“Very Nice Place and People”

Tico Adventure Lodge
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I stayed here with my daughter March 15-17. The rooms (we paid $50 per night for two single beds) were nice and clean and there were hot showers. There is a lot of attention to detail here, especially the tile work, pathways and grounds. My neck hurt from sitting around the pool and watching all the activity in the huge trees on the property - there were always birds, iguanas, butterflies and occasionally monkeys visiting. The owner and staff were really nice too and (Chris?) helped me fix my car. Samara itself is very nice, beautiful beach, lots of restaurants and just enough amenities that you have everything but it is quaint. Paved roads all the way and the further south I got from Liberia and the Tamarindo area, the more tropical it looked and it was only a couple hours drive. We ended up staying an extra night. I highly recommend this, I was very happy for what I got for the price.

Room Tip: The room that backs on to the highway to Carillo has traffic noise but further into the courtyard is...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Tico Adventure Lodge

Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I (middle-aged Canadian couple) stayed our first night of a month-long stay in Samara in the Tico Adventure Lodge, and we had a very pleasant stay. The staff was very helpful, Bekka, and also the owner Chris. The room was very pleasant, with beautiful wooden floors and walls and furniture on the deck. We moved to an apartment for a month, but if we were only staying a few days, we would have gladly stayed longer at this pleasant hotel. PURA VIDA!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElenaDee
Reviewed March 18, 2012

My wife Katie and I stayed in one of their rooms and were most impressed with the clean room and helpful staff. We were recommended to visit Samara from a friend and had no idea what to do once we arrived...the staff were super helpful and we booked a sea turtle expedition, horseback riding, scuba diving, and the best was the beach bbq...so much fun! thank you.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Tico Adventure Lodge is a great value. We were in unit 4 for 4 nights and had a great stay. We LOVED the hammock porch and the room was comfortable. We loved the area so much, we stayed an extra day and had to move rooms. While at first glance the mini apartment seems a great value, but the room's construction left holes in the wall, making it impossible to cool and greeting mosquitoes at night. Despite the mosquito net provided, we each came away from our single night in the room with at least 10 bites each.
That said, I do recommend this place. The staff are nice and the location is great. It's a good value. Just avoid the mini apartment.

Room Tip: AVOID the mini apartment. Unit 4's balcony is lovely.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank k_travelforthree
Reviewed February 22, 2012

We stayed in the pool house for 2.5 weeks and it was a great time. The staff and owners were really nice and it was a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere. The house had a full kitchen with everything you could wish for, two large bedrooms, each with a shower, and a large room with kitchen with bar counter and a sofa and dining table. Comfortable beds, good ac and superb cleaning. On the terrace we could relax in hammocks or take a drink and play games around the garden table. The garden is stunning with plants and trees. The kids (2 and 5 years) loved to go to the nearby beach with moderate waves and C & C Surf School (our 5 year old daughter still talks about her surfing lesson :)), take a dip in the pool, pat the housedog Congo and chat with all friendly people. Now we are in a snowy Sweden and miss Samara and Tico Adventure Lodge every day!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I wish I could give them a 3.5, but they're a little closer to a 4 than a 3. We drove into Samara without a place to stay and stopped at 5 places. 3 had rooms, and Tico Adventure Lodge was the best of the bunch. We were there during high season and they charged us $80 total for one night. 2 beds, 4 total people (2 couples.) The a/c & refrigerator both worked well, as did the wifi. The "hot water" is better described as luke cold. There were a few ants in the room, but hey, it's the jungle.

It's a quick walk to the beach, which is awesome, and a quick walk into town, which is super mellow. All in all, we liked Samara a lot, and enjoyed TAV.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2012

FIrst, this place is not right on the beach, it's about a block or two and an easy walk. The price reflects this. I think we paid about 45$ for us both. The rooms are small, basic, and very clean. Each room has a balcony with a hammock. The grounds have a very nice atmosphere. We loved the landscaping and greenery. The staff was very friendly. I cannot remember the Aussie gal that checked us in but she was very friendly and gave us a great recommendation for evening drinks (Ariba, will review that one soon). Playa Samara in general is great. A very nice quaint beach town. When I return I will stay at TAL again!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple