is fair to say that if you treat someone well, they will also treat you well.
The whole staff, from the owners, receptionist, groundsman, and housekeeping staff, went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay.
We could not have picked a more perfect place to stay. If you are planning to have a family gathering, Tico Adventure Lodge is the place! It is less than five minutes walking to the beach. The price is also very reasonable!
Thanks Chris, Janice, Kate, Julie, Jose and the cleaning staff! We will be back! The Sullivan Crew

Room Tip: The best apt is the treetop. Fabulous deck for monkey watching! The mini apt is very nice, but noi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Samara is a top beach spot in Costa Rica - but tiny! So if you're a bit adventurous and willing to take a room off the beach (by, say, two blocks), then you should consider the Tico Adventure Lodge. We stayed in the two bedroom with double loft unit directly over the check-in area, and it has TWO great porches, including one with two hammocks and a perfect place to be outside during one of Costa Rica's unbelievable afternoon downpours. [The other, much smaller porch faces beachside and is its own reward.]

The staff was helpful, the rate was excellent, the bed very comfortable, and the kitchen area had everything you want and need for a beach accommodation. There's also a resident hotel cat who likes to visit, and Congo the three-legged dog is there to greet you at check-in. Overall, a little bit old-school funky but that's what you come to a town like Samara for, isn't it? We would certainly stay there again. And again.

Room Tip: Make sure to write and ask which space might be right for you - there's a great variety and all...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I stayed here with my daughter March 15-17. The rooms (we paid $50 per night for two single beds) were nice and clean and there were hot showers. There is a lot of attention to detail here, especially the tile work, pathways and grounds. My neck hurt from sitting around the pool and watching all the activity in the huge trees on the property - there were always birds, iguanas, butterflies and occasionally monkeys visiting. The owner and staff were really nice too and (Chris?) helped me fix my car. Samara itself is very nice, beautiful beach, lots of restaurants and just enough amenities that you have everything but it is quaint. Paved roads all the way and the further south I got from Liberia and the Tamarindo area, the more tropical it looked and it was only a couple hours drive. We ended up staying an extra night. I highly recommend this, I was very happy for what I got for the price.

Room Tip: The room that backs on to the highway to Carillo has traffic noise but further into the courtyard is...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends